Vegetable Garden 2021

have been looking at SIP planters and rain gutter gardening might be productive in small spaces

Thing is if they are outside and subject to rain need to be able to dump them if too full or have some type of flood control like hempy buckets.

edit- links are searched results…others not me.

3 Likes

My new toy…I have a gas powered one too…I don’t want a cordless battery one because the longer you use it the less power you have… a corded one will always be at 100% power no matter how long you use it…3yr. warranty is also a plus…

I have a rain barrel and collect water for indoor plants and I have great water drainage in my garden patch, never floods.

3 Likes

heh…@ link in my reply shows who it was directed to. Not trying to side track your thread tho. :slight_smile:

@PhilCuisine am thinking about starting some tomato plants about now indoors for a head start tho. I have some seeds…Cherokee Purple, Romas, Black Krimm, Hillbilly, some yellow squash and pumpkin seeds. Been looking for sweet potatoes…not much locally.

3 Likes

Buy some sweet potatoes. Cut them in helf lengthwise put them in a shallow pot cover mainly with soil and water in and then wait and sweet potato slips will grow from the sweet potato they should root in the dirt as they grow but if they don’t you can just snap them off and root them in water then plant them into soil to root out and then plant outdoors about 2 weeks after your last frost date. I hope this helps :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m gonna try growing sweet & yukon gold potatoes in a container this year, I’ve never grown them before…I’m also gonna grow some artichokes too…this will also be the first year to harvest asparagus, I’ve had in the ground for 3 years…it is so cool to just go out to the garden pick some fresh vegetables when ever you want/need it…I actually still have my potted Carolina Reaper inside my front enclosed porch still producing peppers, had to hand pollinate because no bees around during winter…all the pictures on this post was pollinated by me even my VFT.

8 Likes

Pink brandywine and mortgage lifter tomatoes are my favorite heirloom non gmo varieties. 1lb + each and really meaty not all that jelly juice . 1 slice will cover your bread for a sammich.

5 Likes

Brandywine always let me down here this is going to be the first year I dont grow any brandywines. Usually I have 2 types. I think they must prefer certain conditions more than others

1 Like

Where are you getting your seed from? I get the majority of my seed from baker creek heirloom www.rareseeds.com

2 Likes

Most of my seeds come from bakercreek as you stated, but my brandywines came from tomato fest. He’s very established I grow about 20 varieties a year.

Use to also order from heritage harvest seeds and southern seed exposure. I like bakercreeks free shipping though. All my tomatoes this year came from baker creek. Really excited for sort roluise and evil olive

4 Likes

I haven’t tried his seeds. I’ve only used baker creek after moving. There used to be an older couple who grew a Huge garden and sold seedlings, I would purchase from then every year . They introunced me to pink brandywines and I was sold . All their seedlings were strong and grew well here. Not sure what kind of climate you are in. I’m in Oklahoma where just about everything going grows lol .

2 Likes

Forgot post these pictures of my seedling which are being sprouted at my girls house…these are for the vegetable garden for this year…some have started to sprout and it’s all under the care of my girlfriend because I have my hands are full with the recreationals in my house. This is her first time doing this and she’s doing a wonderful job…gonna have to get a shop light for it.

4 Likes

I need to get my garden seeds going also

1 Like

I planted some carrots :carrot: and got them in my Cannabis tent hahah (no backyard or pitcher windows)

2 Likes

Companion planting or separate pots lol

1 Like

Separate lol same soil and Nutrients tho

1 Like

I tried carrots once in a tote , they only got about a quarter inch long lol I may have had too many going too tho

1 Like

Did you grow baby carrots on purpose?

Nope lol definitely was not intentional, I just tossed them to the chickens and ducks

1 Like

I already have an asparagus patch but I’m gonna put these in with the rest, won’t be able to harvest them for 3 more yrs. but it’s ok with me…I can’t wait to get home on Friday and plant these in my 2021 CV-19 garden…btw, I got these at Walmart in a Windy City suburb…

1 Like

I’m way too busy with taking care of my recreationals so my girlfriend is taking care of the vegetable seedlings…we actually transferred them to bigger cups today…

3 Likes