The quest for unicorn gold!

I gotta tell you @JoeCrowe I’ve never made hash, but when I see the stuff you make I get that “You gotta fucking try that, HeadyBear!” twitch…
It’s coming. Soon.

6 Likes

Hell, yah! I’d definitely give it the 'ol college try. If you are motivated to, you could become a master hash maker! I’m reaching for the stars here, but anyone who really wants can have prize winning hash grade for your daily dabs. Once you’re ripping kernels of joy magnifique!

5 Likes

Tried out hand mixing today. I’ll admit I like it a lot more at least for fresh frozen. Had a few small bags in the freezer so I lumped them together. Blueberry, chocolatina, and hillbilly skunk. I also went lazy with the bags, only used 220 and 25. Heres the whole spectrum.

20 Likes

No balls :sweat_smile::crazy_face:

2 Likes

Looks pretty good for just grabbing everything bigger than 25! You won’t see the fibers as much after it’s freeze dried.

2 Likes

Ah it seems there IS an old piece of hash bonded to the new hash. Under the microscope, you can see the border line where one changes to the other. The nuggets I staged in the jar are almost yellow, where the old hash is amber. Ignore the blue thread, I was using my t-shirt to clean off the equipment.

10 Likes

Interesting question now I should have to ponder. Is the old hash a good or bad thing? I extracted all the bits of old hash in that last run! Perhaps the judgements should wait a couple more days until I can rip it. OF course there is always the option of just ripping this nugget of hash and it’s pals, to see if there is a difference.

4 Likes

If you take a rip of each one and can’t tell the difference I doubt anyone else will be able to.

Now about that blue thread though…

Lol

2 Likes

lol! The method I use to deal with it is, I always ignore the fibers which are the same color as the material I used to wipe the slide clean. Today, it’s brown cotton! I’ll go and dab that contaminated nug, see what happens. I’ll rip one like it afterwards…uhh, for science.

3 Likes

Putting this batch of Chocolatina live hash in the refrigerator today to try that out. I plucked out that chunk of plant material after I took the photo…must have come off me after trimming into the freezer or something

15 Likes

Looks really good! Plant fibers are at a minimum. A prize winning batch!

5 Likes

I didn’t really notice a difference in the pure hash vs the hash with the old bit in it. Just a tiny speck, but it was a visual nit.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m sure it would be horrifying to view under the scope but it looks damn good to the eye. Squishing a piece between parchment you get such a light almost clear puddle. Extremely melty

3 Likes

I went and got a sample I can view under the microscope! My scrubbing routine for the slurper has reached peak. I rinse it with some alcohol then I boil it in some baking soda water. Use a piece of cotton on the end of the dab tool to scrub away any black cruft.

5 Likes

ahhhh, I see. It’s eradicated the LARGER plant fibers in the hash. That’s interesting!

13 Likes

JOE!
This is a work of art!

Jus Sayin,
-Grouchy
PS, I’m gonna go flash a bowl of my humble, crusty, but tasty bubble hash in your honor sir! :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

The difference in the consistency of the pile is what got me. They are individual trichome caps, instead of packed chunks. Images of the hash like that are what got me thinking about how the yield is generated. Pure hash data right there.
Also, as a protip, never use a rolling pin to roll your hash chunks out flat for freeze drying. That will fail. For reasons unknown, yet suspected, it never freeze dries. I had a patty in there since July and it still had trapped moisture in the core.

6 Likes

Maybe because it crush’s the trichome s instead of separating them which seems to be the goal.

Crushing the trichs may trap the water, not sure just a THC induced thought.

I’d want to see the difference in the 2 under the scope.

2 Likes

Oh yah my theory is that it got “cased” by the rolling. The same kind of thing that happens to vegetables in the dehydrator. Once the outer layer is dry it traps the remaining moisture underneath a dry layer, preventing further drying.

6 Likes

I agree with not rolling it thin…I even had cut it up into smaller strips and this is after 2 months in the freezer

7 Likes