Tents full of happiness and love ft. Bodhi and friends

They are all gorgeous. I love that last Rainbow Belts shot. What a Loaded bud! Great work!

9 Likes

Hah hard to blame the smell on BO in a professional setting! I never noticed my clothes stinkin too bad but Im sure it could be the case :japanese_ogre:

11 Likes

Hm, I dunno if I constantly smell like weed haha, but that’s for sure one of the reasons why I always liked working in restaurants. Restaurant people are always strung out on something; weed’s, like, the least of the owner’s worries haha.

Still, though, you’d think your girl’s co-workers might be a little more forgiving and just not really care all that much. I mean, y’all do live in Portland haha…

12 Likes

Thanks! I made a cross of Rainbow Belts 2.0 x Baba Kush - happy to send you some to test if you’d like.

Haha! I’ll just tell her not to shower for a couple of days, maybe the BO will mask the smell! I don’t notice it either, but I’m just so used to it, it’s hard to pick up on anymore.

That’s been my experience as well, when I was working in a restaurant I also used to smoke cigs (only way to get a break) and do bumps of coke to get through shifts.

Nah, they’re actually being cool and looking out for her. They don’t really care that she smells like dank, they all smoke anyways. But, they’re trying to let her know that if she’s going to be meeting with people for grant money or meeting with higher ups at the hospital/VA that she might not want to reek like she just ran through a weed forest. I mean, most people ARE cool with it here, but let’s not pretend like there’s no stigma associated with being a cannabis user; usually being portrayed as the lazy, unmotivated, and mentally slow. We know that’s not really true, but I don’t make up the stereotypes that society accepts… nor the rules and silly games you have to play to get what you want in life sometimes.

17 Likes

youarehimandiamit, That is a spectacular invitation. AND I accept lol
Hoping you have a great week ahead. There will be a message in your Box.

Thanks Waay in advance

~mb

2 Likes

Haha, that’s so funny, man. I had a friend who didn’t smoke who was constantly saying,”Jesus, man, I’m on the line for ten hours straight; I’m gonna start smoking just so I can sit outside for five minutes…” I think he was the only person I’ve ever known who worked in restaurants who didn’t smoke.

Haha, yeah, that makes sense. I get that.

Still, though… You know those hospital higher-ups/CEO-types are having some weird (and kick-ass) Eyes Wide Shut-style hooker orgy things every weekend. That’s what they do! Haha… Blow’s okay, paying for sex is okay, but weed isn’t?

Anyway, sorry, man. I’m on one right now. Just ignore me.

9 Likes

Everybody needs to be humbled every now and then and I guess I was due.

I don’t exactly know how they got me, most likely lax protocol on my part, but they got me.

Rhopalosiphum rufiabdominale - Rice Root Aphids - or Winged Root Aphids

I’ve found them on my flowering Sour D and Giesel primarily, but after checking all my mother plants, they’re present there too. No sign of them in the tent with the TK x Iraqi, yet. I’m trying to avoid going in that area as much as possible to avoid cross-contamination, but they may be inevitable there too.

I could lament over chopping most everything, but that’s not really gonna help anyone. I don’t fuck around with bugs. I thought about trying to limp through flower, and do some kind of treatments, but nah, best to eliminate as much contaminated material as possible from the space. I’ve been spending time cloning anything I haven’t flowered yet, dipping all the clones, and setting up another area away from the primary grow where they’ll be kept. I don’t have anything that couldn’t really be replaced anyways. The rest of my weekend is going to be spent cleaning the tents again, moving all my old soil outside, removing pots and anything that could be infected with eggs or whatever out of the grow space.

The thing that threw me for a loop, is that my plants looked relatively healthy, and there wasn’t any evidence of bite marks or anything like that on the leaves. I only discovered them because I saw what I thought was a pile of dust outside the Sour D fabric pot, and upon closer inspection realized that dust was moving around. Typically symptoms of an infestation are that your plants start looking like they have deficiencies, even though you know you’ve been feeding or your soil has plenty of nutes. They use their little suckers to suck the sap out of the roots, but also weaken the plant by creating open wounds in the root system, exposing them to other pathogens.

Going forward is the only thing I can do. Luckily, I just purchased new Promix, fresh compost and 50 pounds of Rice hulls and pumice a week or so ago, and that stuff has all be stored away from the grow area. I’ve got to mix new soil, I’ve still got a bit of Craft Blend so I may use that, but I’m still deciding what other things to add. I’ve got awhile to figure it out.

