The Mexican Landrace Thread

It does look very much like what I remember when buying Oaxacan in the mid 70’s.

2 Likes

It definitely has the look, I agree @Raratt

2 Likes

If it’s too expensive to treat them seperately, making one ultra plant with the genetics of all of them would be fun. Sorry don’t listen to me, I had very little sleep. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Maybe it has been worked season after season since 60s/70s to reduce time instead of just using indica cheat code. It isn’t always the same answer. A lot of speculation here.

3 Likes

You rolls your dice…

1 Like

10 week finish? Ahem, is that indica I smell?

2 Likes

I wish - was planning to grab some from colorado sativas but he sold out super quickly

Did not grow this cross, was able to try some from a local grower - had a pine sol scent to it, calyx clusters w/ a strong, yet mellow heady effect - likely the Oaxacan side did bulk this one up @ClassicGenetix but i have a feeling that the Viet black on its own may carry a more potent energy/lysergic/cathartic effect. IME Mexican lines often carry a more mellow experience, but i’ve only scratched the surface and suspect that those high altitude lines like the HOG may be more versatile.

5 Likes

Very cool and that’s been my experience too. Oaxacans can vary but VB always brings that more “affecting” loopy high that’s more intoxicating.

7 Likes

Since i felt in love with those Billy Viet pics
I really start to be interested on it

8 Likes

Billy Viet?

10 Likes

Billy Goat Vietnamese strain
Extreme nld strain
I saw some photos on Instagram
But you can see it at Bodhi account

4 Likes

AKseedbrain & Vietnam black at Bodhi account

3 Likes

Down if you still got a spot.

3 Likes

@upstate What is the plan? Are you going to tissue culture them or toss 'em in the worm bin?

Let us know, would you?

2 Likes

I spoke with @SCJedi on Sunday. He’s an awesome dude and prooved he’s OG to the core. I was mistaken about the one cell thing. There needs to be a viable embryo. It’s definitely not a sure thing that anything can be gotten out of these old seeds, but he said he’d give it a try for us. @Elchischas and I talked about it and we are going to try the old Oaxaca seeds first. Believe me when I tell you we wouldn’t have been able to afford this if @SCJedi wasn’t helping us out of the goodness of his heart. This is not cheap technology. I’m going to check some prices of some supplies that he could use…and then report back.

19 Likes

I sure wish I knew if this were possible without adding Indica. One thing I’ve thought about alot…is that every strain whose flowering time can be quickly dropped has suspected or known Indica lineage. Sometimes this Indica isn’t contamination, but is a necessary ingredient for said strain. Panama Red and Durban Poison come to mind. People remember both a hybrid version and a landrace version… But back in the day no one knew there was a difference. We all named weed by the area it came from. If you got weed from Humbolt, you called it Humbolt weed. If you got weed grown in mexico it was mexican. But no one knew if it was or wasn’t. No one asked the question" Is this a land race." Is this local?"There would have been no one to give the answer. By the 70’s both Durban and Panama had been outcrossed for some years. Selecting shorter, faster flowering phenos will bring out the Indica if growing these old hybrids.
My personal experience with my own strains is that flowering time can be changed by nature about one day per year.

14 Likes

I would be in.

2 Likes

If you are going from flowering 10 weeks to twelve then pick up 7 days, so 7 years wow not much progress but fast for nature!

2 Likes

Took me 25 years to change flowering onset one month @Cactus. That’s why i’m so suspicious.
Perhaps if the climates were drastically different from where genes were collected as opposed to where they were grown the speed could or would be increased…but I still think a two week cut in flowering time is only possible with hybrids. I’m not referring to the normal 2 week spread of harvest time within a strain…I mean 2 weeks outside that normal range.
Indica is like a virus to Sativas, lol. It may lie dormant, but given opportunity it will raise its ugly head.

7 Likes