Tinytuttle's Grow Chronicles 2019

GZ up close topped with some compost snagged a couple red wigglers in the process of top dressing watered well! . I may roll those edges down as well to help against additional wicking!

12 Likes

Looks like i have a fun project in the next days Plan is to water all four beds with this kit, 2carrots and distributors for 3x3 and maybe four carrots for 4x4 beds with distributors, all from an elevated 5 gallon res constructed with conduit may have to reinforce the 1/2 with some 3/4 on the horizontal section we’ll see!

18 Likes

Have you used blumats before?

I had some, once they are in place you cant move your pots, if you break the seal between the carrot and the soil, they will empty the whole of your res through the pot and all over the floor as I have experienced twice now, coming down in the morning to 40 liters of water all over the floor is not much fun lol. So I dont use them any more.

5 Likes

I second this… It looks very healthy as of now… Seems you have a green thumb on hand.

Mental Note taken… That does not sound fun…

K.

5 Likes

@Shadey can you explain that a little bit better? What seal are you referring to? The green plastic part? I also got some blumats to use in my outdoor guerrilla grow experiment to reduce the number of visits to the spot. It wouldn’t be so bad if they break because it’s just the forest, no need to clean anything, the plants would be a little bit overwatered but they would recover. I’m now a little bit confused if you are saying that we can’t move them from the place we put them, or if we just need to be careful when doing it. I wanted to put them nearby the seedlings first and then moving away from them once they were growing to expand the roots. The plants will be directly on the ground, not in pots.

2 Likes

The ceramic carrot on the bottom of the blumat develops a seal with the soil, when you push it in the soil, at whatever soil moisture level you decide to have it at, the carrot is soaked before its inserted, so if the blumats dry out or get moved in the soil and lose contact with it, they will think the soil is dry at that point and release water. If the water does not moisten the ceramic carrot enough, it will continue to feed water until the res is empty. I had big pots, so my drip points were not close to the carrot.

If you move the pots re insert the carrot in another place or make sure the soil is tight around it.

5 Likes

Thanks for explaining and warning me of that. I will be more careful with it. I have 3 distributors for each carrot so I will try to keep atleast 1 near the carrot but if it’s an animal stumbling into the tubes and moving the carrot out of its hole, then there isnt much that I can do about it.

2 Likes

That’s what I had, 3 drips per pot, none near the carrot.

1 Like

The garden is lookin great, nice work mate!

Love the homemade trelis netting, well done DIY!

2 Likes

Hey tut, can I put my used seed starter mix aka soilless mix in the compost?

2 Likes

Ya I bought a few back in December/Jan I messed up once due turning them up and forgetting about them totally my fault I do like them will take a bit for the distributors probably.

1 Like

Absolutely it will recharge it so to say and will probably be better than it went in.

2 Likes

Thanks for stopping in glad to have ya here!

1 Like

Hmmm must of rained a bit last night while I was at work , 2 full rain barrels of water thinking of making some compost tea perhaps?

3 Likes

Looking back just 7 days ago I’d say a few of my auto AK 59’s have more than doubled their size by now… early morning pic for you viewing pleasure!

9 Likes

Well the blumats are installed had to do some conversions from centimeters to inches and such fucked up one bucket by drilling a to big of hole than needed (stoned at the time) , trellis working out perfect! as of now there’s 4 gallons in it and having no issues with bend on 1/2” conduit! Beds were wet from the night before carrots soaked in cooled boiled water and primed couple snips here and there and whola! No leaks at the bulk head and all distributors are working great!

11 Likes

13 Likes

Looking really good. My setup Will be similar except the bucket will be hung on a tree probably in the middle of a mountain’s forest. Maybe have to paint it for camouflage too. Today I put in the spot the last things. A shovel to make the holes, a tarp to mix the soil and the 22L buckets to carry water, and stuff.

Next visit I Will bring 2 buckets with the blumat bulk head added and the blumat stuff and I Will setup it. Maybe I Will also bring the moby dick because she will be ready for transplant around that time and she can test the system before the others. Let’s see if this will work.

15 Likes

Sweet Jesus you and how many mules did it take to pack that all in? Lol

10 Likes

Ya may need to rid of some that white ! Tends to show like a beacon 100’s feet away!

8 Likes