I learned that I need to be more diligent with some kind of myco-insecticide. I need to vary the type of myco insecticides that I’m using too. I also probably need to add more beneficial nematodes and predator mites from the get go, as I haven’t purchased any it awhile, though I do still see the occasional rove beetle. I also need to scope the root zone more often (very hard to do in the SIPs), to check for any issues. I need to scope the root zone better for any rooted clones. I also need to be more careful about cross contamination. My grow area is not some hermetically sealed chamber (it’s impossible in my situation) but there are things I could do better, like changing clothes and not wearing shoes from the outside… stuff that’s easy to get slack with.

It’s also little arrogant for me to assume I can run all these plants and not expect any issues, I was kind of bummed at first, but realized this is just part of gardening. At least I learned something.

For anyone I sent clones to, I’m truly sorry for not noticing the issue sooner. I keep all the outgoing clones in a separate tent and area away from the main flowering and mom area, but would still hate to be spreading anything around. From what I’ve read, a good dip in horticultural oil will suffocate the larvae, eggs, and adults. But also a PSA to everyone else out there, scope your root zones!

I don’t know if I’m gonna keep this log updated as much anymore, I’ve been spending more time in front of the computer than in the garden, and it shows.

Anyways, here were the Sour D, Giesel, Forbidden Fruit, and MM31 right before chop… love the purple that was coming in on the FF…

Back to steaming the cracks of my grow tents, and blowing out the crevices of my lights… Here’s to starting fresh. :beers: Good luck to everyone and their grows!

26 Likes

Sorry you’re having to deal with this, but those root shots are really fantastic for showing the density of populations and various stages of life. Way more helpful than some of the old RA pictures that I remember seeing people post in the past. Have you narrowed down any thoughts for how they got in to your garden? IE from bagged soil, receiving clones, leaving a window open etc. I know you mentioned changing clothes / shoes is a protocol you need to be more diligent about.

Think this resonates with a lot of us, at least myself.

Are entomopathogenic fungi a viable path? I’ve never dealt with root aphids on cannabis before but I do remember people used to use Metarhizium anisopliae years ago and it seemed like a good idea for prevention(tradename met52). Beauveria bassiana is another that is seems to be more accessible nowadays. As always be safe with whatever you choose to use, just because something is natural or living doesn’t mean it’s good to expose yourself to it. Especially via inhalation.

I’d assume predatory mites can only be so helpful as the commercially available ones will only protect the shallow surface of the soil that they occupy because they don’t travel great depth into the soil. Great for fungus gnat larvae but probably only very mildly effective for RA.

Seems better and safer to me personally, but I will admit my bias against BAS.

16 Likes

Hmmm… The clones? Interesting… But not surprising.

Anyway, sorry to hear it, dude. But don’t bounce just yet.

8 Likes

Wow bummer, but super informative post. I’ve never dealt with those little shits.

Feel free to hit me up if you want anything from my stable. Your cleaned up tent looks beautiful. Looks great to get growing again!

11 Likes

I should probably post the pictures in the pest section as well, maybe it will help someone else out.

I’m thinking either clones, or houseplants from the nursery, as we do have a bunch in a separate area that I’ve found some on as well. But once they grow wings, they can fly anywhere, so it’s like a chicken and egg situation there. Could be infested bagged soil as well, though I think that’s less likely, as the TKI’s are in some of that bagged soil and I haven’t found issues there, yet. I don’t think they actually came in with the clones that are most infected (Sour D and Giesel), that’s just where Ive noticed them most. I’m thinking I’ve had them since the tail end of my last grow and that they were actually in my SIPs, but I can’t pinpoint the vector for infection, only speculate.

Only as a preventative probably. Once their numbers are outta hand, I’m not sure what could be done. Maybe something that’s really not good for the environment will take care of them, pyrethrums, or Imidacloprid is another one I see recommended, but I’d like to avoid those if possible. Soils dunks with neem and azamax help too, but I’m not willing to go through all that and fail. I am fortunate in that Evergreen Growers Supply is about 20 minutes away from me and they stock beneficial insects, nematodes, myco and biological insecticides. They recommend PFR-97 rotated with Venerate CG, but that PFR-97 is way expensive (I can buy new soil for as much as it cost, and it only last 30-35 days and you have to keep it refrigerated). I do need a restock on the Beauveria bassiana, so I’m gonna head over and grab some stuff from them, just to have on hand going forward. And yeah, even those myco or bacterial based insecticides come with warnings to wear a mask and long sleeves and not reenter the area for like 4 hours - we don’t know wtf breathing that stuff does to us.

