Strainly site closing down! Update! Strainly is going to stay!

My email came a few days ago. Are there any other sites we can go to? I have Mark on my phone so genetics shouldn’t be a problem but you never know when that shiny new strain will pop up!
Edit: I REFUSE to go back to paying $10 a seed.

8 Likes

I’ve been a member on Strainly for over 3 years, I got the same email 9/7 . Yea, it’s a shame, I suggested maybe to charge a couple bucks to members when a sale is made, if they can’t afford for their service to stay up and running but, who knows. It was a good thing, seems like it should improve as it got bigger rather than closedown abruptly , hopefully they can figure it out and reopen before too long. Later :peace_symbol: ReBoMaN

6 Likes

Yes, there are several plant patents for Cannabis. And there are plant variety protected hemp varieties. I also saw varieties on strainly being resold from people like Oregon CBD, which has material transfer agreements for all their stuff, even if not PVP or patents (probably unenforceable, but they can still cost a lot of money if they sue you).

Personally, I never liked strainly. It is a marketplace of completely unvetted people selling $1000 cuts, F2s of breeder gear, and packs for hundreds of dollars. If you are looking for those types of things, a forum like this, where people develop a reputation and you can look at their post history, seems far better. Maybe it’s the sellers I dont like, not strainly itself. But they could do have done a better job of vetting for grifters. Though its not like most seed banks do a much better job, so maybe I am just a curmudgeon.

12 Likes

Welcome to Overgrow!

8 Likes

I got an email from Strainly earlier this week saying that they are taking the site offline for an indefinite period of time. They asked that I close all my posts there in the next few weeks. Here is the email that I got from them:

We are sorry to inform you that Strainly will have to go on a hiatus in the coming weeks.

The current circumstances, combined with the challenges faced by our industry (e.g. access to basic business services such as payment processing, social media, funding…) forced us to make this difficult decision.

If you have active listings, we would please need you to close them within the next 10 days.

You will have 3 weeks to complete pending transactions, provide tracking number and ensure delivery. If you still have pending transactions by 09-30, please reach out to us.

If you have a Pro or Premium plan, all your credits have been applied to your current listings.

In case you are wondering, our servers and databases have remained secured since we launched Strainly 4 years ago. You have strictly nothing to worry about when it comes to your information.

We are hopeful we’ll come back stronger when the dust settles.

Do not hesitate if you have questions.

6 Likes

Its true they are shutting down in 9 days…I contacted them and they may come back sometime in 2021.

I’m glad they are. I got ripped off for $80 of seeds I ordered and they never germinated and then the fucker disappeared. Fuck you Nick and rest in piss Strainly.

6 Likes

Do you have any links to the story about killings? I hadn’t heard about that. I’ve hardly had any time to sit at the computer. Thanks.

edit: I just found it with a google. Thx

3 Likes

Something is amiss with the riverside murder story. Id guess they were selling meth or heroin. Whoever murdered probably took all of those drugs. NYT said $5m in plants in a house. At $2k per pound that’s 2500 pounds growing. In a house??

3 Likes

Ha! I dealt with Nick ONE TIME…Same as you NO GERMINATION. Luckily it was not for a lot of $$.

However, I have had a few dealings with others that came off great…ie: Mama Funk Clones (before she stopped shipping), Mark, Demonic, 7east Genetics, Shoreline, Captain Redbeard, OTT, and a few others.

Strainly performed an alternate service that was pretty darn good for me. I would not blame Strainly for a few rotten apples.

9 Likes

Heh, sounds like me. Used it once and sent $40 to ‘Victoria’/‘Subcool The Dank’ for some My Sharona seeds and as far as I can tell, she never shipped them. I asked after 6 weeks if she sent them and said she did but she’ll reship and send me tracking # the next day, needless to say, I never got a tracking # and after 2 more months of waiting, I never got any seeds. Thankfully it was only $40.

3 Likes

IMHO the issue with strainly is the average user not being able to tell who was legit and who were crooks. Plus with so many other platforms connecting growers nowadays the way it was set up wasn’t a very good business platform.
The good news is we still have OG :slight_smile:

10 Likes

$5mil reported would be street value, probably calculated at $20 a g. Roughly 560lbs and/or plants (even seedlings and clones are counted at a lb equivalent in many states). So easily reachable with a SOG setup. I once was busted in SW Florida with 9 grams. Cost me $50 for the 14g when I bought it… they reported it as worth $180. They’re a bit worse down there in other places though. Buddy of mine got busted selling crack. When they pulled him over he ground it into the floor of the car. They weighed the car and charged him with the weight of it as the container. The judge got a good chuckle out of it before throwing it out. My buddy even flat out admitted he had crack, that he was selling it, and that he tried to get rid of it. Still got thrown out on the absurdity of the charge (1k lbs).

4 Likes

There were sellers like @BOG, Shoreline, 7East, Captain Redbeard, Mama Funk Clones, Jinxproof, etc. that were known entities and many had their own sites too. I have bought from these and a few others, and the results were (are) outstanding for the most part. That seller…“Mark” has the $1 seeds…pay only AFTER receipt! He even sent freebies, and the strains appear to be the real deal (12 for 12 germed…4 strains so far). I just flipped one of his Bubba Kush last night, and will flip a Blue Dream later this week.

As with anything, it was up to the users to preform their own due diligence before spending any $.

I bought from that guy Nick, based only on his feedbacks, and was more annoyed at the time that I wasted, rather than the $40 I blew.

9 Likes

I know there was legit folks on there. And I do agree with the due diligence like with most things.
That is actually why I never used strainly. Anyone reputable could be found elsewhere usually. The pictures being used by a lot of the crooks the got from elsewhere. ( there are so called breeders away from strainly who love to steal peoples pictures and pass it off as their own )
You don’t have to use strainly to find shady crooks. Hell there are lots of breeders with their own sites that are as shady scam artist as it gets. It just always seemed weird to build a site for people to buy gear where they usually had to use other sites and platforms to try to verify the seller.
Here on OG it can all be done on the one site.

4 Likes

I agree with a cavaet…
There are things that we don’t have access to from the great people on OG…

1 Like

There are indeed , but the great people on OG can also usually steer someone in the right direction to find it. Without being scammed for dollars along the way . From day one that was my only problem with strainly. It was ripe as hell for the ripoff artists.

4 Likes

R.I.P Strainly

3 Likes

fuck strainly

4 Likes