Understanding Cannabis Tolerance Breaks

It’s strange. I’m drowning in weed and I almost never use it. Novelty and the like I guess.

4 Likes

Seriously, @Foreigner ? I’m not judging, just interested. I use it like a tool. Don’t you find it “Useful?”

When I’m caught up in a real dilemma, looking at it through the CannaLense provides a different and usually helpful perspective.

That may just be me…

4 Likes

Yeah for real.

I’ll have an edible from time to time and I like a little hoot of hash but if someone passes me a joint I just pass it on. Even pre covid.

The only time I smoke flower is at 3am or for quality control testing.

There was a point in my life where I smoked 15 joints a day.

These days I just grow for Mrs Foreigner. She smokes all the time.

Growing is my medicine far more than it smoking is.

I recently thought that taking drugs was to have a mind altering novel experience. If you smoke all day it’s neither novel nor mind altering.

No shame on people who do, it’s just not my thing anymore.

6 Likes

Good and reasonable answer @Foreigner, I am also among those who really love growing this plant.

That scene in the “Close Encounters…” movie where Richard Dreyfus is scratching up a model of Devil’s Postpile, that is how I feel about Cannabis. The plant strikes me as an icon of some sort, an itch in my soul. Compulsion, sort of.

So, yeah, I understand where you’re coming from.

2 Likes

On the subject of tolerance 20mg of edibles now kicks my ass, which is kind of nice. A batch of cookies lasts forever. I used to need, say, 80mg.

3 Likes

There’s an idea to that. It’s an escape, if only for the moment. But yes when it’s your 24/7 what’s the difference? You have to experience the bad to savor the good. I try to not smoke while I’m out, or working, which helps just keep me accountable and productive too. What I do constantly though is talk and read about cannabis. Interests keep you going, more than drugs is my take on that. If you aren’t interested in life you won’t be happy.

Unfortunately for me I seem to like extraction and consumption far more than growing. It’s like making your own beer, how many grow their own hops too?

But I’m off topic a bit… keeping my doses low keeps my tolerance low. It’s a habit at this point but I try not to let it become a bad one, you know? I have maintained an even tolerance for over a year at that rate. Never taking a break for more than a day maybe, except a hospital visit for a week (honestly didn’t do anything for my tolerance, was odd).

6 Likes

I had 3 different hop varieties.

When I get into something I get way into it. There was a time I had 7 ferments going on at the same time. I don’t drink anymore but I miss brewing. I also miss the forced exercise of walking to the liquor store. Don’t miss the actual drinking.

It’s funny. As kids we would roll up 7 gram joints to seem cool but the idea of that now is just silly to me. Even though I just rolled some massive ones for Mrs Foreigner I only did it as a joke to make fun of her.

But I agree about trying to keep your tolerance low. I get pretty stoned off a few puffs when I’m testing out a new harvest. I need to know what it tastes/feels like to effectively explain it to people.

9 Likes

That’s some grown man shit, I’ve found. That’s why I didn’t get along with kids in school and my only friends are 30 years older than me or more. I don’t quite know if it comes from work ethic, maturity, wisdom, or what. Few people truly relate it seems without being like “why don’t kids work themselves to death these days?” Jerry Seinfeld always seems to remind me of it in his humor.

3 Likes

Some people are just simple and that’s fine. I don’t mean it as an insult, in fact being complicated can be a curse.

I’ve never had a problem with working hard but I’ve got a big problem with working hard to make somebody else rich.

7 Likes

I envy your access to mushrooms. I used to have a local friend who “grew them” in his basement. He was a Cornell guy and it was mostly a curiosity for him. He would give me a bunch of dried shrooms and I would micro-dose to enhance my cognitive abilities. I used them when I was planting outdoor cannabis in clearings in the forest. I’d arrive early in the morning, drive down a remote logging road on a relatives 300 acres. I had a large army chamouflage tarp that would cover my VW beetle parked under large white pines. I’d create a map of all my grow locations. I’d bring in large quantities of soilless mix and amendments and 5 or 6 five gallon containers full of water. I’d spend the whole day planting under the glow of the shrooms. Later, I’d return home and share my enhanced feelings with my old lady. Those were the days.

4 Likes

No, never had that happen although I do remember occasional night sweats but never connected it to cannabis?

1 Like

Wasn’t it Kurt Vonnegut who said that Homo sapiens large brain was a problem not an asset?

3 Likes

No night sweats, no. But a few times lately, I dreamed in 3rd person. It was funny watching me do my thing in the dream. It was surreal. I knew I was dreaming, but never one like that before.
I’m not a daily, weekly smoker. Hell, i usually go months without smoking. Even though I don’t smoke often, I still have a high tolerance. It’s not that I have to smoke a lot to get blazed. A couple of hits is more than enough for me.
However, most strains can’t deliver what I need in a couple of hits, so I have to be very selective about what I smoke.
Strains that most people say are awesome, I’ll be like I don’t know what they see in it.
To me that is a weird type of tolerance.

4 Likes

My experience was quite different. I was a 60’s guy who lived in a psychedelic reality for several years like many people of my era. Using cannabis helped to maintain a cosmic perspective on a daily basis when you were not tripping. It was an ally really and it still is to me. I still consider my expanded consciousness from psychedelics to be the high point in my understanding of the universe. I briefly held infinity in the palm of my hand and eternity in an hour. And while ecstasy doesn’t last, it’s there and then it’s gone, but it leaves behind a feeling of inner peace. May you all joyfully embrace the moments of our time here and now, tonight. Wow, am I ranting again. Sorry, I’m having fun tonight smoking more than usual.

5 Likes

No, me too and I’m sure many others. The relationship I have with this plant is very interesting. It opens my third eye, it slows down the precious moments and enhances all my senses. Sometimes it helps me sleep. Sometimes it invigorates me. Sometimes it helps me see things from a different perspective. Amazingly useful tool!

6 Likes

Quit smoking weed
Twice
A year to clear my head,it’s good for you I’m off smoking at the minute I’ll go back on it January

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had an unlimited supply for so long now I forgot what it was like when things were totally dry for months for damn near everyone. I’ve thrown out thousands of 1 to 2 inch long roaches in the past few years. I can’t be bothered with already smoked roaches, I want fresh and I always have enough for that and then some. Sometimes I feel guilty because I’m so wasteful. But it ends up as compost anyway in a few years even if properly stored. Soon, we’ll be able to share it here in New York. This is gonna be amazing!

5 Likes

@PilgrimProgress, Sharing is what I was taught at an early age and love to see the genuine thanks on their faces and only wish that the Dominican’s in NYC would share some Piff beans. Have the Laws changed in NY recently about giving away herb? I know here in California it’s okay to give and carry up to one ounce on person.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had a technical job that required concentration and memory. I couldn’t smoke the night before. It was also a job that required random urine analysis which I think was a total invasion of my privacy. Retired now so in a way, no restrictions, but more fragile too so moderation is more logical.

4 Likes

I found the tincture and edibles raised my tolerance more than concentrates.

6 Likes