Unfortunately, they don’t make met52 anymore, according to Evergreen, but they’re looking for another manufacturer.

Rove Beetles and Hypoaspis or Stratiolaelaps would probably only help to keep some numbers in control, and as a preventative, but I don’t know how deep in the soil they’d travel. Still not bad to have around though. I will probably add those once I mix up some new soil.

Yeah, my indoor soil will just be moved to outdoor for either the veggie garden or my outdoor plants this year, so I guess not a total waste. Hopefully nature will correct any overabundance of aphids, larvae, or eggs present. I will admit that I could go find all the amendments for soil myself, and calculate what I need in my mix, and I’m choosing the lazy way using the BAS stuff. Some of the best herb I’ve ever grown I simply used blood, bone and kelp meal, not my favorites, but they do work.

Haha, yeah, yeah. I knew I was playing with fire with all these clones, but I don’t actually think that those were the point of infection. At least, not the Sour D and Giesel. Could have been the Jack or the ones from Archive, I’ll really never know though. I’m not turned off from clones either, I just need to be more thorough.

Oh, I’ll be around, just need to devote some more time to the garden and other parts of my life.

Me neither, I only recently learned of their existence, glad someone found it helpful though.

Thanks dude! I still have almost everything in clone form, just gotta make sure everything is clean going forward before getting set back up.

14 Likes

Dealt with quite a few companies that sell biologicals over the years and those guys are my clear favorite. Seem by far the most knowledgeable and always high quality and vitality dealing with them. You’re very lucky to live so close, overnight shipping is the only downside haha.

Yeah for sure. Ounce of prevention / pound of cure and all that.

The fungus rarely infects humans or other animals, so it is generally considered safe as an insecticide. However, at least one case of human infection by B. bassiana has been reported in a person with a suppressed immune system.[17] Additionally, the spores may exacerbate breathing difficulties.

– wikipedia

13 Likes

That’s farmin’, lol! Sorry to hear of you, or anyone having growing problems, but for me it’s the only way I’ve learned… and the worse the problems, the less I tend to forget!

Good luck with the recovery, and if I have anything you need, or want, holler :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Man, isn’t that the truth!!

9 Likes

@iamyou_youareme Thanks for the Prompt on Stacking Macro Shots. I’ve spent a bit of time stacking images at the other end of the scale… I’m gonna take it a little closer Thanks

Will keep you posted. Beautiful work by the way !!!

19 Likes

Cool shots! I especially like the second image, those power/hydro towers are cool… love the symmetry and all the star trails from the long exposure.

I’ve been working on a bit of stacking myself. I’d recommend everyone give it a shot if they have the patience and hardware. Zerene Stacker is free for 30 days.

Here’s Bodhi’s Baba Kush #5 I just finished up… I’m still working on the write up for them all. This one was the outlier from them all though… I love this herb!

31 Likes

Drooling over here that’s such a good picture makes me stoked to into some baba f2s going to do them with mendo sunshine f2s in a run or two love some ssdd :drooling_face:

8 Likes

What a Beauty. OK, I’m hooked lol
Thanks again…

2 Likes

Dang that baba kush turned out great for you. Has me excited to try out two ssdd crosses I got recently - the purple kush cross and the butterscotch one. Both are similar indica kush x ssdd.

11 Likes

Baba Kush 1

Growth: The growth out this one was the outlier of the bunch. She grew straight up, thick main stalk, very little lateral branching. The buds grew in small compact clusters, very close to the main stalk. Big fan leaves shaded the inner bud growth, but the buds maintained density, just on the smaller side, especially the inners. Node spacing between the buds was average. Stretch during flower was lower than average, height didn’t exceed 45 inches (with pot included). Note: This plant was grown in a plastic 1 gallon grow bag, while the other 5 girls were in fabric 3 gallon grow bags.

Yield: below average. Buds are small and dense, grinder needed. Reminded me of Bubba buds I’ve gotten from the dispensary.

Smells after drying: earthen, sweet chocolate, herbal, kush (kush to me smells like a delicate baby powder type smell, but pungent in it’s own way)

Smoke: Tastes translates well to smoke, more on the sweeter side. Very smooth exhale, no coughing. Method: Bong

High/Effects: very strong. Soon after exhale, I feel expansion in my head; that kind of “headband” feeling. Five minutes after partaking I felt almost a bit disoriented, a slight queasy, dizzy or spinning feeling. Easy to lose your train of thought. Time slows down. It would be hard to get things done. Will save this one for the evening time to unwind, or mediate, as the high makes me mentally slow, but able to reflect upon previous events. Minimal body effects from this one, surprisingly.

