- syzygy's journal - the clown show

I do :man_shrugging: The bracht’s. The trimmed up flowers. The overall plant structure. The full-leaf morphology, not focusing on the width of the blades more so the overall shape of the leaf and direction of the blades… It doesn’t matter either way, but to me it looks related despite the vigor, stretch, and branching differences.

9 Likes

Odds are good that they’re probably related, just because I think a lot of these OG types are clearly related. And a lot of these cannabis strains in general, “OG” or not, are related simply because of the “building blocks” that were used to create them.

But if they don’t grow the same and they don’t smell the same and they don’t taste the same and they don’t smoke the same… Ya know? Sounds like nube noticed some pretty big differences between the Bubba and the Irene.

9 Likes

The brachts are the only real similarity I see in my recent grows of both cuts. Have you grown these cuts? If so, please post some of your own pics that highlight the similarities you mention.

The plant structure of Bubba is big, thick strong yet flexible stalks with distinct ribs on them, and it produces main stalks without excessive side branching - Bubba produces very few suckers, but Irene produces tons of thin, round branches without ridges, and her branches are very brittle and snap cleanly with very little stress. Bubba has almost no stretch, and forms budset at the tops where they are at flip; whereas Irene has a fair amount of stretch and goes in all directions after flip.

The leaf morphology and direction of Bubba is big, flat fat blades that overlap in the middle. Irene has long, thinner blades that don’t have that oblong fatness in the middle when producing 5 and 7 blade leaves, so they don’t overlap. Also, Irene’s leaves curl down along the length of the leaf, much like FarmerJoe’s TK.

Even the dried, trimmed flowers just don’t look anything like each other. I’ve heard other people claim this supposed connection, but they haven’t shown any proof of their claims or even pics of the same cuts from their own grows. There’s no way to be certain, but I have recent, firsthand experience with both, so I’m not larping. :man_shrugging:

:peace_symbol:

13 Likes

I thought this was really useful for putting my concerns to rest a bit. I’d say the bubba may be the healthiest looking of everything and Irene just looks like a small stick that hasn’t done much. It’s alive, still looks healthy enough, but I was starting to wonder about it and so I really appreciated that comment specifically haha.

As a side note, given the thinner leaves am I clear to call the IRENE an NLD?

Joking but I love all the commentary and welcome any other comments, especially about the cuts I’m anticipating growing.

10 Likes

What are those? This is like the fifth time today I’ve seen someone mention suckers and I have no idea what those are. They sound bad, though haha.

8 Likes

basically side shoots or branches that form in-between leaf nodes. A lot of people prune off “suckers” with tomatoes with the thought that they are going to focus plant energy on a few main stems. Similar concept with lollipopping Cannabis plants I believe.

9 Likes

Oh, okay, so just like the little branches and stuff? Where the “larf” grows? Haha. I don’t mind those.

That’s why I thought people were calling them “suckers.” I wonder if they’re really a “bad” thing, though. Anyway…

8 Likes

I think it depends. I favor pruning in small containers in order to attempt to reduce stresses. It’s a bit easier to meet nutrient and moisture needs that way. It also improves airflow which in my eyes is necessary when dealing with stressed (root constricted) plants. So for me, I value pruning for a variety of reasons whether it’s on Cannabis or Tomatoes but my primary focus is never yield with either plants. Ease of maintenance and plant health is more my focus with tomatoes and yield kind of just naturally comes with the territory when a plant is healthy. This is also assuming the genetics are decent.

I think there’s also something to running the same cut over and over again and learning various ways to influence the morphology and “dial it in”.

12 Likes

Glad to help at least a little. It seems like watering is the key limiting factor with Irene. As soon as she figured it out in her own SIPs and didn’t have to compete with Bubba, she blew up. But then she also revegged under 18/6, so blah! lol Also, definitely not NLD. :wink:

Yeah, what @syzygy said. They are bad. Suckers are all the tiny, thin little branches that make larf in the undercanopy where budsites get very little light. Some plants produce more, some plants produce less. Irene produces a TON of these, but Bubba produces basically none of them.

Look at my pics from day 10 of flowering in the review for lots of examples when you zoom in. Chem D does this, as does the NN cut of Lavender Jack. If you don’t trim them, they tend to be where bugs, PM, and nanners show up, so most people just lollipop and take off all suckers. That’s what I started doing with them as well.

I’ve found suckers to be a negative trait in several of bodhi’s Appy crosses I’ve grown or seen grown by others IRL, including specifically Pura Vida, Mother’s Milk, Lucky Charms, Good Medicine, Cobra Lips, Mountain Temple, and this Lavender Jack.

