Veteran's Corner

They’re every bit as draconian about weed still, but now they have much better technology to detect damn near anything. A buddy of mine came up hot for mescaline, but escaped punishment because he was a member of the Native American Church (he was a member of the Osage Tribe, IIRC).
While not the sole cause, the Army helped give me a major drinking problem. I’m an alcoholic in remission (I’ve been dry for years, and have no intentions of ever going back to it). Cannabis has been a big help. It alters my senses, making alcohol taste revolting. Besides, I only drank when I couldn’t have weed. I’ve back-slid a handful of times in the last decade, but it’s been years (plural) since I’ve had a drink. I live in an illegal state, but D8, HHC, THCO, etc. are readily available. They’ll have to do until it’s at least decriminalized here.

8 Likes

I’ve actually used all 3 mortar systems (60mm, 81mm, 120mm), with 4 of the 8 years I did working in FDC (Fire Direction Control, basically the nerve center of a mortar element; we’re the ones who turn map data into gun data and decide what rounds on what settings for different targets). FDC is also a backup command center, since we’re tracking everything going on within 7KM of it. Per SOP, if the TOC gets hit, the battalion commander uses his mortar FDC as the new TOC. We tracked all the friendlies in our sector, as well as enemy contact and had to fire on insurgents a number of times (once with WP). The battalion TOC never got hit, command would send someone to make sure we were tracking everyone, which we always were.
What’s funny is I joined the Infantry to escape my comfort zone by doing something physical, but ended up referencing books and crunching numbers. Everything about mortars is direction, distance and time, all numbers. I guess, wherever you go, there you are.

5 Likes

Wow! That’s an incredibly rich military history of honor and service you have to be very proud!!

I had 3 great uncles all.serve in US Army Infantry durring in WW II 2 and were in the 1st infantry and landed on Omaha Beach. The younger brother helped liberate the POW camps.

I had two 3rd Great Grandfather.serve in the Revolutionary War and a -2nd Great Grandfather’s served in the union Army. 17th Michigan Infantry Co. He served along side his brother who was KIA at the battles of wilderness. My G Great Grandfather continued on with the Battles of Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of Cold Harbor and Siege of Petersburg.

My parents and grand fathers were too old for war and had many children. But 3 out of 6 of us kids served. My brother a retired Navy “Seabee” never sailed a day in his life lol and a sister in the Army spec 71F

6 Likes

That’ sounds like a huge responsibility I know we joked about Gun bunnies back in the day. but I know that it takes a lot of smarts to hit the targets and minimize friendly fire in a hot zone! I was offered most of the rates. I thought about the SEALs and Subs for the hazard pay lol but it came down to Cryptologic Technician
Or cooking lol …I always wanted to be a Chef. Graduated from a decent CA program so WTH. lol

4 Likes

Cool. One of my cousins and I are the only ones in our generation to serve. I don’t think having NOT served is anything to be ashamed of, like some are. The fact that they don’t have to serve is proof that our all-volunteer system is working, at least in that regard.

4 Likes

Hey there Veterans. There will be a Veterans giveaway starting in a week or so, keep and eye on the thread below and I will post when it goes live. We are just collecting the donations now so a sign up will be going up in the next week or two. This will be closed to those not already a member of OG to avoid the joining of sock accounts trying to scam the giveaway. That said if you are a member now you will be welcome regardless of your trust level.

12 Likes

Thanks Doug!! I was just going to.ask if it was OK to post your link here!

4 Likes

Absolutely bud, what better place. The donation list is pretty substantial so this should be a great event like last years. Good medicine fixing to go out to good people.

7 Likes

Our FOs (Forward Observers) are an artillery MOS, but are often OPCON to infantry and cavalry/armor. We joked with each other all the time. The fact that FOs are referred to as FISTERS (FIreSupportTeam, FIST) lent itself well to some vulgar proctology jokes, as you can imagine. Being the FDC chief, I worked extensively with them. The FSO (Fire Support Officer, the commander of the FISTERS) and I were on a first-name basis (at least when no one else was around). I was stationed at Ft. Benning, where the Sniper School is located, and I tried to get a slot. Unfortunately, I’d already had such extensive training in mortars. I’m a graduate of IMLC (Infantry Mortar Leaders Course), which is everything involved in every mortar system, including logistics all condensed into about 6 weeks. That meant the Army felt they had already trained me enough in that weapons system, and that specialized training in any other weapon system would be a waste of Army resources, or some other such reason.

7 Likes

I was stationed in Korea, at Camp Casey. In fact, it was my first duty station. I picked Korea because it was as far away from Arkansas as I could get. Don’t get me wrong, Arkansas was a great place to grow up, but every time I go, I remember why I left.

