TIL - Today I Learned

Shit happens. That’s what happens.

TIL of Strepsiptera, or the Twisted-Wing Parasites. Imagine the original Sleeping Beauty story meets Alien. It’s legitimately horrifying. I suggest you don’t learn what I learned today. Lol
But then the question is – will you regret reading this, more than you’ll regret not reading it?

4 Likes

Tonight I learned:

The fuel gauge on our 2nd van is off by 1/4 tank…

Walking 2 miles in 40 degree rain is no fun when you leave your coat at home lol.

Supposed to be a 26 gallon tank but took 27.7 gallons to fill it up…

10 Likes

Make sure you warm those bones back up.

Brrr.

2 Likes

I did, but I’m surprised to report this morning that i’m sore like I spent the day at the gym yesterday. Everything is just a bit overly tender lol.

3 Likes

Today I learned that “truthers” don’t tell the truth.

4 Likes

I just watched the beige power video. I can understand how, as a taxpayer, you wouldn’t appreciate paying for this video. I’m puzzled about it being racist though. The message seems to be that there are mixed race people throughout Canada and that racists should just get over it. To me, that message seems to be the opposite of racist. What am I missing?

This video is state-funded race baiting.
It condescendingly implies that only “non beige” people are racist. When in fact, racist people come with all different levels of epidermal melanin.

5 Likes

That is highly possible. I hadn’t thought about that. It would probably totally obvious if I was Canadian, I was looking at a single video with no other context. Thank you for the explanation. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. I often forget that. I’ve known people of different colors that were racist. It often seems like only white people are racist, which fills me with a sense of shame.

2 Likes

Today I learned. Complaining to amazon gets you free shit. No serious. I’ve had like £60 back in a week with 3 free items

8 Likes

It doesn’t always work for us on the USA side. They’ve gotten stingy lol.

4 Likes

Probably the tax break us brits give em that’s swinging it then lol

3 Likes

I learned the tighter I pre-press my buds the easier the collection because the bud is very nicely contained after pressing. I was pre-pressing in a garlic press. When I squished it with 6 tons, it went everywhere, spilling out the sides from between plates. Lots of plant matter got into the goo.

Today I used my pollen press and squashed 1.5 grams of flowers into a 16mm dia. x 10mm long coin. I made three of these. These were dense as hell. They squeezed down in an almost perfect circle with very few crumbs and made lots of goo. Less cleanup, more yield. :D:fireworks:

10 Likes

I just learned from a post on here i’m not to use 3 in 1 oil for my fans cos it apparently gunks up. Shame i didn’t read that a few weeks back before i used 3 in 1 oil on 3 circulation fans :poop: Apparently i should be using non detergent 5/20 engine oil. Someone should market a 4/20 oil for us growers :grin:

7 Likes

7 Likes

the entire song is basically celebrating cultural genocide through miscegenation. starting with the implication from the title “a beige horizon is inevitable” and the chorus “beige power beige power, mixey mix arousin, gonna look the same by the year 3000 and don’t get me wrong, i love diversity, but the future their celebrating sounds like the complete absence of diversity.

if the song was called white power and white people were celebrating how everyone will look identical in year 3000 there’d be no question

5 Likes

Thanks for responding.

Without a doubt. My puzzlement was more or less from the view of a spectator. We have different issues at the forefront here in the US. Canadian issues seldom appear on newscasts here.

Cheers :vulcan:

Today I learned the U.K. is the largest exporter of government backed medicinal cannabis in the world. Yet the home office say “it holds no medicinal value”

2 Likes

I’ve been off for few days and just learned that /top discovery mode on homepage (and then filtering for Week) is great way to find out what important discussions have happened in the meantime…

There is still a lot of stuff to catch on :thinking:

9 Likes

Today I learned pine sol covers up the aroma of decarboxlation… . :lying_face:

7 Likes