The commercial horticultural industry has developed all sorts of techniques for improving the size and quality of fruit and veggie crops, and one of those involves selective pruning. While you may not do it much, it does improve the quality and size of your crop. I strongly suggest it since it’s not much effort but has such a substantial benefit.

Along those lines, I learned a lot of new data that has refined my focus for future flower runs from this presentation by one of Bruce Bugbee’s grad students:

:peace_symbol:

P.S. I’ve used extension tubes with my Canon Rebel XSi. They do help, but severely limit your depth of field and are super fiddly with regards to motion, so you must use a tripod and remote shutter.

11 Likes

Hm. Okay. I’ll look out for those suckers. I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed them, but I also really just get in and out of the grow room and don’t examine my plants closely except every now and then when I wanna see if there’s any sacs, totally paranoid about being in the room with the plants for an extended period of time. I try to avoid my plants as much as possible haha. Good to know, though, anyway.

I did do something weird and completely spontaneous the other day, didn’t really put any thought into it while I was doing it, but I just “super cropped” one of the plants and now I’m sorta freaking out about it haha.

8 Likes

Supercropping is awesome! I started doing that with every branch of TK and told a few other people and now we’re all able to manage TK’s stretch and flop a lot better than before! It’s so cool to see stems you crushed repairing and creating a big knuckle the very next day.

It really stops those tallest sites in their tracks, but doesn’t hurt production when you do it successfully. The only problem is when you crush too much and break the stem, but all I do in that case is tape it up with masking tape and it usually heals itself in a week or two.

:green_heart:

13 Likes

I have bubba and Irene side by side now again, same size pots, same size plants. Day 14F. I’ll keep those updated in my thread

but for shits and gigs here are some finished/ unfinished a couple days ago
Irene

Bubba

21 Likes

Interesting to hear thanks! May give it a try when I have money to burn. They are substantially cheaper than getting a higher magnification aftermarket lens which would have the same issue as well.

I’m sure you’ve seen them, but you may not have identified them as a problem. Basically any lower or inner-canopy branches with lame or pathetic growth. The buds often don’t develop properly, are extremely airy of leafy as well. As @nube pointed out these are good places for bugs to set up shop as they are a bit safer from predation and other conditions are present that favor them (poor airflow).

Awesome, thanks for adding these! Have you had the chance to sample the c91 yet? I’m curious what your (or anyone else’s) take on it has been.

10 Likes

Do you super-crop when they’re in flower, though, or just vegging?

The only reason I did it was because one of the Wat Phos was way taller than everything else and I had just read on Greasy’s thread about how he’d done it with his plants. It really was a sort of out of body experience, though. I feel like if you’d have taken a picture of me, my eyes would’ve been all glazed over haha, totally “not there” at all, just crushing stems like a zombie or something.

We’ll see what happens with that plant. One of the other ones is also taller (and getting taller every day) and I started to crush some of her stems, too, but then I snapped out of my trance and stopped haha.

7 Likes

I have sampled Chem 91 and TK. They have the same kind of potency for me. But

I prefer the Chem 91 vs the TK.
I enjoy the sociable kush high from the TK but I get a more heady cerebral effect from the 91 that I enjoy more. I also prefer the flavor of the 91.

Now I just have to grow the 91 to see if I like the way it grows.

11 Likes

It grows basically the exact same as TK. Maybe slightly more branchy but otherwise exactly the same.

7 Likes

Hey @syzygy , not sure if you’ve already posted this info somewhere but just curious how much light you giving your girls for flower ? In terms of wattage.

5 Likes

Greasy just put out some reviews too in his thread just now… I cant get enough of these reviews haha. Thanks for everyone who put info out there!

Here’s some TSA / REJ photo dumps. I love TSA.

REJ

TSA

22 Likes

About 400-450 watts I think. 6x 50w cobs & a 125-150w board in the middle which I got for free as an xmas gift a few years ago. I could measure PAR in a bit if you want, but I think I started using the cobs in 2018 or 2019 so I’m sure the output is reduced a bit.

Those bar lights I see everyone using look awesome, love how evenly distributed the light is under them. I cant justify the cost to upgrade though unless something breaks.

Edit

On average at canopy level 950umol.

Spirit HP is a bit taller so it’s getting about 1200-1300 umol being closer to the lights.

10 Likes

ahh okay very nice. it sounds like you probably have quite a good even distribution of light with all those cobs. either way the results speak for themselves. I was just curious if you had to use lower wattage due to the 1 gallon containers.

5 Likes