The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

@Upstate Just curious if you’ve tried Todd McCormick’s Durban? I bought a pack of those last year but haven’t tried them yet.

3 Likes

Back a few years ago when I first started growing I tried some Nirvana CBD Durban and I got that licorice pheno. It smelled so strongly of anise, both during the grow and carried over to the cure. It was just a wonderful aroma. I tried growing two more plants from that pack and couldn’t find it again. Later I tried the CBG Durban and got a nice plant, but no licorice. Luckily I still have a couple of packs of the CBG stuff so maybe I will try again at some point.

I’m with you Upstate, same goals and basically the same list. I have satisfied a few of those desires, and have now managed to build a great seed collection between what I have bought and the kindness of friends. Looking forward to going through my Hawaiian seeds, many Mexicans and the Indian Landrace stuff. And now Maha Kala has me intrigued with his haze creations. This is truly the Golden Age of Weed. :smiley:

10 Likes

Ye sure would like to grow the comets tip.if anyone comes up with beans

Thanks

I might just start a few of the Acapulco gold I got in Sebrings fall box…though I don’t know much about them…need to do a wee bit of research this sunny Sunday morning.

Regards

P J

5 Likes

The AG how long do you figure she would take to finish 18/20 weeks ?

4 Likes

@lambchopped is the one to ask. 16-18?20?

Im growing this season a Durban and it has that exact smell that you describe, I also got some 80’s Durban from Khalifa genetics in hopes I get something similar, such a strong smell. Also its like a mix between anise and licorice, its a heavenly smell definitely. Since I only got a girl I pollinated it with Double Jam in a try to keep the genetic alive, if you are interested I could send you some beans when done

10 Likes

Haven’t tried it, no. i think i grew real Durban in Washington in 2017 but don’t know whose it was. Came from a local guy around my area. Began flowering rather late. September sometime at 50N.
Snowhigh was interested in it when he thought it could be old sssc stock. I’m thinking that’s what he used. What have you heard of McCormick 's durban?

4 Likes

Shit dude i have pollen
TLT Durban pollen from a 14-16 week male, now dead. I was going to use it elsewhere but if yours will still take pollen…

You mean loveoflandrace i think
Just looked. Yeah it comes from Loveoflandrace…now sold by Khalifa. Sweet. Won’t take 3 months for the mail.

5 Likes

@TexasTea Ahhh sounds really nice, glad to hear. I assume this is the uncobbed version? haha. Bummer that didn’t turn out so well. I’ve also been watching that thread on icmag for a while. I’m going to test it out myself with some Oaxacan since I’m going to have loads of it this season.

Love licorice and anise, this would be a keeper for me for sure!

I only see the feminized version on their site, did he ever release regs?

Agree with you and District_Flora. I’m not a breeder but I know my focus is all over the place right now simply because I want to try everything. And everything that I want to try is not available at dispensaries. I am now aware that with this lack of focus I’m liable to miss out on something really special because I only grow in small numbers and am bouncing around different strains. Guess I’m really hoping to just get lucky here and there.

8 Likes

It is focused energy if you are exploring new things for a larger purpose. You can’t be a great chef without understanding the ingredients imo. It’s good to know what you are working with. How could you know, for instance, that peanut butter and chocolate go well together if you have not tried either of them to begin with?( yes you can buy a reeses, lol) For me, I’m on a mission of discovery to learn what i want to focus on in the future. What ingredients I enjoy. I know the flavor profiles I love but not which base strains produce them in the greatest numbers. When i find something i work with it but continue exploring. Going forward in steps. Today too many people are just mashing things together as @lefthandseeds ( good to see you) says, hoping for some majic. Sometimes people hit the jackpot for sure, but breeding can be much more calculated than that.

10 Likes

Good point and well put! I’m definitely at that stage of wanting to lick the spoon of each ingredient haha.

3 Likes

Well, if you wanted for sure! Will it stand the travel??
This how the durban is currently:

If you think it can be pollinated taking into account all the time involved in shipping, im on it for sure! If not I guess it will be present in the progeny.

What do you think of the loveoflandrace Durban? The story sounds good tbh.

@deeez99 while focusing on one thing is great, also exploring is too, a good balance between both its good, cant search for something if you dont know what to search for!

10 Likes

Very nice! Beautiful narrow leaf…really looks like my CBG plant too.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree with all you wrote. I have been trying many things over the past five years in order to get the lay of the land, so to speak. Now I’m narrowing my focus in certain places, and Mexico seems to be the epicenter. :slight_smile:

I have several different Oaxacans and that purple heirloom Michaocan to explore. My Red Snake is an absolutely superb plant and mixing with these other Mexicans including some of the Green Mountain stuff could really come up with some good results I think.

But the willy nilly mixing and polyhybrid indica stuff that totally dominates the commercial scene is a very boring direction in my opinion. Mixing of genetics should have more discerning goals and simple combination of landraces makes much more sense.

10 Likes

There is a thread …on them

Maybe it says there 18-24 weeks.

Below are the ones in the fall box…I’m not sure if there from that repro?

15 Likes

Hey, sign me up man! Especially if dusted with some Durban pollen, hehe. :smiley:

5 Likes

I’ll send you some when done of whatever comes up in the end!!

4 Likes

I grew out Bodhi AG a couple of years ago. Stretchy tiny leaved ladies, very elegant and slender stems. They got very tall but that may be because I didn’t know to restrict roots early on. But they flowered forever and made enormous flowers that looked like old time puffy microphones. Airy loose buds, not much trichomes. Taste was terrible and not much high.

3 Likes

Oh man, timing would be perfect right now. My Red Snake is at just the right stage to dust a few lower branches. :wink:

1 Like

Oh that doesn’t sound so good….did you grow a few and were they all like that.?

Regards

P J

1 Like