Steampunk Water Culture

ohhh yah, well the other slurricane clones are growing nicely. I don’t think any other ones will rot off! Probably be time to clone them again in a week or something like that, the new shoots that are growing after I did the first cloning run are about 4 cm long. If they triple in size, they should make a good clone.

4 Likes

Oh my! I spent a couple hours yesterday, and set up the extraction fan. The vent and the tube were no longer lining up, so I vastly increased efficiency by hooking the flexible duct right to the vent without a metal tube. I’ll post a pic of it in a bit, gotta have a coffee. It’s summer weather here now!

4 Likes

Veg room! The new batch of clones are going to all be a success. It won’t be long now!

4 Likes

@JoeCrowe love what you’re doing with DWC and this entire thread. Lots of valuable info to sift thru for sure! I would love to pick your brain a bit if you don’t mind.

3 Likes

Oh yah, feel free to ask me anything about it!

2 Likes

In your Rubbermaid cloner, you bubble the res with no mister? And the stems of your clones stay submerged right?

2 Likes

Do you use any kind cloning solution for the res?

2 Likes

Yep that’s right I just use an air pump for an aquarium with a stainless nut and T on the end.

IT saves me serious loot in the air stone department that T can be re-used infinitely!
No cloning solution, just plain water with a couple drops of nutrient solution, boost+grow, for robust root growth.

6 Likes

I was really struggling with cloning at first once I started copying joe my success rate has been near perfect :+1:

Same method works great for seedlings also

My next experiment is going to be cloning in full strength nutes with the same res as the mom plants :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Oops I forgot yah the stems are always in the water. Ones in what I call “the splash zone” right over where the bubbles pop from below don’t need to touch the water. The splashing keeps 'em wet enough.

2 Likes

Thats awesome dude. I’m def gonna try the T and stop buying airstones. Currently i use my aerogarden for clones and it does an alright job but for the longest time ive been wanting to build my own cloners. I was under the assumption that I had to use water pumps and misters. But then I stumble upon your thread and I see you use the same set up I already have. Only difference is I use net cups and root cubes to do small DWC seed runs. All I need are the foam clone collars and I’m off to the races! Thank for the info!

2 Likes

Do you ever use any kind of humidity done?

2 Likes

Nope! No dome on the clones!

1 Like

Lookin good there! That Mom is ready for a trim soon :+1:

4 Likes

What’s your success rate?

2 Likes

I would say 100% when I follow the rules :wink: If I slack on cleaning the clone machine or allow light and nutrient to interact, things start to go south.

3 Likes

Those three clones I have will all root, I can see the signs of a healthy clone heh heh. In the final photo is the last batch of clones I rooted, and they were 100% including the ones I dried out then put the stems back in the water again. They came back to life and rooted.

6 Likes

How big is the air pump you’re using for those?

2 Likes

That one has a 2500cc/min pump with 2 outlets plugged into it. I think the lowest I’ve tried is 750cc/min and that works as well. The most important part is the water seems to flow around and it’s cool like 18-20C. It’s actually the flow of the water, as opposed to the bubbles that dissolve the oxygen through continual exposure of new surface areas to atmospheric oxygen.

3 Likes

I have a 32w pump. Says it pumps 60 liters of air per minute. I think that’s like 60,000cc/min lol is that too much? It’s got 6 outlets and I’ll have 3 open.

2 Likes