Using a coin flip and a hose washer to mail seeds

I recently sent @JBow918 5 different strains, a total of about 65 seeds, all in coin flips with hose washers, taped to a piece of paper and mailed in a 6x9 envelope, and it only cost me the price of one first class stamp, and they all arrived there quickly and intact. I could have easily fit another coin flip in there as well with no additional postage.

13 Likes

Just shipped this to UKā€¦

6 Likes

4 stamps to all countries will always work

3 Likes

Exactly! Thickness is where they get you

3 Likes

For anyone using bubble mailers/blister packs, Iā€™ve been having issues with mine. For whatever reason it takes way longer than a regular envelope to reach their destination, and the seeds take a worse beating. Had one that someone had to pay the extra postage cause of thickness issues, even though none of the others had the same problem.

Ordered some coin flips and hose washers myself. Never had an issue with standard business envelopesā€¦ Just that packing the corrugated plastic is so tedious and seeds occasionally get crushed. Donā€™t work harder, work smarter.

3 Likes

Worked at the local post office during the holidays and yes those bubbles get mangled!

Regular envelopes can be auto sorted in a machine where bubble packs or anything rigged can not be used in that machine. Hand sorted which causes delays.

5 Likes

Pretty much what @cdnBuddy said. the flat mail and envelopes go thru a machine(takes it week to two from having to go to the few places with machines, extra time for forwarding service, got stuck in wrong tray to different office, and etc.) Then package wise any clerks depending on office and when they get the different boxes. From what Iā€™ve been lead to believe is the policy for order of importance of most important down in case something is held till next day is as follows / express packages/then
box of priority packages/ then amazon,ups and Fed ex depending on which day of receiving them the individual contract says will be delivered at each office/ then bags of medicine// (use to didnā€™t matter which way sent it, time would be same for most stuff but now anything after this is more likely and often left till next day)// then there is a box of all priority and first class mail that came from a center with package sorting machines( anything under a shoe box can go thru those)/ then is anything priority, first class, or ground with tracking thatā€™s over sized, sorting machine couldnā€™t read or had gone for a ride to the wrong place first/ lastly is the un tracked stuff and stuff that the machine that tell clerks who gets it canā€™t read that have to look up by hand(typically foreign packages but smeared or damage tracking can do the same). That might not be true for everywhere thou and now adays can really really see a delay and this list being wrong and unlikely to get to step 2 due to call outs,sick employees and injured employees. Doesnā€™t help ethier that in my office alone last 5 new hires quit within there first week, number 6 is hanging on still fingers cross! // Ramble over //

3 Likes

Guess not over side note if you have a package scanned delivered and isnā€™t on your porch or says dog interference and donā€™t have a dog around 7pm. Itā€™s bc your post office wants there stats to look good for the higher ups looking at a computer and prolly is just at the post office waiting till next day. So no worries since they wonā€™t answer the phone after close even if they are tere at most offices . Lol

3 Likes

Do the rubber washerā€™s have to be hard nylon? Can the washers be just a little soft?

2 Likes

I just use your standard rubber orange or black washers . There some what squishy .

4 Likes

no, they should be rubber - thick but pliable - the hose washers are perfect

3 Likes

It finally arrived this morning UK time, it took 1 month for it to get thereā€¦it might not be feasible to ship cuttings to UK if itā€™s gonna take that longā€¦better late than never. I shipped it my way, using bud light bottle caps.

Phil Cuisineā€™s menuā€¦:joy::sweat_smile::rofl:

This guy is from a different groupā€¦

11 Likes

I would love

some of those Viet Gold

is that your first time with
this strain ?

Bare

3 Likes

No, I created/bred this strain for my personal useā€¦I used a clone only strain Schrom a Columbian Gold lineage.

Vietnam Black Ɨ Schrom = Vietnam Gold

13 Likes

figured throw this here other than just in my own thread where it will hide away.

For those with 3d Printers hereā€™s what ive been using for myself, these have a radiused bottom lip just for ease of removal from my printer plate.

And you just use generic 25mm/1" stickers or tape to seal the seeds in on both sides

11 Likes

And there reusable!

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome! Thanks for sharing that @Mr.Sparkle . Now I just need to get a 3d printer. :rofl:
Iā€™ll just make my bro print me some.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing with some different sized Hexaganol ones in the last day though i would have to get or make custom stickers for them or use round ones and cut the edges if not wanting to go down the vinyl plotter route, advantage though they pack the seeds a bit better and are easier to tape a couple together if your shipping more than one in a letter.

Though the whole reason for the round 1"/25mm ones was so that i could use easy to find cheap stickers which are typically only about $5 for 500 on ebay or aliexpress and there are enough places out there where you could get custom one printed if so desired.

Making a couple things better just to add complexity else where it seemsā€¦ lol but they beat vials or containers like below as then you can just pay regular letter rates to ship them as they are under that 5mm thickness requirement for regular postal rates.

8 Likes

I like the hex shaped ones, they remind me of hex based board games from the 90s.

9 Likes

My take on this tech. If anyone is interested

3 Likes