Tinytuttle's Grow Chronicles 2019

:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Found this for ya may be the issue your dealing with ā€¦ but they can also take upward of 30 days to germinate also!

Stratification
Some columbine seeds, especially those that come from nonhybrid plants, must be stratified in order to germinate. In nature, these seeds fall to the ground and lie dormant until spring. They have internal mechanisms in place that activate after a certain amount of time in cold temperatures. For these plants to be started indoors, these conditions have to be mimicked. Arrange columbine seeds on top of moist paper towels, insert them into a plastic bag and place the bag in the refrigerator for three to six weeks prior to planting. Check them regularly to prevent the seeds from drying out.

4 Likes

I do have some left. They are the coated type seeds too! Been in the greenhouse a month now to no avail. It does say germ time 3 to 4 weeks, but I donā€™t think they are gonna come up honestly

And Iā€™m sure the soap would work for skin, but you would more than likely want something more emollient, but Iā€™m a girl and Iā€™m picky. lol

4 Likes

Theyā€™ve been in the greenhouse for a month, probably had cold and hot and they are coated for easy germ. They can stay until I plant the rest outside. If they donā€™t sproutā€¦compost lol. Would be nice though they are a perennial

3 Likes

Seedling update looks like we have germination on all cabbages, mesclun, lettuces and lupine seeds.

8 Likes

Took cutting yesterday 2/7/2019 3 each from each female

Popped more seeds today (2/8) here whatā€™s up next !
Sour blue tooth
Agent K
Lowryder x Uv
Dark devil
Brett mix (a mix of seeds consisting of any of the following)

Short bus , Magoo , or blue kush x shortbus

9 Likes

8 Likes

Well getting the spring gardening bug had some stuff lying around some wire panel and some heavier bubble wrap as well.

Why not construct a little insulting tunnel for up and coming cold weather crops?

8 Likes

The raw framework! In a few weeks with the tilting of the earth the north bed should be getting into full sunlightā€¦ itā€™s a little spotty now from the shade of the houseā€™

9 Likes

Hell yes! Spring fever! Life is good when itā€™s time to start playing outside in the garden!

7 Likes

Ok been tossing around some thoughts @ReikoX or anyone else thatā€™s tried a homemade fish hydrosolate . What if I just punch a few holes down through the media of the pot and I slip whole minnows down the holes and let the microbes in the soil have at them and deteriorate them over time ? Would Iā€™d be asking for trouble doing this method? This is howā€™s the Indians did it with their corn crops right? The MENDO boys did something similar with one of their grows and they made song out of it ! " FISH HEAD SOUP! Lol

4 Likes

Are we thinking indoors or out? Outdoors may attract some scavengers that then dig up your plants. Indoors it would probably work. My inner lazy gardener says just add some fish to your worm bins and use the castings as normal.

The advantage of the fish fertilizer I make is it doesnt smell like fish once fermented. This is a bonus for indoor container gardening. I bought some Alaskan fish fertilizer and it most definitely smells like fish.

6 Likes

I had an idea I have yet to try about making better fish hydrosolate using minnows and bought enzys for breaking down proteins, fats, and starches.

5 Likes

Indoors up of course it would be buried several inches deep !

I like that idea as well !

I have used that stuff as well and some of biobizz stuff to it all smells like :poop:

4 Likes

Hey mesh following up on the columbine seeds a bit Iā€™d think that if they are coated they already went through the scarification process. Are they rolled in a clay-like substance then ? Iā€™ve kept them in the frig dry though in past years wondering if they need the cold and wet together combo to sprout might roll some up in a wet paper towel and bag tonight and tape it so itā€™s visible inside the frig

3 Likes

Still no sign of life on my columbines. How about you? Yeah, coated in some clay like substance. The mums I have have that coating too. Neither one germed for me

3 Likes

Donā€™t see anything from columbine or spider plants yet I picked more seed at WM couple days ago going to try that wet/cold combo in a wet paper towel inside a baggies for a couple weeks in the frig trick will report back

Man itā€™s some damn small seed thatā€™s for sure!

3 Likes

This will be my next round of flower seeds Iā€™d say the blue and this Harlequin columbines are probably my fav I have some pinkish with yellow in my front yard that seem to come back year to year but donā€™t every get more than 8 inches tall every year

8 Likes

The canterbury bells are actually a biannual, if you didnā€™t know. No flowers until next year. I have some seedlings in my greenhouse too! lol Very pretty

Let me know if the dinky columbine seeds without the coating germā€¦ if they do Iā€™ll throw out the coated seeds and try some that are not coated.

I donā€™t know whatā€™s up with that stupid coating, it claims they germ easier with it. Not in my greenhouse apparently

5 Likes

Ya Iā€™v never been a big fan of coated seeds never bought them probably wonā€™t either IMO I think itā€™s more a marketing ploy than anything.

4 Likes