Vegetable Garden 2021

Interesting thread guys! I don’t grow a massive garden. But I enjoy growing peppers in containers. In fact I have a plant in with my cannabis grow, waiting to be put out when the weather is right. She’s a Bell Pepper that I started from a cutting of my wife’s favorite pepper plant. I was learning to clone at the time and was cloning everything in sight! Kept her alive all winter and even got a few small peppers from her. She flowers a lot and is growing well.
Other than that I’m trying a few other Peppers. Mostly hot varieties. Jalapeno, Cayenne, Anaheim Chili, Poblano. There just easy and fun to mess with. I have them in my veg tent with my colloidal silver project. When the weather is right they will go outside.

1 Like

If they are flowering now you self pollinate the flowers and you’ll have peppers…that’s what I did with mine. I have Carolina Reapers in a pot in my unheated enclosed front porch.

Yeah I have been self pollinating my bell pepper clone from last year and producing peppers all winter. Off a frickin clone! Who woulda thunk it?
Peppers are cool to run for me because, well, I like spicy, a lot. Plus, it’s like cannabis. There are so many different strains, flavors, shapes and colors to choose from. And they are about as resilient as cannabis. You can do a lot of abuse before they give up and die!!

2 Likes

Wow, why havnt I done this??? Thanks guys. Gonna deffinetly be bringing some peppers in this winter.

I never thought of it either. But, as I was learning to clone I said why not? Worked like a charm. The cool thing about it is it is already in fruiting mode, so as soon as she roots, she’s ready to resume putting fruit on! Pretty cool way to continue harvesting all winter.

2 Likes

Carolina Reapers…Guinness Book World Record holder for the hottest peppers…no bees in/around your enclosed unheated front porch no problems, you can do the bees job by pollinating it yourself…

4 Likes

I currently have like 23 peppers going and 2 tomatoes.
Habanero is the oldest , then 2 cayenne a grand bell a cajun bell and jalapeno are all full veg.

5 reaper seedlings
3 red habanero
3 scorpion
4 ghost
2 honey

3 Likes

I am going to have to follow you a little bit closer. I have grew a garden for bout as long as I can remember. Your stuff looks great. I am running late this year, usually start everything I grow but I’ve got a cousin running a small start up greenhouse business and I helped order seed so I’m going to support him this year. I start a lot of stuff like mellon’s, cucumbers and such in the garden so all I’ll buy is my Tomatoes and peppers. I also can and preserve a lot of stuff and the pantry is about dry after my back going out last year. I kinda do that homesteading thing as much as I can and I’m sure you could teach me a few things. Love my organic dirt grown veggies. Here’s a little reminder I ran across earlier

1 Like

Not meaning your a beginner…lol, I thought it was something good to keep to remind myself of a couple things

I know about companion gardening you must’ve missed my chart on few post above…btw, my garden area real estate is too valuable to me to plant potatoes in ground so I’m growing my potatoes in containers using straw bromigo…

2 Likes

Btw, I found some false info you just posted bromigo…

There are many vegetables that make excellent companions for cucumbers . Peas, corn, and beans are legumes—a type of plant that has a root system that increases nitrogen in the soil. … This will benefit your cucumber plants, as well as many other garden plants.

2 Likes

I must have missed it. I did do a quick read. I have grew potatoes like that before with pretty good success. I kinda do a combo of the 2 but I do have plenty of room. I dig a pretty good trench and cover with straw then keep piling it on

You are right about legumes fixing nitrogen but not corn. That is why farmers here rotate between corn and soybeans. Soybeans fix the nitrogen in the ground to feed the corn the next year. Corn uses a lot of nitrogen

1 Like

I did do a search on this and just read 1 thing but it claimed exactly what you said but I have always been told that that was a he whole reason farmers rotate between the two. I am going to have to talk to one of my farming buddies and see what the deal is

1 Like

Your deffinetly accurate, corn is not a legume, a legume is always in a pod, crops such as beans, peas, clovers are nitrogen fixers and add nitrogen to the soil from mining the soil below and from the air and make the nutrients more available for heavier feeders such as maize (corn).

Corn is a good companion plant for cucumbers. Just for other reasons than nutrient availability

3 Likes

The very first google search I did said exactly what @PhilCuisine said but I knew corn don’t fix nitrogen. Here is what asking if corn fixed nitrogen gave me

Corn plants use large quantities of nitrogen to grow and yield. Corn removes 1 pound of nitrogen for every bushel of grain produced, so a 250 bushel per acre yield goal requires 250 pounds of nitrogen available to be used by your growing corn plants.

Corn & tomatoes don’t do well together btw…

2 Likes

Just tilled my garden but it needs to dry out a little bit more…I plan on planting my cool weather vegetables next week after I till it again…

I will also uncover my Fig trees next week too…I still have figs from last years harvest in my freezer. They’re like nature’s candy when you freeze them.

4 Likes

I am quite envious, much too cold still where I am, ground is mostly still frozen.

2 Likes

We planted 250 onions, 50 garlic and also some multi strain radishes already…hopefully I’ll be able to plant some snow peas today or tomorrow.

Cool weather veggies, didn’t plant them yet because of the rain storms that we’ve been having…

These are warm weather

4 Likes