4 Likes

And a great giveaway. It is very generous of you. You already give so much of your time to the community. As a Vet, I know we all appreciate the recognition and the giveaway is a huge bonus. And yes good medicine. Some of the best IMO. It Has helped many Veterans without endangering their health further with toxic and addictive chemicals. Thanks again my dude!

5 Likes

Hahaha! I used to tease my Hospital Corpsmen buddy called him a Pecker Checker lol I think that’s military universal for Medic?

I was lucky to have Boot in San Diego were my A School was also. Being from Michigan I missed out on Great Mistakes er I mean Great Lakes NRTC
First station was Longbeach CA a reserve ship we carried reserve Navy and Marines along with Tanks and armored vehicles the 2nd was out of Norfolk VA

I thought about switching up and going Army after my first enlistment was up, the port calls were a blast though, long time in between not seeing women lol.the only problem was I would have lost rank I was up for PO2 and had Reserve duty left to do. Then found decent work.before I knew it I met my wife and had a kid on the way and I moved on.

4 Likes

I guess I just barely scooted in as the door was closing, I hope. That’s such a cool thing for you guys to do Doug. Many thanks to everyone donating time and genetics to make this happen. Maybe next year I’ll be in a better position and I’ll be glad to donate. I’m hoping to self one of the Purest Indica plants I have if I get a girl and pollinating a few branches. It will be my first time trying it so I’m sure I’ll be here on the board looking for guidance.

3 Likes

I’m sure you never drank too much Soujiu and ended up on that famous hill with all the juicy bars🤣. Nobody stationed at Camp Humphreys had a good time. Always on lockdown because of the damn North. A bunch of my buddies ended up going into 1/2 Cav in Korea when they got Longbow Apaches to replace their older Alpha models. Ft Hood had the largest pool of trained Longbow crew chiefs so they literally took over half my battalion to form that unit up. We all just waited nervously for that damn postcard with orders. I got lucky and stayed state side with my family.

4 Likes

I was with the 1/227th aviation at Ft Hood and we share the hangar with 1/7 Cav. They were the Kiowa guys and we were the Apache side. I’ve seen up close and personal what a 30 mm round does and it’s not something I’d want to see again. Here’s a pic of one of our 30mm rounds next to a water bottle. I got this on range duty cleaning up after a gunnery exercise. It’s always fun to find unexploded ordinance… not. God bless the EOD nutjobs that used to blow that stuff up in place, it was fun to watch.
We lost several birds in Iraq over the multiple campaigns. They’re tough but everything has a weakness and doing close combat support for the infantry means they have to get low and slow which is where things get bad.

4 Likes

Dude, the shit we did in Korea was insane. The color of the CP changed weekly. I’m sure it was the same for you.

4 Likes

Ten characters

4 Likes

Congratulate on your sobriety brother!! I know that is not easy. Good for you!!
CBD D8 and other Cannabinoids are all great meds. It is long past due to yank Marijuana off the schedule of illicit drugs.

I had major problem with alcohol. mostly self medicating too. I have high functioning Autistism " diagnosed with Aspergers in my 30’s It never affected my proformence scores in the service but I had some issues and I know weed had help before I joined and alcohol to an extent but that also made me do some stupid shit and the hangovers were really bad and made it near impossible to function.

After I got out I was lucky enough to meet my then future wife and a reason to stop drinking. Sill dealt with social anxiety and It took a while to reconnect to cannabis But now I know how much I missed her great healing properties! I’m sill awkward but I try lol

I’m hoping the VA will finally recognize this and do more to give access to amazing plant also lsd and mushrooms. We’ll see.

Yeah, that’s pretty sad. I remember some of my buddies dropping acid because of it not staying in the body’s system. It’s interesting to hear that they exempted yours on religious grounds. But I’m glad to hear it.

3 Likes

I was in Navy ROTC in college and upon graduation, I was accepted to the Naval Reactors program and spent my entire active duty time stationed at the Washington Navy Yard working on the design, refueling, maintenance, etc. of the nuclear reactors on Los Angeles- and Ohio-class submarines.

Also, for any vets not yet aware of this, check out this thread as it offers free seeds, once a year, to vets (when the sign ups are open).

5 Likes

I’m still eagerly awaiting the day I can grow my own medicine, without having to fear the possible kick to the door at 3AM. The VA has fought each and every possible change to their cannabis policies, and it sucks. The state I live in (Georgia) isn’t very helpful, either. They don’t make a distinction between a guy growing a few pot plants and Pablo fucking Escobar. That won’t last forever, though. After 2025, people are going to be wondering why it was ever illegal in the first place.

4 Likes