The REAL "Skunk" I WAS THERE

Can you share a link, if you happen to be logging your search ?

3 Likes

Exodus cheese was just a selected pheno from cheap skunk 1 seed grown out and kept by members of the exodus collective (Crustie’s) . Think they were positronic or the company that proceeded them but lots of very good skunk came out of those seeds . if you spent more than 10 minutes a day in your growroom , there was no way to not leave a terp trail as you walked down the road.

8 Likes

Great story @CHUBBY44. I can read stuff like that all day. RK was the first kind of weed I ever smoked way back in 1981. An old head we used to score from would call it either red hair sinse, or red hair ghani. I sure hope someone finds it again, and soon like. :evergreen_tree::fire::yum:

8 Likes

I think a lot of the hype for old skunk is nostalgia. The old timers like myself reminiscing about when they were young and all the fun times smoking that went along with that. I think being young goes along with having a lower tolerance and more stories of getting blown out. I think as the years go by the stories get a tad exaggerated. I’m not referring to the OP here just in general. I traveled around with the Dead in the 80’s for two summers and smoked “skunk” from almost every city in America. It was different too because it actually had some humidity to the buds rather then everything else that was completely freaking dry. God I hated when people used to put lettuce or orange peels in their buds to try to bring back some semblance of moisture. Man we could of used some 62% humidity packs back in those days but I digress. The other thing with all the skunk I saw was It wasn’t very manicured and I remember being completely intrigued about how much wider the leaves were and they wrapped around the whole bud. It was also some of the first times I noticed actual visual trichs. I definitely think there was different varieties too but all kinda similar at the same time and coming from different growers around the country some even in colder regions like Maine. I specifically remember this dude from Maine had incredibly grown buds that stunk up the joint. In my opinion it smelled way more like what we call “skunk cabbage” that grows in wet areas in the northeast then a skunk who’s been reemed by a vehicle or pissed on another animal. That’s a little bit different smell IMHO but its close so I can see why people would refer to it as RKS but a dead skunk is way more astringent. I smell dead skunks all the time where I live in the NE and its nasty as hell in a bad way. My buddies dog gets sprayed by one like twice a year the poor overly nosey girl. She hates the bath more than the spraying. Anyways, that smell can gag ya its so nasty and the complete opposite of putting your nose in a bag of beautiful buds and going ahhhhh from the skunky fragrance. Let’s be honest most cannabis has some skunky undertones anyways some more then others but its there. Take a bag of the sweetest cannabis you got that you think doesn’t smell like skunk and have a person who doesn’t smoke and isn’t around it much tell you what the nose is. I can almost guarantee they say skunk. Now imagine if you had them smell something you think has a strong skunk smell yourself. Just gonna use the ECSD as an example here. If I left a bag of that in my vehicle for a day it would reek of skunk cabbage for a week just like those first Afghani’s that came around before the Soviet invasion. If I had the best skunk bag around from back then in one hand and some ECSD in the other almost every person now would snag the Sour D in a second without a thought. The other thing about when the skunks came was everyone was used to smoking mostly sativa mids. You know the cannabis they just let dry in the sun not knowing any better back then(hence the Golds). Don’t get me wrong I loved that stuff but the first time someone smoked weed that made them feel like something smacked the back of their temples with a club with a rush of euphoria like a good heavy Afghani does it was like holy shit this is incredible and also the newness of it added to all that. The new factor always weighs in to everything. I think with all that said if you got a bag of some 70-80’s skunk today you might be pretty disappointed compared to what’s out today. 30-40 years of forward breeding(for the most part) tends to do that. I still would love to smoke a bag of the classic real American Skunk and who knows maybe I would prefer to a SD, Bubba, or a tasty Haze but I highly, highly doubt it. It is fun to reminisce though. Chubby, I am not doubting you at all or your experiences man and I’m just adding my own skunk story from back in the day.