Baba Kush 2

Growth: This one grew very nice and compact. Good branching from the base and a nice little candelabra shape, without any topping. I called this one spiky, cuz I felt the leaves looked very aggro, with sharp and pointy edges, even the buds had pointy little leaves poking out. Shorter internode spacing, low stretch. Top buds were heavy, lowers got a bit smaller than average on this one. This one seemed hungrier than the rest, I didn’t consider any of them truly heavy feeders though.

Yield: Average. Buds have a nice medium density to them, not too compact, like the cookies/hype shit that dominates the legal weed scene. Slightly leafy, and spongey.

Smells after drying: savory and spicy kitchen herbs, slight mustard and peppercorn, slightly sweet finish. Pungent.

Smoke: First hit was kinda sharp tasting on the inhale, flavor dissipates quickly, tasting about average. The second hit tasted WAAYY sweeter for some reason, kinda caramel-like. No cough, but not quite as smooth as the others. Method: Bong

High: notable body effect; feels like I can feel all the nerve endings in my teeth, or makes my teeth real sensitive. I feel a sharpened sense of sound. Kind of makes me tense, a little on edge feeling, like I should be ready for something to happen. Pretty strong effect on this one too… Not quite the body effect I was hoping for from the SSDD though. Mind calms soon, leaving me a tad tired feeling, and looking for food.

Baba Kush 3

Growth: Another nicely shaped, indica dominate plant. More compact is structure. The main cola stretched a bit more than the others, but maintained nice branching. Probably one of those plants that would have done way better if topped. I liked the tear drop shaped buds that formed.

Yield: Average. Buds are more dense on this one, but break away to nice little nuglets. Can break up by hand if needed. Not too much leaf.

Smells: salty/spicy/floral/grassy/kush. I ate some beef jerky the day before writing this, it kinda of reminded me of that, at first smell, for some reason?

Smoke: Sweet on the inhale and sweeter on exhale, nice and smooth, no cough. Method: Vaped thru Volcano.

High: Potent. Psychedelic edge to this one. Not visual, just a similar headspace, only at first. The ride slows soon. Auditory perception change. Music sounds more interesting. Sucked into film or TV shows easily. Nerve simulation, possible pain relief. Heavy feeling behind/above the eyes. Mellows out to relaxing, munchie filled evening. Method: Vaped in Volcano

Baba Kush 4

Growth: very nice plant. Like the others, this one had nice sturdy branching, none of the plants needed any kind of staking or ties towards the end, when the buds are heavy. They all held their own weight, even with some seeds in the buds. The branches that were hanging were because I kinda broke ‘em getting them out of the tent a few times. Internode spacing was on par with the others. This plant stacked up really nice. Enormous floral cluster development on this one. It was the tallest plant, but only like 47 inches or something like that. Probably another good candidate for topping, but I really like seeing how the plants grow naturally the first time growing them. This one, I felt like was one of the nicer blends between the Bubba Kush and the SSDD, I feel like the SSDD upped the bud size like crazy, but still had some smells of what I assume to be ‘Katsu’ Bubba in there, as well.

Yield: Above average. Large, crystal coated buds, that are on the softer side, but the thick shell of dried resin makes them crunchy on the outside. Yielded the best

Smells after drying: not the loudest girl on the block, milder smelling. When you break up the buds though, you get nice gentle floral/grassy smells mixed with chem/cleaner/kush smells. Might be one of those that smells better after drying for a longer amount of time too. Smells good, but not the strongest out of the group.

Smoke: very nice taste, a lot of the gentle floral taste comes through, very very smooth. Above average in this department. Method: Bong

High: SSDD like effects, relaxing body feel, calmness washes over me. No head rush, a gentle wave of warmness and comfort comes and goes. It is stoney … but also has some flow state inducing qualities, where you become completely engulfed in what you’re doing, time seems to melt away. The time dilation seems to be a common theme in these highs.

Baba Kush 5

Growth: following suit, this plant was short and compact with a candelabra shape. Sturdy branches with dark green, larger fan leaves, not super leafy, but could have plucked plenty. Low stretch, great bud spacing on this one if you’re looking for compact and nicely stacking buds, but still enough room to spread out the branches, if needed. This was my favorite plant outta of the pack. Something about her was special. Medium density buds that are just dripping with trichomes.

