The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

attached in english

fichas-oaxaca_compressed.es.en.pdf (416.0 KB) 8_Mexico_compressed.es.en.pdf (503.4 KB)

10 Likes

Thanks @royal ! I ran the mexico one through google and itā€™s helarious but readable. I look forward to yours :smiley:

4 Likes

Oaxaca Oaxaca Oaxaca :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:. CBG has used it extensively in their crosses. They have good taste! I was under the mistaken impression that Oaxaca 79 was a cutting only and thatā€™s why only fem seed were ever available. Is there a seed form in circulation?

7 Likes

Interesting they mention mottled seeds show possible contamination. Old seeds didnā€™t have mottling. Iā€™ve been thinking the same thing.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve seen some of their linesavailable in some online stores, but I donā€™t know from when the stock is, is if it is updated.

1 Like

I donā€™t know, whenever I vacationed near Seattle sativaā€™s were just as big as any other kind. The shops in Oregon were very similar. Not so much in Colorado though, plus the highest THC percentages were lower than Washington or Oregon.

1 Like

I didnā€™t know that those features in the seed can also indicate smt about their heritage and indicate probably contamination of other varieties, good to know.

I do think thereā€™s a difference between Sativa and dispensary sativa. In five years working in the industry I never saw a true, long flowering sativa on the racks. Just short flowering sativa dom hybrids

6 Likes

May have been me, actually forgot that I have those in my collection so Iā€™ll have to go dig them out.

I have been trying to dig some info up on AlterEgo for awhile now. I grew out the Mexican Red Hair I copped through SoCal seed vault on Strainly (from AlterEgoā€™s stock) and it looked/grew like a hybrid. Some of the plants autoā€™d on me so maybe it was red hair crossed with an auto variety. Made a cross with one of the phenos that had the longest flower time but havenā€™t touched it since.

4 Likes

I havenā€™t grown any from them, but what I 've seen in their reports and what was shared in their forum, for shure they have good taste.
I just hope their lines have been saved.

They also have a line from Guatemala ā€œquetzalitaā€ , in the report it seems to be a unique one too

4 Likes

Yeah to be clear, this was dispensary weed, and correct, there were no long flowering types at all. I was just saying sativaā€™s were just as popular and sold just as well.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not always true. South East Asian cannabis has stripes many times. Afghani/ pakistani can have stripes but pure highland hindu kush does not ā€¦at least not what i have seen. Likely others have stripes But more common for pure varieties would be speckles/ camo. Itā€™s just a tidbit to be aware of. Do the old seeds from the same region have stripes?
I broke out 20 varieties that I was sure of purity with and there were only stripes a couple times. Lots of speckles or short lines.

5 Likes

Fauxtivas lol

10 Likes

Lol I have to say, Washington and Oregon had way better dispensary weed than Colorado. I canā€™t remember what kind I got, but it was definitely sativa and strong. I had been in a fairly recent car accident and it damaged my spleen and pancreas and because of it I got horrible panic attacks I wasnā€™t expecting.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think most people ā€œwantā€ polyhybrids as much as thatā€™s all theyā€™ve been exposed to. Commercial growers are not gonna fuck with a 20+ week Sativa. They just arenā€™t. When your whole business model is predicated on pumping out as much weed as you can as quickly as possible, why would you fuck with something that takes almost half a year to finish?

Iā€™m not saying Iā€™m cool with that haha. Itā€™s why I grow my own. But yeah, most people havenā€™t even ever smoked a good, pure Sativa. They donā€™t know what theyā€™re missing out on.

16 Likes

I am sure Oaxaca was around the states before 78. By 79 it had been hybridized in Mexico. Cheech and chong talked about it in up in smoke i think it was. BOEL was in Oaxaca by 75( earlier)ā€¦ the cryptic labs oaxaca is early seventies or 1970
I was reading that Oaxacaspice account. For sure thats a new link. I never saw it. Very interesting read. I Wish I knew him back then.

11 Likes

Vancouver area too. Sativaā€™s like that wet Pacific Northwest. Makes sense that because they perform better in wet areas Sattie dominant strains were selected more than A drier region where Kush type strains predominate.

3 Likes

Weā€™ll have to see if I get my permit. They wonā€™t. I willšŸ˜

12 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. Unrelated, but I was curious at why i could buy 27% or over THC buds in WA, but I only found up to 22% in CO. State regulations maybe.

2 Likes

Neither of those states regulate THC content in cannabis flower. (Edited for factual update, see below for my original mistaken comment)
This is kind of the same school of thought where people think ā€œmedical marijuanaā€ is somehow different than other cannabis, just a misunderstanding of how the industry works :bear::+1:

4 Likes