The Mexican Landrace Thread

Can’t wait to see what they do!

1 Like

Are the Popocatepl Pueblas from kagyu?

1 Like

What are the terps like on these old Mexican strains? Do they just smell like classic weed smell? Or due to the hot climate and terps evaporating quickly is there little smell to them?

2 Likes

Hi LandraceJunkie,
The seeds were collected at the foot of popocatepetl , state of Puebla, Mexico.

6 Likes

They are different and look very legit Mexicans… unlike most stock from Kagyu who claims they’re from 60s but they look hybrid as hell. Same Coastal Burmese, Panama, Big Sur and so on, they are all hybrid looking plants. No way they are legit oldschool genetics IMHO.

9 Likes

Man, they’re coming along great!

popo puebla

21 Likes

Had the same feeling, but I’m newbie, so what do I know…

3 Likes

Running BOEL x Afghan right now.
2 females up, Garlic bud is gonna pollinate it.

Here’s the smaller phenotype.

14 Likes

Nice BOEL cross! Have you grown them before? I just popped some from AKBB crossed with Big Skunk. Mazar x 76 Guerrero and El Primo too. Anyone know anything about the El Primo, I know it’s hybridized but can’t find much out there. Got some nice pics from Doja/mulberry who did the repro from Snowhigh stock, said acrid strawberry and visual distortion.

Alpng with the Michoacan and Old Oaxacan, I’m gonna see if there’s anybody special in these populations for crosses alongside with an upcoming reproduction of the BOEL Oaxacan :green_heart: Micho and OO are the main goals but I came across those beans and seems like a good window for them to ride along

Old Oaxacan

14 Likes

I haven’t run AKBB’s cross to Big Skunk, but his Dwarf Oaxacan x BOEL Oaxacan is one of my favorite smokes and a super plant while growing, so those should be killers.

Doja sent me the El Primo crossed to Mikado but I’ve been looking for it pure since I missed out and went with a bunch of Mich crosses back in the newsletter days. Stoked you’re doing a repro. Gerry from Colorado Sativas was telling me over the weekend the El Primo is one of his favorites so you’re stoked. He sent me some Santa Cruz Highland Oaxaca Gold '86 that he said is one of his favorite Mexicans at the moment (and he’s run more than almost anyone I know, save @Elchischas ). Have you heard of it? I’m only able to find a Phylos submission which has:
" Flavor Profile

Ginger, Spice, Cardamom, Pine, Paint Thinner, Cherry and Fermented Berry aroma. Plants purple outdoors in late October into November. Some plants turn almost black.

Oral History

Imported Mexico Oaxaca line originally cultivated in Santa Cruz Ca. Seeds collected from seeded ounce in 1986 and open pollinated for each generation up to 1996. Gardens were for personal use and males were not culled."

12 Likes

I ran El Primo a few years - was a favorite at the time… 16 weeks iirc

12 Likes

What were the main reasons that made it your favourite?

1 Like

Beautiful stuff! What kind of effects did she bring? With so many great Mexican heirlooms popping up the last decade, it would be great for all of us to work together and compile some kind of reference with our experiences.

5 Likes

Great point, a lot of people that don’t do any research or have a point of reference must be thinking those chunky plants are in fact pure sativa landraces. It reminds me of the “Wild Thailand” I’ve had from retail dispensaries that resembles what I would imagine Thai Skunk x Aghan would yield.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang that Santa Cruz HOG sounds divine

1 Like

Yeah that’s the main problem IMHO, the lack of verified references or a trained eye, so people take everything for granted. If a plant smells, flowers and produces like a hybrid, then it’s probably a hybrid.

Unfortunately due to the Paraquat spraying that the DEA has done all over Mexico in the 70s and also the heavy hybridization and introduction of western hybrids that took place worldwide since decades ago, most of this traditional heirlooms from past deades became very rare or survive only in the form of scarce phenotypes within the genepool. It’s exactly the same that also happened in traditional Cannabis exporting countries like Colombia, Jamaica and nowadays also all over Asia, Africa and so on. I see lots of landraces from all over the world, but a big % of them look heavily hybridized. Can’t stop globalisation. It was hard to find them 15 years ago and now it’s way worse. It’s been there for so long that we barely notice it anymore.

Here’s what an unhybridized Mexican sativa archetype looks like:

Original 12Fingers Oaxacan phenotype, notice very small calyxes, leafy flowers, barely any trichomes unless you use a magnifier and see the micro trichomes covering the calyxes, thin leaves, wispy hairy flowers… not hashplant traits are present like huge trichomes and calyxes, resinous leaves, pop-corn style buds:

Oaxacan 1976, seeds were collected and frozen, true living fossil, notice again it’s mostly white hairs what you see in the buds:

Oaxacan 1986 (Kanga’s), looks a bit hybridized already because of the chunkier buds and flower phyllotaxy but still has the features present:

Mel Frank’s Mexican from 1976, another great example of a thin leaved wispy one:

Best.

32 Likes

Snowhigh described El Primo as being a Mexican heirloom of possibly Oaxacan origin.

When discussing hybridization it is very important to understand the divergent paths which somehow we are presently mashing together. On one hand we had the cartels, with commercial export interests, wanting to maximize their profit by growing faster finishing produce. On the other hand, and operating for far longer than the commercial interests, are the farmers who grew it for themselves.

Perhaps they wanted to combine their homegrown with the neighbors strain, adding something to the mix. This has been going on since cultivation started. It boils down to the argument of commercialization versus “I think I can do better”. The first is motivated by greed, the second motivated by what probably every grower (not seed sprouter) wants by his own scale.

We have all read of Mexican growers whose new neighbors are from “blank” and brought seeds with them. The neighbors talk and exchange produce. They find positives and negatives in each others grow.

In this thinking I am deliberately avoiding the “poly-hybrid” enthusiasts. I have experienced their product and finding it to all taste the same and produced usually for commercial purposes I won’t be a consumer.

Honestly, the old strains we are now finding have complex phenos we don’t understand yet. Why muddle six other strains into it?

3 Likes

Greetings @Elchischas your oax Red Hair looks absolutely amazing…

May I ask How long is the Flowering cycle of this Gem?

2 Likes