The Legal Industry

Yeah, that’s an image for sure!

99%

As legalization happens, cannabis will begin to be treated like a real agriculture crop. Seriously, nobody is paying these prices for tomatoes. Most people don’t grow vegetables in their back yard because it’s profitable, usually it’s a hobby or health issue.

6 Likes

Vertical integration allows for the producer to also own a retail store. So you are essentially selling to yourself at whatever price the market dictates. In Washington that is illegal. Here the retail stores have way more control than they should on prices. We went from selling our flower at $3.25 per gram the first year to my last offer of .35 per gram this year. That’s only a span of 3 years and the prices have fallen that far. I feel for the warehouses grows rocking 500 Govitas, and a.c. units, and dehu’s. That’s why 75% of the producer licenses issued in Washington have failed. Forced to sell the license or relinquish it back to the state.

1 Like

So far the Feds are allowing home personal growing for homeowners at 4 plants per household. They removed the original proposal, limiting plant height to 100cm (3 feet). Now whether provinces have the jurisdiction to prohibit personal cultivation or not, is just another way for ill-prepared provinces and municipalities to drag their heels and appease the ruling prohibitionist hypocrites. All of this will quickly become clear before July1 2018. That is when the feds will pass their legislation. IMO the provinces who prohibit home growing will increase the black market substantially, and the charter of rights may cause them a problem. That sets up a profitability thru prohibition system for the provinces which replaces the existing “bust’em and keep lawyers and cops working” with sue the feds with the taxpayers money instead. Wonderful, can’t wait for BC’s plans, hope they open it up and OVERGROW canadian politicians with a cohesive organized citizen benifitting open market. Here’s to freeing the weed! Cheers!

2 Likes

that’s terrible, but wouldn’t the large companies with the big warehouses be the ones most likely to succeed w/ investor funding or backing by huge mega corporations. 0.35 a gram is $350 a kilo or under $160 a pound that is so fucking disgusting and insulting, because they’ll turn around and sell it for $10+ a gram before tax probably

1 Like

150 a pound is surely losing money right?

cronos in canada partnered with an israeli company to produce medical marijuana because they can get production costs down to 0.40-0.50 a gram compared to 1.50-3.00 in canada - so they are admitting they can produce it for as little as 1.50 a gram in canada yet still trying to charge up to $20 a gram at some LPs and that’s direct from the producer!! fucking swindlers

i think ‘vertical integration’ is the only logical system because what’s the point of selling it to a government purchaser who will sell it to a distributor who will sell it to the customer when you can just buy it from the producer and cut out 2 middle men

1 Like

5 years ago, you could make that playing video games and growing in a basement.
Till the “legal” growers flooded the market with all the $0.35/g bud they grew without having buyers for.

Big tobacco and Monsanto as well as many others are already involved. Monsanto already owns Botanicare, General Hydro, Gavita, and a few others. Phillip Morris has HUGE Warehouse grows up and running in Colorado. The company that did all the consulting for them spoke about it. However no one should want this, I threw away products I owned from the companies acquired by Monsanto. The brave men and women that have been risking thier ass for the last 30 or 40 years to grow this plant deserve to run our industry. We are the people who should profit from this after studying, spending countless hours in our grow rooms, doing breeding projects that have raised the thc levels from the shwag 6% Mexican brick weed we used to smoke. Big tobacco, or big pharma, or Monsanto did none of this! We did! :v:

1 Like

Costs me around .20 a gram to grow.

1 Like

There’s a thread on this Monsanto did not but those companies. A subsidiary of Scott’s Miracle Grow did. Scott’s pays for the rights to use Monsanto round up, but Monsanto didn’t buy those companies.

1 Like

Yeah good luck with that!

I pay my trimmers more than that.

I can’t see .20 a gram with power, water, man hours etc. I just don’t see it.

We are outdoor sun grown.

Even outdoor, the soil, water, man power. I believe you, but the numbers don’t add up in my head.

Yes Hawthorne corporation who is partners with Monsanto. Ther is an interview with the company on the adam dunn show.

theres a big discussion here in the shark tank for that one

does it seem like washington will be changing anything? is there any type of lobbying going on on behalf of growers? like a growers association?

i am pretty sure medicropper moved to oregon or at least is investing in a commercial facility there with sly8585 i wonder if he sensed this coming

I would have to agree with a desire to have an open market with room for ‘Mom and Pop’ operations. The ‘brave Men and Women growers’, you refer to are, in reality, the ones who rarely ever ‘RUN’ a market or industry, they all just play a part, just like any farmer, and should/will be able to continue to do so. On the other hand the ‘growers’ who have run the industry for the past 30 or 40 years are biker and narco gangs who most definitely victimize and control “growers”. The picture of conciencious, evironmentally sensitive growers who collectivise in order to keep big money out of a new legal marketplace is idealistic thinking born of the late hippy norcal bubble. That bubble has just burst there, unfortunately. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see a “tomatoe style” marketplace for cannabis, but that will take many years and 30 or 40 more years of good people putting their lives and families on the line for the love of weed, and not for the love of money a bumper crop can get you.

1 Like

that is more than double my costs so yea he is doing pretty dam good for the u.s