That strain is mine!

According to Seedman/RSC, the Lebanese landrace is a great breeder and does not do as you suggest. Nor have many of my Mexican landraces. They have grown the same year in and year out and in different west coast locations. I am breeding an early sativa pheno line from the Lebanese. The best early one I got this year bloomed the 3rd week July and finished the second week in September, which is great for PNW weather. I had this gal cut and drying when the early rains came this year. I bred her to a Lebby sativa pheno male. They were from different sources; the female from BlueHemp/Swiss x the male from RSC/UK. Wide spectrum genes from the same landrace.

Off the top of my head from memory, Chem Dog/Dawg is a line from Dog Bud, grown in Colorado (Crested Butte). It is said to be a strain from either NorCal or Southern Oregon. I believe it is from NorCal, as it is similar to some other tightly held indicas that I have from some long time indoor growers there. I lived in Southern Oregon for years only a stone’s throw from where some claim it is from there, but I never saw anything like it around there. Its origins may be extinct, but I do not think so. The original Chems from Dog Bud were few (11 or 13 seeds, I forget) and all S1 crosses. So they have hermie genes and they are a narrow spectrum of genetics from one clone of whatever Dog Bud was. All the Chems and OG Kush strains that I have grown were variable mutants. They grew stems from the center of leaves, they branched from leaf stems, they grew different under lights than in the sun. They also got really shiny fan leaves that turned variable odd colors in the fall, typically bronze. As for the differences in Chem lines, they vary slightly in genotype, and thus in expressed phenotype. The chemotypes are virtually identical, IMO.

One thing to note as well. Several groups are offering genetic profiling for strains to put into the public domain. Seemingly in fear that some big company will patent a strain, and prevent anyone else from growing it. However, note that in the US, only clones of one plant can be patented. You cannot patent seedlings or seeds from any plants (except in the case of GMO seeds). For non-GMOs, only one plant and its clones can get a patent. Every seedling of every strain of every kind of plant will have a different genetic footprint, so with the exception of clones and cuts, MJ plants cannot be patented in the way that many fear they can be. Some GMO patents are due to expire as well, so there will be non-patent GMOs out there soon. Plant patents are good for 20 years in the US.

1 Like

For sure there’s a lot of study to be done on landraces. Its not hard to imagine, that many seperate strains in central America as its more gifted than the upper contiguous climate wise.
Kudos on maintaining those lines as it is a service to both nature and humanity!
I do have to address the hermie genes comment. In my experience you can only get a Tendency to herm but the genetics are in every strain you find.
I can likely force any cannabis plant to become hermaphroditic merely with environmental stim.
I believe its a stress reaction mostly and some have a genetic tendency to be more easily stressed.
I believe the diesel chem side of the family was abused with some reckless line breeding causing those issues in particular with sour diesel. A lot was sacrificed to get that terpene profile the way it is.
In fact I think the only thing saving it was the outcross to northern lights and skunk.
I love em anyway lol

1 Like

As for herms, the older modern cuts of stains that I have grown like White Widow have never herned on me, even when stressed to the max. I never get herms from my landraces either, only from my heirlooms. Clarke states in his books that the herm tendency has become far more prevalent in modern crossed strains than they were in the wild, as have the ‘fem’ genes. The practice of feminizing seeds and growing sinsemilia has become so prevalent that the female sex pheno in standard seeds is now over 60%, shifted by modern human breeding practices. Yes, you can force any Cannabis plant to flip sex pheno chemically, but not always by stress. Not in my experience anyway.

4 Likes

:point_up:t2:This is spot on :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Colombian green could be what we called “Mangobiche” (unripe mango, grown near the Pacific and north coasts). The black I know was never really popular (for that we had Punto Rojo -Red Dot-, Gold -known as Santa Marta- and Mangobiche), and it comes from lowlands and the plains between Colombia and Venezuela.

2 Likes

A no ser, @TropicalBiophile , que le digan Colombian Black a la Negra de Manzaneda (de la que ya hablamos tu y yo en otra parte) o incluso a la Corinto PĂșrpura

Ya le dije yo que ninguna paisana de allá era nombrada como “La Verde de Colombia” en nuestro idioma

Ya sabes que los estadounidenses rebautizan las paisanas a su antojo
 Como con la Cabeza de Negro brasileña que ellos llaman Bahia Black

True. But the color here does to a point indicate origin, or used to become all “good” bud became whitish
 the coastal ones (Mangobiche/Gold) used to be greener and yellower, Cauca brownish and then Red Dot (Punto Rojo). So maybe our gringo friends were not off the mark when calling them by color.