42 Likes

If that’s bodhi ass (American skunk selection)…that should be smelly enough for you. Maybe not roadkill. …but its atleast a damn good attempt.

6 Likes

I’ve seen people go completely ape shit for real skunk weed in the mid 90s.
More than a few got ripped off and old friends soon parted ways.
I hear useful seeds has some good skunk gear.

5 Likes

IMO at this point anyone claiming they have RKS is full of shit. I definitely agree with those saying that nostalgia is clouding the memory. You remember some things a lot more fondly. There have been dozens of people who have at one point said they have it with nobody ever being able to prove anything. At this point I can’t help but roll my eyes anytime someone mentions it. Usually some crazy story to go along with it too…bikers this, my dad/uncle that , heime cheeba etc… all BS in my eyes.

People think the nasty smells come from Afghani lines, not from skunk 1.

13 Likes

If you take a look at Afghan selection gear. You can see in descriptions of the gear they carry ,there’s a few selections that are skunky,funky,rotten chimtral, balkh, and a few more. If I’m not mistaken the ones that seems to have the foul stench are found in the balkh providence.

8 Likes

I hear ya GS ! Great read my friend. Chubby

3 Likes

Thanks JCF… I’ll check this out. Chubby

2 Likes

Thanks Chief. I’ll check them out. Chubby

3 Likes

What up Neo, Our 1970’s Skunk was a Afghan strain, That I’m sure of, but
I’ve also read the “Sam the Skunkman,” stories, and have always wondered where his original seeds came from. My guess would be from Afghanistan too, possibly through the a military connection . BTW… I totally agree with your take on phony skunk stories and claims, that result in all talk and no seeds ! Take care Chubby

5 Likes

Check seedfinder…it give a bit of info on their strains.

2 Likes

There are literally thousands of strains that will ‘reek like a skunk’ for miles if you grow a plot of them.

Skunk never went anywhere, just most weed ‘smells like skunk’ to non tokers.

7 Likes

True, but old school skunk did not need a plot of them to stink for miles. A sealed baggie could stink up a large room. I’m not making any claims for Skunk potency or effects, that may well be nostalgia. However, it did smell more strongly than any strain I’ve had since.

11 Likes

I get ya. I have like 15 kinds of weed that a sealed baggie will stink up a room. Skunk was never lost and people are searching for whats always been there

4 Likes

I don’t know, the majority of popular strains definently don’t have the same funk as even 20 years ago. We got one in midland MI around y2k called Satan’s asshole. Multiple friends got busted by their parents for how bad they stank of weed when they got home, hours after we smoked. That was when we normally got just schwag, mids or kron. Having something with an actual name was fairly rare.

My ex wife always called me strange for smiling when I smelled an actual roadkill skunk, she had no idea.

10 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about, and I’ll know it when I smell and taste it. Wife judges the pot by how many times I sneeze when breaking it up. (Allergies…lol)

Every time I crack the Exodus cheese jar she goes Mmmmm from across the room.
I believe Sam said it’s in the Afghani question is how many seeds you have to crack to find the right stinky Bitch.

12 Likes

I was actually ‘there’ too, i think, cant really remember much tbh i was chonging so much of that kush skunk maannnn :skunk: :sloth: :peace_symbol:

8 Likes

Hey this is going off subject a little but does anyone remember Christmas Tree weed from back in those days too? It was this super piney Mexican that came around every December in time for Christmas but it was called that for its uncanny smell just like a Christmas tree. It was really tasty bud especially for those days but it was compact and had a few seeds in it but not like regular MexiBrick. I miss that way more than the skunk to be honest. Instead of sucking up your ambition that shit made you get up and go. It obviously was not Haze energy but it didn’t make you lazy in the least. I wonder what area of Mexico that stuff came from? I almost just snagged a pack of beans from Chimera as he has that highland Mexican in a BB cross but didn’t pull the trigger.

15 Likes