The Mexican Landrace Thread

That’s generous of you. I’ll keep that in mind should it become necessary. For now, we’re good.

2 Likes

has any one grown out the Michoacan, im running one now, has soime purple in ir, and i prob got 5 plus weeks left, but i cant find any info on the strain anywhere, @Upstate do you know much about the strain??

1 Like

@Elchischas or @Elpolloloco could answer better I think… I have some Michoacan on deck myself. Whose do you have going? @blendmedmedman

3 Likes

@blendmedmedman i grew snowhighs Guerrero green x Michoacán (green, purple, brown phenos)

Also did a mini run of the Torreón x Michoacán gpb that I may revisit. Both were long flowering with purple bleeding traits. I posted some pics of the GGx Mich in this thread not too long ago. Here are the descriptions:

TORREON x MICHOACAN GREEN PURPLE BROWN 70’s HEIRLOOM : A Special Purple Bleeding female Central Mexican from Coahuila State, with medium sized colas and a bushy frame. This was pollinated by another purple bleeding line, this time from an heirloom Michoacan 70’s era Mexican with narrow leaves, and a traditional sativa structure. The high is electric, happy and soaring, colorful and time distorting. Recessives will bring out the red, pink, purple and the rare black sap bleeding trait plants from the Michoacan side, but with both sides having been purple sap bleeding. This will be a more common trait of all plants

GUERRERO GREENx MICHOACAN G P B : The Guerrero in this cross is different than the 78 Guerrero x Michoacan AKA: Sierra Madre, this Guerrero also produces medium sized spears and grows to a height of around 5-6 feet outdoors with many budsites. Buds are somewhat piney and funky and have what I call a Mexican black pepper spice aroma and taste. The high is physical yet spacey and euphoric. Colorful and potent with a happy high, good for parties or with close friends. Old time Mexican smoke. The male was a Michoacán heirloom which bleeds purple sap, it is a heirloom variety from the past and produces long colas and can be extremely potent, psychedelic, happy and euphoric.14-16 weeks flowering .

9 Likes

Well the type definitely would be a thing to consider. IBL obviously will be more resistant to change due to the lower recombinant rate. Hybrids yeah they segregate very quickly but then become homozygous thus maybe slowing down the variation. I think when you mentioned 25 yrs to do this I am thinking 24 minutes to equal 21 days of longer flower which seems reasonable. 28 is roughly 30 minutes longer hmm. Good info thanks for that!

I imagine if you could grow a thousand at a time you might have increased variance but heck what am I saying :thinking:?

3 Likes

One day a year with what sample size? @Upstate If you have huge fields every year then it could be easy to find ones that flower faster or are outliers. Even a 1% chance. 1 out of 100.

6 Likes

What’s the source of your Michoacán?
There’s many different Michoacán Strains some from higher and cold areas than others

6 Likes

Thais I find are cold resistant which is surprising as well as mildew resistant. One is interesting and the other makes sense. Light fluffy from Indica var Indica vs Indica var Afghanica. The cold gene seems to be a driver for short flowering due to environmental pressures or resistance to growing in colder but tolerable conditions? The cold snaps in high tropical mountain areas seem to be a driver for shortening the flowering period? The Colombian Mexican types seem smaller more conservative structure than larger Thai counterparts. Maybe Colombian is more of an Indica var Afghan that acclimated to tropical short days while adapting to mountains.

2 Likes

I think when you grow more plants you are just having a higher percentage of finding that seed that came from stray foreign pollen. You are increasing your odds for finding contamination in a way if that makes sense. I have never had an especially or abnormally fast plant pop out of any of the pure longflowering landraces I’ve grown…but if I did, I’d kill it. It doesn’t belong there.

3 Likes

I grew 700 once with no fast ones popping up. Normally not that many. I might change my mind as I get into further f gens of some of these landraces. If it can happen, it will happen for me and I’ll be happy to say I was mistaken.

2 Likes

thanks @upstate. the seed came from one of the seed boxes like last years or something? thanks @Elchischas the female i have now has the purple trait, shes nice, ill get pictures soon and post, buds looks good, and keep doubling now seems like every 4 or so days, just nice to see. smells like eucalyptus type funk. but in a good way. buds look to be airy type but it doesnt matter

4 Likes

Ooooh. That’s a good one @blendmedmedman @YoBigdaddy ran it for the Freakers last year. I’m pretty sure that’s SnowHigh Michoacan

2 Likes

yes thats where it came from. i couldnt remember which og member grew it. but i have a female purple trait, nig bud that eats itself. it is supposed to smell like lickerish? but maybe in a way. i would say it will be in around 15 weekish

1 Like

Guerrero green x Michoacán f2 really starting to take off now

highland Guerrero f2

16 Likes

this is Michoacan 76, she starts with her shade leaves that get purple then the bud eats itself by just getting bigger and bigger, smell is eucalyptus funk that smells good. the bud seems airy but as more weeks pass it may seem to dense up some,
i grew indoors under leds, and in hydro, flower time is set for 11 hrs and 20 mins, seems to work good for me as i run both indica and sativa
i do not know why more people on here have not grown this strain out, it is wonderful to see
last picture is thai mango

26 Likes

I like it! Send me some seeds and I will grow it. :joy::rofl:

12 Likes

News! @upstate and @elchischas-

9 Likes

18 Likes

Definitely adding it to my ‘must-grow’ list!

1 Like

In the article below - one of the towns given a permit is : San Pablo Huixtepec

thanks to @Elchischas a Huixtepec landrace is already floating around here on OG !!!

14 Likes