Using a coin flip and a hose washer to mail seeds

:grin: good idea :bulb:

2 Likes

yep those are the ones I use :+1:

3 Likes

The lady at the po counter told me that if I do not bring them to the counter, it will be machined. They put a special stamp on them, and Iā€™m sure they separate them out as well.

4 Likes

Nope. Pretty much anything under a quarter inch thick gets rolled. Packages cost more from thickness.
After doing some mailing I think the coin flip is the best option for mailing seeds.
Itā€™s sleeker, easier, and cheaper. Plus you donā€™t have to go into that freaking building

3 Likes

i have had seeds shipped to me in coroplast that survived the shipping but they or the q-tips used to keep the seeds in were wedged so far inside the coroplast and they had to be cut out of the coroplast, and not all of them survived that process

4 Likes

Yeah coroplast really isnā€™t the best to use in envelopes unless you use a pretty big piece of it.

2 Likes

I have had issues with large pieces of coroplast that fill the entire envelope - size doesnā€™t matter if someone jams a half of a q-tip inside of the coroplast and you have to dig it out with an x-acto knife

3 Likes

Lol! Yeah I just leave a little bit of the q tip hanging out

1 Like

a q-tip may start the journey hanging out but they get jammed inside of coroplast easily. coroplast is better than nothing, but has a tendency to be problematic in my experience.

3 Likes

I agree. Since I recently started using the coin flip method I wonā€™t go back to coroplast unless I run out of materials

4 Likes

Much easier to fill too! Some seeds I had barely fit in the coroplast, or I end up dropping the seed into the wrong slot. Coin flips all the way, way coroplast as back up materials.

3 Likes

Yeah screw that plastic coroplast, Iā€™ve received seeds in it two or three times. one was a JOTI order.

JOTI order the cotton fell out of one of the tubes while I was clearing the other one so two different seed batches got mixed together :angry:

Another order, one whole line of seeds was completely crushed, q-tip did zero.

Third one, 1 or 2 of the end seeds were a little mangled but overall everything seemed fine.

Still a pain to use and remove seeds out of, and yeah, can still be damaged in shipping. Coin flips + hose washer is definitely the way to go for regular envelopes. If bubble mailers or boxes I usually ship in vials.

3 Likes

If I am sending a bunch of different seeds, Iā€™ll still use the chloroplast. They are fairly reliable if you use a piece as large as the card and put q-tips in every slot.

2 Likes

So far Iā€™ve received broken seeds sent in coroplast, but all the ones Iā€™ve mailed out had a single layer of bubble wrap or packing foam tucked in the card paper.

4 Likes

Ive sent out hundreds of packs both ways, the coin flip/washer has been 100% so far. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

Yea I donā€™t do chloroplast because itā€™s busted my seeds in the past and got mixed on occasion. Coin flip is best or vials with bubble wrap

3 Likes

I just use everyday items and keep it simpleā€¦I usually put 10 seeds in each bottle cap, crumpled up toilet paper then enclose it with duct tapeā€¦never had any seeds crushedā€¦Iā€™m not gonna go outa my way just to buy special containers for shipping free seeds folks.

15 Likes

But will they ship regular mail? The beer bottle caps I can see, but the plastic ones are over 1/2ā€ tall and need to be sent as a package not letter mail.

3 Likes

This is how I ship themā€¦

2 Likes

Got these K2 cuttings from across the big pond UKā€¦:shushing_face:

Pink dots are the stemsā€¦

13 Likes