The Central American landrace and heirloom thread

Bronze leaves are caused by deficiency or frying of the roots.
I will say roots frying if the sun is direct on the plastic container.

3 Likes

It is a simple fix, and people tend to shit on the idea, but simply putting them inside a cardboard box works wonders. Just an insulating buffer that provides shade to stop the sun hitting your roots. A couple inches of airspace and shade lowers root temps down by a tremendous amount. Got a few plants you stick outside sometimes? Keep a few cardboard boxes around. Itā€™s not a large scale solution, but most of us arenā€™t large scale growers. Works great for a handful of plants.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s brilliant actually. I would like to bury half a pot in ground but my plants have to get moved out of sun occasionally.

Already had 2 wks of 11.5/12.5 without showing and plant is over 8 wks old.

5 Likes

You wonā€™t know if you can keep that Nanaan or not without waiting a bit longer. Sometimes they express those traits just for a short time only on the main stem and then it disappears permanently. Hermies are just something that sometimes pop out of tropical hybrids when they are introduced to a new climate, or when a recessive trait pops up, even if worked a bit earlier. You still might be able to finish it.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s likely sunburn. ( could be k deficiency. Seem to remember that plants use a lot more potassium in the heat )Usually the first leaves born inside fry when they see the sun. As long as the upper leaves are okay donā€™t worry about it. Definitely get those pots covered with some fabricā€¦or a boxā€¦anything to block the sun from hitting the pot. If you have a plant thatā€™s been in a pot outdoors awhile sometime, and you are sure the root ball isnā€™t going to fall apart on youā€¦dump it out and look at the root ball and check out the side that faces the Sun. The Roots will all be Brown. I have to say Iā€™ve never seen so much Leaf burn in my life. Typically I only had any leaf burning if I went from weak 40 watt fluorescent lights directly into full Sun, but this year I had 2,000 watts of high pressure light on seedlings and they still got burned with only morning sun. Thinning ozone to blame here.
Thereā€™s a clay powder available for about 80 bucks for a 25 lb bag and people with brutal Sunshine sometimes coat their leaves with it to protect them. Apparently it also keeps 90% of the pests at bay. https://youtu.be/ZfmAm74Of6o?si=DbutFElFs7tVRn7L

Well that description doesnā€™t sound good. Looked like just a couple in the pictureā€¦ how many are we talking about?

3 Likes

@Elchischas showed a recent picture so he must know somebody

3 Likes

ā€œAlready had 2 wks of 11.5/12.5 without showing and plant is over 8 wks old.ā€

Try giving it a breather for a week or so then thy again. It recently worked for me with some plants that were being shy.

1 Like

@GREANDAL

Corinto.

6 weeks today.

Rocking on they areā€¦be getting re-potted soon.

Going great.

20 Likes

Those are really pretty plants @Panamajock ! Any sign of sex yet? Maybe another two weeks?

3 Likes

Ye there are some signs of pre flowerā€¦but as these are long vegging I be keeping them on 16/8 in veg for a few more weeks.

Ye lovely healthy plantsā€¦

P J

4 Likes

This is going to be some show between you and the other guys that have plants in big containers.
Iā€™m going to have some serious plant envy this season!

7 Likes

Lol

Iā€™m sure you be running along side usā€¦im enthralled by this Corintoā€¦im so glad we got it ā€¦and some great work by @GREANDAL ,made me happy. Ye look forward to more grows.

P J

3 Likes

Are you proposing to go back to veg light cycle hours for a week and then revert back to 11.5/12.5?

1 Like

I pulled what I could find it was like 5 spots hopefully thatā€™s all. They werenā€™t even pollen sacs looked like a calyx that opened to pollen filled stamen more like a banner than a pollen sac. :crossed_fingers: It doesnā€™t throw anymore. As far as covering pot would white paint work or would it be better to have an actual barrier so sun blasts box or bigger pot and just residue heat hits pot with the roots. Someone mentioned soil covers for potted plants in this sun maybe it was @upstate lol. Would those be advisable to keep top soil cooler? Nothing reflective like foil but maybe some layers of cheese cloth or something like that? Thanks

The big sur holy weed had itā€™s chance so itā€™s just getting uppotted and thrown outside to see what happens. Iā€™m at 36 latitude when does flowering usually start approximately? Beginning of August or so?

Would wrapping a nursery pot with with thick card board work, or is in the box better? Reason I ask is more surface area for coverage.

1 Like

They look beautiful! Happy plants šŸŖ“ @Panamajock

2 Likes

I would go with a barrier. The nice thing about using an old t-shirt or a cloth of some sort is that not only does it protect the sides of the pot but it acts as a mulch, too. For even better protection use a cloth and a boxā€¦ or the pot the plant is in, inside a bigger pot. When I grew out in Washington State, during a good stretch of the summer the days near about 100Ā°. None of the Growers out there that I heard about used any mulch. My cousin was so skeptical of the value of mulching, he refused to get me anyā€¦so I spent two weeks raking the dead grass of about 3 acres and slowly spread this around my beds. When I removed the mulch, scratched the soil, and my cousin and i saw what looked like mushrooms living in the soil( mykosā€¦ it literally looked like popcorn just under the surface) he became a believer. My plants used 10% of the water he was using and I grew 400 of them with just a couple $100 in fertilizerā€¦ The following year he grew those 20 to 30 lb yielding plants with just three shovelfuls of fertilizer each, fully showing the potential of just a couple tweaks
Mulch and Mykos= success
@420noob early August for your latitude sounds about right

8 Likes

Do you have any going this summer?

3 Likes

If I have something square or rectangular I cut a slit in it about a foot deep so the fabric can go around the stem of the plant, protecting the top of your soil from drying out too fast. The fabric hanging over the edges of the pot keeps the pot cool. I like light colored Fabrics best. You can probably even use wet down newspaper.

3 Likes

The other great thing about mulch is it prevents soil from being splashed back onto the plant when it rains hard. I use it for everything these days.

I had some straw that I was using this year and it was working great but then began sprouting grass because it hadnā€™t been heat treated to kill the seeds. Why they would sell straw mulch that was full of seeds is a mystery to me, pisses me off. However, I read about a cool solution that I will try, and that is to leave the bale in a black plastic bag in the sun for a day or two and it will supposedly heat up enough to kill the seeds. Unfortunately I am already done mulching for the most part, but the remainder will go out on the driveway later this week as we are supposed to get to 100f in the northeast.

5 Likes

My wife and I used ā€œheadlessā€ straw to mulch the garlic and after covid started, the headless straw began having heads and we ended up having a Bed full of grass to deal with after we harvested the garlic. Pisses me off too. :triumph:
That same black plastic bag trick can be used on soil to kill any bug and weed eggs/ seeds. Unfortunately the microlife will take a hit too. Seal up the black bag containing straw or soil and put it in the sun in your sunniest location. Good idea about that straw. I hadnā€™t considered using black plastic to kill those seeds

They are calling for 90Ā° where I live 2 days in a row. Weā€™ve only breached 90 degrees Half a dozen times in a dozen years. Going to be a hot couple days. Anyone else notice that a ā€œheat waveā€ is now two days in a row above 90 instead of the former three? Iā€™m going to go out on a limb and say we will have more heat waves this summer than ever before.

6 Likes