The SensorPush Hygrometer

I’m running them everywhere too. Because of the cost I’m able to run them in more locations for better data coverage, something that is very cost prohibitive with the Pulse units.

Places I have the sensors:

Grow Room (2 sensors)
Grow Tent
Lung Room
Reservoir Chamber
Drying Cabinet
Curing Room

The first 4 are interconnected systems, so seeing how one affects the other is important to me. As air is exchanged between the grow room and tent I can see how it affects the lung room, which can be adjusted as needed.

I also have the gateway because I wanted to get alerts when I’m away from the house. Been over a year with these myself and I’m loving them. Still find it hard to believe people spend so much money on the Pulse units. (The number of growers touting them is insane.)

4 Likes

Ima bit lost y ppl want $50 per rh senser fer curin n storage when research sez weed above 32F loses potency fast?

Aint yer weed better off long term w $2 boveda to calibrate $3 ebay hygrom. to check jars b4 u put em in the freezer?

And what research is that? Please be specific.

Wait… Who the hell puts their weed in the freezer? The only thing that goes in my freezer is trim, that way I can dry sift and collect the trichomes that fall off. I most certainly would not want to pull my buds out and have all of the good stuff fall off as I tried to roll one. Never mind that the freezer halts the THCA->THC conversion.

But besides that, if you are burping a few jars then sure a cheap hygrometer would be fine. I have 5 gallon buckets full that are curing w/ an automated system. I can literally be across the country and tell you how my flower is curing in each bucket. You cannot do that with a cheap meter. We’re talking about over $5000 worth of product in each bucket, so a one-time $50 sensor is a small price to pay to protect the investment that has got me to that point.

3 Likes

Shure thang boss man. Forensic science 4yr lab research published this year shows fast n predictable degradin at any amt above freezin:

https://www.labcompare.com/10-Featured-Articles/362465-Storage-Stability-of-Hashish-and-Marijuana/ which is a summary of https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2019.02.058

N this 4yr study shows all samples degrade a lot in potency (abt 6% err 3mo) even barely abov freezin (4C) worse if exposed to any light:

Learn somethin new err day! lol

Sorry boss man science disagrees. THCA 2 THC is what yer heat sourse does when smokin. U dont want that until ya smoke. Yer thinkin THC 2 CBN fer reference see https://www.marijuanabreak.com/cbn lol

If yer a cash cropper storin only real short term yer best bet is a storeroom climate controlled to 60F at 60% fer “curing.” Lot cheaper 2 monitor the room. Still u should read the lit I posted n learn to store below freezin if yer storin more than a couple mo. Science aint lyin.

Sorry but I don’t see anything in this study that would say I should freeze my buds. We know there is some degradation over time, that’s a given, but a proper cure and storage will slow that process greatly and not destroy the material at a later date.

Decarboxylation happens during the cure as well and is more efficient then just smoking. On top of that, THCA is still being created from non-psychoactive cannabinoids during the cure.

Apparently you missed the part about me having a curing room with a sensor in it.

The only time I will freeze anything is when I’m making concentrates. Flower is sold right after the cure, and there’s high enough demand I never have enough on hand as it is.

2 Likes

Similar to purchasing a $3 PH probe. Do it anyway that works for ya. I prefer the reliability, accuracy, and the ability to log and monitor cure rates. Later, in sampling, I can go back to see why some bud is smooth vs harsh or why the jar molded over, God forbid. For those who prefer to be analytical.

Also, personally, I have several different harvests albeit each a small batch. They all end up having different moisture content so they end up segmented into different stages of cure. In the same room which is not necessarily humidity controlled. It is cheaper to do it this way than running a dehuey for me.

When I hit an average target near what the Boveda packs are designed for, only then do I add the Boveda to the jar.

Personally, I don’t keep it in the freezer. Not necessarily against it, but idk. After a good cure, makes some sense. P.s., I’ve just submitted some 12 month old product for testing which I’ll publish the data once received back from the lab. I like these sort of analysis.

4 Likes

Im sorry but there aint no need to get defensive. U act like u invented weed n sorta like I just hit yer kid. Its ok to disagree but plz dont get uppity.

I think u missed the quotes of “Significant changes in the THC (degradation) and CBN (formation) content were detected under storage conditions A and B, and almost 100% of THC was degraded after four years” from the 1st link n the rate of decay in the 2nd link “25.22% of Δ9–THC (fig. 4 a) was lost in the first year with an average loss of 6.30% every tree [sic] months” The 2nd quote is avg fer all storage conditions tested.