Yield: Below average. While she stacked ok on the main cola, and the tops were OK, the lowers were quite small after drying. The clusters are small as well, the bracts/calyx are smaller teardrop looking, with tinges of purple at the tips. More leaf in the buds, but it’s ok, because they’re coated anyway.

Smells after drying: fucking good…excellent! I would dive into a pool of this smell, and coat myself with it, if that was a thing. I don’t really know how to put in words, pungent but delicate, like fresh air cleaners and herbs, mixed with dried flowers and corn chips. Cologne-like. 10/10, would smell again.

Smoke: tastes really, really good, love smoking weed like this. Good to the last drop. I feel the smoke deep in my lungs, but like breathing out fresh air on the exhale; smoother than the dude that stole your girl. Would have liked to run this one again to see if I could’ve really dialed her in. Method: Bong and Volcano Vape

High: Might be her only weak spot. This one does the job, but I don’t get any of the warm body effects, this one is all in the head. It makes me feel good… it’s not a bad high, I feel relaxed, like time is slowing down, good for watching movies, chilling on the couch, or playing the git-fiddle or fucking around on the synthesizer, gaming… but, it is a little short lived… I find myself wanting to smoke more, which is quite alright, it tastes so good, you won’t have to ask me twice.

Baba Kush 6

Growth: similar in structure to the other girls, short and stocky frame. The buds on this one were on the firmer side, but not rock hard, still having a nice squeeze to them. Branches stuck close to the main stalk, like BK3. Nice candidate for topping, scrog-ing. Easy to care for, not fussy at all. Crystal coated buds as well, but really none of them lacked in the trich department.

Yield: Average to above average. Buds are nice and chunky, but give way to easy to break down herb. Buds are a little leafy. Trichomes are not tacky or oily feeling on any of them, more brittle and sandy feeling.

Smells after drying: Pungent, strong like the BK5, but more of this funk, buttery corn chips thing going on with the backend. Has an aftershave, cheap cologne smell when you pop the jar though. Really nice smelling, I like opening this jar. Funky!

Smoke: tastes really good as well, a woody, cologne taste. Smooth and no cough, the smoke is gentle and not thick or yellow, it’s white and pure. Method: Bong

High: Similar to BK5, this one leaves me wanting a little more. It’s not bad by any means, it’s nice and gentle, probably the most functional outta the bunch. It doesn’t knock ya in the head. It’s not going to make you want to get up and run around the block though.

Males

Not much to say about the boys, one was much shorter and stockier than the others. I got whiffs of buttery funk from them. I wish I could have grown them out to their true potential under the sun, they were stuck under 315w CMH. I could see a little bit of trichs on the flowers, but nothing I’d consider a “frosty male”. Two of them did sport female flowers at the very tops, I saw a few pistils poking out…

I did also find the tiniest male flower on BK6, on one of the lowers, the only evidence of intersex on the females… nature, uh, finds a way.

Summary

I loved growing out this pack, might have been my favorite pack from B to date. Something about the SSDD is special, for certain people, myself being one of them. I did grow out the original SSDD in 2017-2018, only found two females, but I like all of these girls better than the two I found in the SSDD… maybe, haha, I’d need to do a side by side. Despite getting root aphids halfway through this grow, the plants performed great, I don’t think they skipped a beat. I think all of them grew, and smell great, in their own way.

I believe the mash up between the Bubba and the SSDD is a good one, bringing out some of the more heavy nighttime effects. In all honesty, I want to familiarize myself with the Katsu Bubba cut in order to tell what smells and traits come from each parent. I’m liking what I see with the SSDD dad though, I’d like to grow some more crosses of it to see how dominate it is, and if the warming and calming effect gets passed along with it consistently, as it didn’t really seem to, in my case. I don’t suffer from any type of nerve pain, or pain at all really, so I can not truly comment on the pain reliving qualities anyways.

I don’t think the high from any of these plants is gonna make anyone energetic, or social, but I could be wrong. Take all my observations on effects, and smells, with a grain of salt, becuz that shit works differently for everyone. Also, I could come back in six months with some different ideas. I need to smoke some J’s of it as well. The herb changes over time, my thoughts may as well. In conclusion though, If you like stoney, great tasting, easy smoking, chill out weed… look no further.

40 Likes