The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

I didn’t know that. Thank you. The Andes would be an excellent place to grow, when you think about it. There is a dry season and a monsoon season and it never freezes anywhere under 10,000 feet in altitude. In fact, one of my in-laws said there are places there where it grows like a weed (he said ‘mala hierba’, which translates literally to “bad herb”, a weed), so I’m sure there are landraces, whether or not they’ve been documented and named is another matter. I used to find plants growing all over Lima, where people dropped them. Practically nobody knew what they were. I only ever paid for cannabis once in the time that I lived there.
It was seedy, and I wish I would have saved them. I found one plant that was about 10 feet tall and in pre-flower. I checked on it periodically and harvested a few grams. It was not completely ripe, but it was quite potent. 'Heads there sometimes called it “Eskan”, since they couldn’t pronounce “Skunk.”

4 Likes

Biodynamic gardens ( not exact, but close) on IG lives in Peru. Anything I know about Peruvian pot comes from him.
Yes, parts of the Andes would be an incredible place to grow. Like a tropical Afghanistan in some places where its very dry and sunny but with an equatorial sun and higher elevation too. I can only dream.

Yes, I don’t know of any domesticated landraces away from the border with Colombia. All feral. Sounds like its everywhere.

1 Like

Up near a town called Aguas Calientes, where Macchu Picchu is located would be perfect. It’s jungle, but has a very mild climate and a predictable monsoon season. I have a photo somewhere of a fern as long as I was tall and my wife (at the time) found an avocado orchard with a lemon tree in the middle of it. If those are any indication, cannabis would grow really well there. Lima also has a good climate for it. It stays between 50 and 90 degrees all year, but it practically never rains there, so natural water sources are very rare.

6 Likes

Now we’re talking. Just a few seeds and I’m happy for them.

Looking mighty sexy

I may up the tall one to 3 gal soon, looks like it might put out well

The upright one on the left with the Oaxacan looking leaves is also flowering much more slowly.

I’m really hoping all three cross the finish line. They’re so different it should be informative…and goooood.

18 Likes

Vicks vapor rub is the smell I am getting off my last remaining OST

10 Likes

When you said plastic toy earlier it brought to mind that rubber ball smell. Mine are still peppery but I haven’t rubbed anything yet.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a matter of honor now. :joy:

Yes the nanners are all empty that I’ve seen and I’m gonna smoke this one way or another.

3 Likes

Yes it is. Sorry I missed that question.

And as long as we’re discussing tenuous sexuality…

Freaking unbelievable. :joy:

11 Likes

Bummer. Really a bummer. That’s a really pretty plant. 11 finger leaves. Is that a male turned female or vise versa?

3 Likes

Male turned female. :joy:

1 Like

Seen that only with A South Indian before now. Full male turned full female. I’m growing a selfed seed from it now. It should be a carbon copy of dadmom in theory. Just want to see. It just sexed as a male today. I want to see if it switches again this time. Some strange genetics from the tropics, thats for sure. Let’s hope the rest remain stable. I can’t imagine they’d be less stable than the parents.

8 Likes

I’m not sure it was a full male. It has male organs on it but it isn’t forming a head like I would expect. It’s very slow growing. Perhaps starting at 12/12 gave it fits. I’m not concerned, will try to keep it alive til spring and get it outside. To be honest I’m having a lot of fun whatever happens.

It’s so handsome I’ll keep it around as decoration if nothing else. :laughing:

I think it’s important to keep this wild n crazy stuff in the mix for no other reason than original genetic diversity as far as perpetuating the line. In my basement this plant reacted the way it has for whatever reason, in an appropriate natural situation it might express differently.

Btw note the similarities between it, a Oaxacan, and this T/O. ALSO a herm that expressed as male first.

4 Likes

I heard someone mention during a discussion about breeding that you should let the male go for quite a while if you can. Not just to collect the first couple of sacs and kill it, but to let it go and check for intersex traits. Foolishly enough it never really occurred to me to think of intersex males. Not just hermaphroditism from the switch to flower, but the same way female plants let a few bananas out in the last few weeks of flower, male plants can do the same as well. As growers we rarely keep males around that long, but it is something to think about.

2 Likes

I have read that too. Correct me if I’m wrong but to my mind this highly variable sexual expression along with so many “phenos” is an indication of a closer to a “wild” profile, what an open cultivated landrace population produces especially in an equatorial area. Granted this is a worked cross of Oaxacans but as far as I know it’s just that, nothing other involved.

The T/O male was gorgeous and I did get some pollen from him before he had to go.

I have also heard “males” that produce female flowers are actually female and true males are incapable of doing so. Don’t know the truth of that.

2 Likes

The oaxaca males flowered until dead and crispy. Moved from under an hps and placed in a NY window with a january sun and still remained stable. The lighting changed, the temperature changed, the amount of daylight hours received each day depended on when the lights in the house were turned off, and in the middle of the night they were exposed to lights turned on for bathroom trips. The females, however, were susceptible if stressed.
The Thai males are unknown for now. I haven’t found one yet. 75% of the females were stable.
Going to have to work out the kinks with this hybrid for sure, but I do believe the results will be worth it In the end. Both landraces are very special.
I think the hardest part for me is watching others, instead of me, get the hermies.

This Oaxaca is definately the least domesticated Oaxaca out there right now. There are wild plants to be found in this line yet imo. I’d say 50/50 wild/ domesticated. Hopefully a bunch of people that got seeds will begin finding many stable plants to work with in the future. They’re in there, and when you find them you’ll have a diamond in your hands😁

5 Likes

Yes, it’s strange how it all works. Why isn’t a female with male flowers a male if the opposite is true? Never figured that one out.

2 Likes

Don’t suffer for my sake, this is the ride I signed up for! :laughing: Besides, people that think they want to grow these ought to be aware of the possibilities and requirements. And opportunities…

I’ve learned a great deal in the last several months though it’s just a start but one important thing is drop them all at once. I tried to imagine the time and opportunity lost by dropping just half and I found a new grey hair. :joy:

8 Likes

One thing I’m going to do is try to start something new every 2 months to have something constantly going in and coming out. If I end up with too many plants at any point I will just clone them and flower them later on.

10 Likes

Double Panama red…grow 2

6 weeks and transplanted into new forever pots…will flip in a couple of weeks.

14 Likes

Columbian Gold. She was topped about 2 months ago.

Currently 40 days in flower

23 Likes