Them 2 figures is close enough to extrapolate a 2% d9-THC reduction per month from harvest time.

They show that even stored near freezin in dark n sealed container dont stop the degradin even in concentrates. You should read em again boss.

Again I dunt no if u understand whats goin on chemically. THCA isnt bein created durin the cure. What is the precursor to THCA? Understandin that is importante to understanding what Im tryin to teach ya.

Beyond that u dont want NE degradation of the cannabinoids. Sayin you want nethin besides chlorophyll breakin down in yer flower is silly talk no offense. The same process breakin down THCA into THC is also breaking down THC into CBN. U dont want that. “[THCA] is unstable, and slowly decarboxylates into THC during storage, and the THC itself slowly degrades to cannabinol” says wiki which I trust as a source for this.

N I didnt miss a curin room I just dont see ne pics of it n I dont get why u care bout each bucket if yer whole room is ideal temp n rh. What r u goina do if yer around the world n a bucket swings wild in one direction? That means yer room is wrong. Get yer helpers to fix the room not the buckets. N u should always err on the side of 2 dry newayz.

My 3rd link is bout concentrate degradation. U seem averse to changin opinions based on new info errr not even digesting the new info. Why?

I agree n anybody can spend their cash ne way they want. I only mean that the data implies that a cure outside the freezer might be a bad thing so there aint no need for fancy shite cuz we want our harvests above freezin for as little as possible. Im bringin this up cuz im the analytical type not the anecdotal type.

Nother thing is we shuld be real clear bout what exact compounds n processes wez attemptin to improve by a 60f 60rh cure cuz it aint clear to me. Chlorophylls maybe? Wut else tho? Anythin non anecdotal?

I appreciate u editing in a few caveats Loki after readin the data n not just relyin on anecdotals. The data shows a few important things:

Degradation starts immediately regarldless of source - flower or extract.
Degradation is predictable.
Degredation is only slowed by temps below freezing n lack of light.

1 Like

Ditto. I don’t see his response as being defensive at all. Quite the opposite. Here is the chart from that study (via the synopsis linked):

Notice that the test conditions have multiple independent variables such that they didn’t test under similar conditions for the claimed independent variable, temperature.

The low temperature trial was with a screw cap while the room temperature trials were with permeable fabric (gauze) exposing the contents to oxygen, humidity, and whatever else is going on. Doesn’t seem like equivalent test conditions at all to me. The original paper is paywalled so I can’t thoroughly evaluate their experiment. But, the provided labcompare link is also critical of the results for preciously the same reasons. This doesn’t mean the study is not without value, it does mean you’d need to carefully consider the test conditions and whether the results would be actually useful outside of their intent.

Ignoring the deficiencies in the study, we’d be looking at a reduction of around 50% over a period of 700 days for the worst case scenario evaluated. That’s a really long time. It’s true, according to this study, that the decomposition of cannabinoids slows with temperature to an 50% reduction over 1600 days. So, four an a half years.

Personally, I don’t retain product for over 12 months. Don’t have a need to. I’d be fine with a 25% reduction in a twelve month period (or maybe less if not linear). This is despite the indication that the room temperature tests appear to be exposed to oxygen and atmospheric conditions. So, perhaps the shelf-life could be even longer…

Here are some more charts from a different study, though:

In that study the difference in rate of decomposition at room vs reduced temperatures for, in this case, an extract appears minimal. I’d be more concerned with terpene evaporation.

While, this is an interesting discussion and we would love to improve how we do things, I’d suggest either opening a topic about storing product under cold conditions or going over to

and we can continue the debate on the differences, storage conditions, cost, anecdotal evidence, etc. Otherwise, this is going well off topic on the Sensorpush…

edit: have just received a laboratory analysis for a simple long term storage test that can be found over here:

5 Likes

I bought two for both tents but the app cannot save the sensor after detecting it. All permissions done, tried in another mobile and same thing happened :sweat:. I contacted the company support to see if they can solve it, cheers … :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t recognize the look of that application. Is that from the Sensorpush. Or, maybe it’s a newer version?

Edit: Oops, sorry. You’re using the Inkbird?

1 Like

Yes, though the SensorPush was too expensive as I could buy 3 Inkbird and it would be even cheaper. They say when you buy cheap you buy twice times, hope it is not my case … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Inkbird is generally well regarded. I don’t have one so can’t help much, though. LJ might have some insight.

1 Like

Thanks, I thought this could be useful info for people that have in mind buying some sensor, cheers … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Replacing batteries this week and running calibration on a bunch of sensorpush modules.

