The Mexican Landrace Thread

To be honest I am afraid of instagram/facebook and all that stuff.

2 Likes

Got a great story here. Forgive tablet typos.
We moved to Albuquerque a while back. Met a grower here, one of these people that the plant just grows better with him around. Last name Chavez. Said his family has been growing long as anyone can remember, like many many generations.
Turns out the Spaniard in charge of the original settler missions in the area had a right hand guy, last name Chaves. He was called a “marihuaner”, one who grows weed.
My friend’s family has apparently been growing weed in the South valley area… since Spaniards settled here! I think of this every time I hear that “well I am 3rd generation Humboldt”. This guy’s family stopped counting generations hundreds of years ago.
Here is the kicker for this thread: they have a landrace from high and dry northern Mex, and it has been acclimated to Albuquerque over many years. I smoked some, and it was really good, shockingly frosty too, especially for a strain that still gets run from seed every year. Was gifted a few beans too, but don’t have room for a 12 foot sativa.

15 Likes

Be aware there are others that would be more than willing to make seeds for you. All you have to do is offer.

3 Likes

I heard about that landrace in the northern part of the state and would really like to get some seeds. Plus, I live near Albuquerque so maybe we can do some local trading?

6 Likes

Maybe @upstate can help?

1 Like

He is in to sharing genetics, suspect he would be happy to hook you up. I will reach out to him and shoot you a PM when I hear from him.
I am in RR, we may need to get together for some smoke testing eh? Got tons of solid genetics too.

3 Likes

Haha yeah I’ll have some stuff for you to smoke test in late August too if you want.

2 Likes

Yeah man, count me in!

1 Like

Greetings OGERS , Overgrow the Wkrld with hp ass genes. Thanks youAll for the eye candy.
@Elchischas @Elpolloloco @Upstate reetings OGERS , Overgrow the Wkrld with hp ass genes. Thanks youAll for the eye candy.
@Elchischas @Elpolloloco @Upstate , @Guitarzan @YoBigdaddy , @deeez99 good job fellows , we know Michoacán from the early seventys Alice copper concerts ,wowee good times to share with SEEDSAVERS I salute you all
Thanks , Cal… Sorry we are under the weather moving…one NLT plant outdoors organic…hydro…
Beautiful Michoacán bro…tyvm…

6 Likes

Puebla

19 Likes

Looks like a nice one. Love the narrow leaves. Here’s the El Chiscas Michoacan…this time a lady.

And a topped Guadalajara, both in week 5 of flowering.

Sweet score! If you can get enough beans i’d be happy to trade. That’s getting close to my kind of latitude in Northern New Mexico. Would be a little easier for me to acclimate it to New York than it would other varieties. @rasterman is growing Oaxaca now and it looks great so if you can only get a few beans he’s the man.

18 Likes

looking impressive

3 Likes

Oh Yeah , nice plants very Fine Sir , @Upstate
El Chiscas Michoacan ,now Your Talking hope the Ladies bring You HappyHighs …

OVERGROW. THE WORLD …IFYou Please .
Thanks Youaall OGers , Peace ,Cal…

2 Likes

I only have about a dozen, and they are spoken for by none other than @rasterman. Will check with the keeper of the line and see if he is making more this season. She is acclimated to a 5000’ foot altitude climate and very dry air. We spend most of the summer with humidity in the 30s or lower. She came from Chihuahua Mex.

7 Likes

Thanks, I’d appreciate it. Hopefully they make seed. I love knowing an heirlooms pedigree. Very cool story. @rasterman will surely make seed too😁. I can acclimate anything if i truly want to, but its a long process. For a pure NY acclimated Mexican, I’ll happily put in the work.

7 Likes

I can do a seed run indoors this winter so that anyone who wants some can grow them next summer. I’ve got too much going on to pop them right away. I wish I could. I’ve known about that line for awhile but didn’t know whether it made it off the mountain or not.

8 Likes

Hello, I am from New Mexico, and have been involved in the cannabis scene since the 90s. NM has a long history with weed, with very lax policing of it for generations. Chavez is one of the original family names. All that said, this is likely not what you are being told. First off, much of the weed past 1900 was from Mexican immigrants, not the settlers. People did grow it, and save seeds, but they weren’t anything from the 1600s. By the 1960s, the main growers of the plants were from the hippy communes in Placitas and Taos, Santa Fe to an extent, and most of the people there were white, using who knows what. By the 80s-early 2000s, it was a mixed bag of genetics statewide, ranging from Mexican genetics to dutch store bought stuff. Albuquerque has not been a big growers area until recently. The cops actually did arrest people there until legalization, and almost nobody did indoor grows until very recently. I’d bet whatever you are getting is just modern stuff with a fun story attached. There is a very slim chance the story is true, but I wouldn’t bet on it. If you want, I can interrogate your contact- I’ll be able to tell you if he’s legit or not within 15 minutes.

4 Likes

Interrogate? Interesting choice of words. Thanks but no thanks. FWIW, there is a landrace. I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard the story before. I’ve got no reason to doubt @BigF. This is exciting! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Yeah, interrogate… locals have a sense of humor. Believe what you want. Seems like you are probably not from the area, but sure, you know better.

2 Likes

BTW, I’m just telling you you’re probably being taken for a ride. You don’t have to believe it, but it’s very very unlikely somebody has been growing the same line for hundreds of years without crossing to modern stuff. There’s plenty of old Mexican lines up north, my godparents in their 80s have one. But the idea that some family has kept something from the 1600s is kind of a joke if you know the people around here. I grew up with them, I dated them, I know them. You Mr raster don’t

3 Likes