The Mexican Landrace Thread

A few days ago more seeds from Oaxaca arrived, as soon as it stops raining (non-stop for days) I will pop some seeds to better know what I have.

24 Likes

The pattern/drawing of some Oaxacas seems very similar to some of these Chihuahua Copper Canyon 1990/ Chihuahua Barranca del Cobre 1990.

27 Likes

Some big ol’ bags of seeds you got there. Awesome!

5 Likes

Trying the seeds with no stripes separately from the ones with patterns to see if there is a difference or all together?

4 Likes

Not this time, Im popping a sample of 15 seeds chosen at random, to see what I have, (although these seeds come directly from the Oaxacan seed producer, I prefer to take all possible precautions)

5 Likes

Hopefully you can keep us all posted with photos. Good luck! :+1: @gmike. There’s sure to be something special in there.

3 Likes

This post is very special to me

I’m gonna show you all for the very first time
A photo of one of the first mexican Strains that i smoked and Unfortunately isn’t longer available.

More than 20 years ago i sent a bunch of many different pure mexicans to the breeders of Cannabiogen in Spain.
One of that strains was an unique mexican with the biggest size seeds that i never seen again.
The plants used to be really tall with large leaves
A uncommon sativa shape that i’m not can be found nowdays.
This Strain was know as “Bellota de Pirul”
Probably was a mexican Strain that just that only grew in a limited area here in Mexico it is no longer found, during all these years I have never met it again so I’m sure it’s extinct a good friend and great connoisseur of landraces still keeps what are perhaps the last pure seeds of this rare Mexican variety He was very kind to take this photo and send it to me.
For me it is very important to keep a record of everything that used to be in my country before there was massive hybridization.
Maybe this is the only place I post this photo.

I’m really excited because this is something that no one else is able to show.

IMG_20240624_123337

31 Likes

Is there any chance your friend may reproduce Pirul Acorn? That would be a sight to behold.

4 Likes

Show us plants of this, please, more revelant…
Seeds pics are seeds pics… we can’t realize about their size
However, you rocks :+1::pray:

5 Likes

Is it possible to run an open pollination with those seeds? Or you think you would have to return to Mexico for that to happen?

I really appreciate you sharing this!!

3 Likes

Cool story. Hope your buddy does more with em then just take pictures, or it’ll stay extinct :joy:

4 Likes

Thank you very much for posting this. It is obvious that you love this sacred plant. Also, Thank you for preserving all these unique genetics. :rainbow:

3 Likes

Purdy seeds

Would you say the seeds are as big as Hindu Kush seeds or even bigger yet than that? I wonder if it descends from Chinese Broadleaf Hemp? Did you or any of the people you sent it to get to smoke any of it or breed with it? Thanks for sharing !
Michoacan from you.

13 Likes

@Grayeyes well is a little complicated, the seeds are old and not really well stored. To me the only option is get the service of a high technology of the laboratory.
@Aero bro, You know how hard and rare are get this photo? Probably those are the last seeds of this strain on the world! More than 20 years since i grew a plant of this strain.

@LandraceJunkie well i’m sure it need a profesional help to bring back to life this seeds again
The last if it and there’s no chance to loss it
@ChongoBongo not easy since the seeds are really old and bad storage. He tried in the past sproud some without any luck.
@Magu thanks for your words
So much apreciated, i’m trying to do my best with all that i got, i really hope that one day we all can enjoy this rare strain again.

11 Likes

Beautiful Michoacán bro

Well I remember smoked Bellota de Pirul many times
Definately sativa high but the last time i smoked it was more than 20 years so my memory isn’t really good to remember.
The seeds are really big, probably more big than kush seeds, i never seen china broadleaf seeds but maybe got the same size

6 Likes

What a challenge :flushed::grimacing: 20 years !!!

3 Likes

now it’s just a sad story :joy: he should really consider giving those to someone with tissue culture experience, it’s their best hope at this point

5 Likes

Thank you for the explanation @Elchischas . We would never know about this one without your help. Thanks again!

6 Likes

What do you guys make of this? I couldn’t post the link to this specific IG post (from 30.05.2024), probably because his account is private so I choose to screensave instead.

I don’t know the guy yet, but he seems to be popular. I believe he mentioned in one of his comments that unfortunately he doesn’t share the genes (seeds) and rather uses it to make his own crosses. It’s supposed to be a true Michoacán heirloom.

5 Likes