Spanish: Cierto. Pero el color sĂ­ da una buena idea de dĂłnde vienen, al menos hasta que toda la hierba “buena” tendiera a volverse como blanca
 los de la costa solĂ­an ser mĂĄs verdes y monos (amarillos), el Cauca mĂĄs cafĂ©, y la Punto Rojo. Entonces quizĂĄ nuestros amigos gringos no estuvieran tan perdidos al clasificarlas por color :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve only gotton one other person to agree with me on that statement. Starts huge arguments on other forums. I’ve gotton mutations in the 91 types but uniform in general.

I wonder if patenting and/or trademarking using dna genome sequencing is gonna make this clearer going forward??? Time will tell I suppose.

2 Likes

Could someone patent say Grandaddy Purps before Ken Estes made it to the patent office, and sue him out of his own name and product??? Alexander Graham Bell did it, and I believe Edison did too. I suppose intellectual property-type protection doesn’t apply to actual Plants or products??? Interesting, to say the least!

3 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: America taking over the world

A post was merged into an existing topic: America taking over the world

Technically, it may be possible, however, as your note corroborates, Ken Estes is the man responsible for its existence. Go Ken! :runner:

2 Likes

Most patent laws are international, and while we are a capitalist society, we have not cornered the market on greed, not even close!

https://www.google.com/patents/US6630507

99%

I agree he is the guy behind the name and breed. I just figure big ag is going to sequence its genome (its just a plant) under another name and go after him to cease and desist. " Y’know thats our patented genome and he is selling it under another name calling it his." Just like a shit ton of seed companies already get accused of by their peers in the industry. Gonna be a shitshow especially in light of Canadian quazi-legalization. Canadian patents are essentially useless except for domestic protection (sales in Canada), so I figure the big legal med producers are prepared for this, and US companies will Trademark products legally produced in Canada, which I believe the U.S. patent office can issue to Canadian co’s while still considered a schedule 1 drug in the U.S. If I was Monsanto (which I am NOT) I’d have been all over this for decades, just waiting to pounce with gov’t approval nonetheless.

I think the big disappointment for the cannabis community will be that there isn’t enough genetic variation between say, grand daddy purps, and white widow.
You’ll notice no patent on mortgage lifter branded tomatoes or yellow pattypan squash.
You can patent Monsanto corn because its been chemically engineered with spliced in DNA from who knows what (aliens, Doberman, etc) lol
But the natural genetic variation between two cannabis strains is minuscule.

4 Likes

That would be nice about cannabis strains not patentable lol. Internet ‘facts’ tell us the U.S. Gov’t owns the patent for CBD. What gives there?? Fake news? No idea.

2 Likes

imo, the pharmaceutical field is a whole different animal, and patents are needed even with the smallest change at the molecular level.

I’ve heard from numerous sources the gov’t and pharma companies in general are waiting until there is enough genetic variety and potential medical product out there to justify the cost of extracting potential api’s from our mj cultivars and begin the pharmaceutical process of developing a drug, and this could potentially be from each stable strain that “we have” developed, not them!

e.g. in the future, if “we” cultivate strains encompassed within a legal structure (dispensary, seed company etc) there is a potential for your strains to be highly sought after, not just by enthusiasts, but by pharma companies.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

This whole topic is a sensitive one.
As many pointed, the underground nature of cannabis growing and breeding fostered a more or less accepted open source approach, with all the drama it involves sometimes.

If you consider patenting your seeds being the most protective way, let’s say now that it’s not doable for most growers. It’s a big business game. You will end up doing paperwork for people to absorb you by force. You’ll never be able to fight the legal fight in case of breach of your patent.

On the opposite side, you can go Open Source, and be represented by legitimate and resourceful growers alliances or associations to defend the open source license rights. We have been sending the draft of “our” Open Cannabis License to most growers alliances and associations. We can only encourage people to solicit them and ask for this license to be issued.

In the middle, there may be some licensing models that protect breeders’ interests while not being predatory on growers. The potential issue is you may have to get legal consult prior to acquiring seeds if you’d like to do more than growing the plant once
 But who reads license agreements when downloading an app, after all

We cover this entire topic across several articles on our blog if you’d like to read more and keep the conversation going :wink:

5 Likes