Units:

Boveda Calibration Packs (75.5%):

Environmental Chamber. Set to 70F:

Thermocouple:

48 hours later, adjustments to match chamber temperature and 75.5% RH as follows:

Unit Temperature Adjust (F) Humidity Adjust (RH%)
1 -1.3 -0.80%
2 -1.4 0.10%
3 -1.2 -0.50%
4 -1 -1.60%
5 -1.4 1.80%
6 -1.4 0.20%
7 -1.1 0%
8 -1.2 2%
9 -0.80% -2.00%
10 -1.5 3.50%
11 -1.5 3.10%

Temperatures look pretty consistent across the units. It is likely that my thermocouple is off about a degree (or maybe theirs is off). Relative humidity varies a bit more with a maximum variation spread across the units of around 5% RH.

3 Likes

I was browsing around to start integration with a desktop app and noted that Sensor Push has recently released some new variants of their device:

HTP.xw Water-Resistant Temperature / Humidity / Barometric Pressure
HT.w Water-Resistant Temperature / Humidity

The original version specifications:

Temperature Accuracy
(0°C - 60°C / 32°F - 140°F) ±0.3°C / ±0.5°F typical ±0.5°C / ±0.9°F maximum
Temperature Accuracy
(Full Range) ±0.7°C / ±1.3°F typical 1.2°C / ±2.2°F max
Humidity Accuracy
(@ 25°C / 77°F, from 20% - 80% RH ) ±3% typical ±4.5% maximum
Humidity Accuracy
(@ 25°C / 77°F, from 0% - 100% RH ) ±4.5% typical ±7.5% maximum

The HT.w specifications:

Temperature Accuracy
(20°C - 60°C / 68°F - 140°F) ±0.2°C / ±0.36°F typical, ±0.4°C / ±0.72°F maximum
Temperature Accuracy
(Full Range) ±0.6°C / ±1.08°F typical, 1.0°C / ±1.8°F maximum
Humidity Accuracy
(@ 25°C / 77°F, from 10% - 90% RH ) ±2% typical, ±4.5% maximum
Humidity Accuracy
(@ 25°C / 77°F, from 0% - 100% RH ) ±4% typical, ±7.5% maximum

The HT.xw specifications:

Temperature Accuracy
(20°C - 60°C / 68°F - 140°F) ±0.1°C / ±0.18°F typical ±0.3°C / ±0.54°F maximum
Temperature Accuracy
(Full Range) ±0.2°C / ±0.36°F typical 0.3°C / ±0.54°F maximum
Humidity Accuracy
(@ 25°C / 77°F, from 0% - 80% RH ) ±1.5% typical, ±3% maximum
Humidity Accuracy
(@ 25°C / 77°F, from 0% - 100% RH ) ±2% typical, ±3% maximum
Barometric Pressure Accuracy
(@ -20-60°C / -4-140°F ) ±0.5mb / 0.015inHg typical, ±1.5mb / 0.044inHg maximum

The high accuracy version is a significant improvement as increasing accuracy (versus precision) is an exponentially difficult challenge when it comes to metrology. They don’t express any drift characteristics but assuming that the accuracy takes this into account, this is a significant specification at +/- 0.1C.

And, the price does reflect this improvement at nearly double the price of the original version. However, relative to temperature metrology with similar specifications, this is quite inexpensive. Real world performance will tell the tale.

I do not see a case for the increased precision for general use but for those who are OCD or who are collecting detailed experimental data, it is useful. The addition of barometric pressure is also a metric that may not be needed for many but can come in handy for those who need such information, such as calculation of dissolved gas (oxygen) percentages (relies on barometric pressure).

In addition, they claim that the battery life for the newer sensors have increased from 12 months to 24 months. On the original version, I was getting greater than 12 months on the batteries anyhow so it’ll be interested to see if there is an improvement there.

I’m going to purchase a couple of the high accuracy versions to give them a try.

6 Likes

This is a really informative thread, thanks. Made for a really good read.

3 Likes

I use them for my stream on twitch and I have the gateway as well, overall it was about 260$

1 Like

FWIW, I periodically browse over to your Twitch stream. Nice work.

@SuperiorBuds channel, too. I thought he had the sensorpush stuff on his stream as well at one point.

1 Like

i actually got the idea of SP from @SuperiorBuds, even though i dont know how many times i pm’d him on twitch asking about his program hes using. Alas no answer :stuck_out_tongue:

Ive also been trying to get his ass over into the discord i have set up for twitch streamers and fans of the like.

maybe now he will see this message :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

He was developing some custom code at one point, at minimum for a VPD widget.

1 Like