TIL - Today I Learned

A post was merged into an existing topic: Notill organics

TDL this while googling some recipes…

10 Likes

If this is true you just blew my mind.
Kat within a Kat within a Kat…

I think I need to run to 7-11.

Today I learned that when I see candy, I want candy. Basically I learned I am the stereotypical fat guy.

Stay hazed
Jake

9 Likes

Kit Kats are now officially my new favorite candy.

TIL In the films “Rocky,” (1976) and “Rocky Balboa,”(2006) Rocky’s pet turtles were played by the same two turtles.

4 Likes

Just a thought… Should we have two topics one “Today I learned” for things cannabis and other for not relevant topics? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

TIL hollywood is far more depraved than i could have ever imagined. i feel sorry for all of them.

2 Likes

Today I learned that …

Karyofylen oxid is terpenoid that guarding dogs are trained to when intercepting cannabis on the borders…

This substance is completely innocence though…

So if you want to cause some a lot of trouble add a drop of Karyofylen onto someone’s cloth :smiley: .

12 Likes

TIL plants absorb UV just as easily as they do blue and red light, and the absorption spectrum isn’t the same as how effectively each wavelength drives photosynthesis.

http://plantsinaction.science.uq.edu.au/content/122-chlorophyll-absorption-and-photosynthetic-action-spectra

Plants grown in the field use UV light for photosynthesis less effectively than their lab-grown counterparts, because they have effectively produced sunscreen to protect themselves. The plants receiving regular UV are producing these products because they’ve received light outside of the normal PAR range, leaving two conclusions imo.

Either the UV acts as a signal for the plant to use some energy normally produced through photosynthesis to produce these products.
Or.
The plant uses the UV light in a system separate from photosynthesis to produce these products.

Your thoughts?

6 Likes

Bleach doesn’t kill mold on porous surfaces

7 Likes

Good problem you have given us. I will be thinking on that one. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Studies I have read suggest you have about a 2 week window with Cannabis to utilize UV light. I believe if you have good genetics, you have good genetics and there are no magical enhancements. Does it have some effect? Perhaps, but it would be so insignificant I doubt it is worth the cost to use it.

:2cents

2 Likes

Mold spores are ubiquitous. Drying the air is the only way to effectively manage it.

New lumber from lumber yards is covered with black mold, and right into your home it goes.

5 Likes

can confirm. have personally installed tens of thousands of moldy studs in new apartments and condo buildings. green mold though its sometimes pretty dark.

3 Likes

I think so!

2 Likes

By the time that beautiful Canadian lumber gets down here to Massof2shits, the mold has pretty much blackened, but there is a hint of green.

Built a few homes too.

2 Likes

You misunderstand my question.

I completely agree with you that using UV in your grow is probably not worth it if you’re using it for the last two weeks of a plants life. Giving elderly people steroids might be a little late in the game to turn em into bodybuilders too. But.
There are a great many compounds plants create to protect themselves from UV, that’s irrefutable.

My question was, are these compounds created using energy from the UV light itself. Thereby bypassing PSII and PSI and using some other system to turn it into energy.
Or, is the UV light just a signal to the plant. Not unlike how a hormone triggers a plant to produce compounds it hadn’t before.

2 Likes

I don’t know about only using uv the last 2 weeks, but if you compare a de hps(with uv) to a hps you will notice more tricomes on the same strain.

1 Like

True enough, but I can get way more trics using LED tech over HPS lighting. I used HPS lighting for years and years and once I changed over to LED the difference was ten fold.

It’s going to take me a minute to find it, but I do have a video explaining how and why UV works. The trics actually do not like the UV exposure, so the plant as a defense build and extra layer to protect it’s self, or at least that is the theory.

Not really, but I did give kind of a lame answer. Yes, there is actually a molecule that is actually produced from UV that can not be produced by HPS lighting, however it can be produced by LED lighting. Testing has been done and it is well documented as well. Another article I’ll have to find, but I will.

1 Like

Here is a good video that explains some of the above questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dny-koVRJLs

2 Likes

Have you tried de hps with a plant bulb??? You should give one a try. I have seen the difference also between a normal hps and led and I agree that led is better, however for light coverage and depth I prefer de hps. Depending on your ceiling height, there are many reflector types available for de hps. I am setting up a new room that will have de hos and cmh ( 3 and 4k bulbs)

I do not factor in electricity costs in my comparisons.

3 Likes