Want new lights

Guess my only other question would be how is the penetration compared to the HLG’s at the same height/wattage? Lowers still larfy or improved?

2 Likes

The big question would be does it make that big a difference in someone’s personal grow as opposed to a large commercial room. I found both delivered much the same in my small grow. Spacing of the LED’s in bar lights is not necessarily further apart in each bar, just spaces between the bars like HLG did when they made the Diablos.

1 Like

I found the lowers great. When you look at my Sour Bubble run one plant was tiny comparted to the rest but gave me nice dense lower buds. Take a look at this pic.

The little purple pheno is way lower than the bigger plant behind it but not one larfy bud on it.

5 Likes

“a difference” that is for you to decide.

Heat, coverage, longevity, ease of use does play a major factor.

• Let’s throw monthly lighting cost out the window.

• Let’s throw longevity and warranty out the window.

Can we throw heat generation out the window? This is intrinsically tied to efficacy. It is tied to shaping the environment in micro-growing setups. Although, I can not ignore heat, I can for the sake of this rabbit hole.

Not all LEDs are the same. You have “fakes” that emit light, and you have technology that shapes the light, patented by a single company, combined with extreme tight groupings results in less current travel, with the very technology to offset the limitations of “traditional” LEDs.

Although, there are spaces between the board on a Diablo, you are getting a mathematical calculated light scatter so profound, there is a patent for the technology. We should all know exactly what we are using and why. I highly recommend looking over the two articles I’ve posted.

Your MarsHydro can be placed closes to the tops due to non-angular LEDs, observable by the odd spacing on the board. This in a way allowed you to circumvent your height restriction, as this your solution. Angular lighting will create hot spots when deviating from what was provided in true quantum boards vs Alibaba rehashes using surplus, so to speak.

A stop-gap measure, as is “bar style” lighting, to avoid paying patent royalties at the production expense of the end user, untill the manufacturer has siphoned enough revenue to create a better or less deceiving product, while using out of production and copied designs. There is a lot of marketing push for Samsung diodes, but which one? 2019 pre-pandemic? Or what is being manufactured today? We talk about upgrading, but are we really downgrading?

To answer your question, no, it does impacts personal growing in a major way, if you ignore all the variables I’ve listed, including heat which is the byproduct of efficiency and design. Form follows function, and we should ask ourselves “Why the fixture looks like it does and how that is accomplished at that price point?”.

To all that are new to buying electronic toys, it’s what’s on the insides that count. We shouldn’t need a master class to know the differences in designs.

In conclusion:

It’s a light. How you use it is determined by its specifications. Its specifications are its limitations. Why are there limitations? Manufacturing compromises with a mix of clever marketing.

My favorite Ferrari is the F-40

2 Likes

Have you personally run the lights? I have and can tell you the HLG produced as much heat as the Mars. So what do you figure the difference in monthly lighting costs are between a FC 6500 and an HLG 600 Rspec? I can tell you after running both there really was no big difference. The FC 6500 is listed as 2.85 μmol/j and the 600 Rspec is listed as 2.60 μmol/joule. What do you feel that difference does to the end grower?

As for the Ferrari, problem is that most will never ever be able to use that car to it’s potential so while I like it too, it’s certainly not necessary to get to work efficiently.

4 Likes

I believe your environment condones it. Some of us are unfortunate to run in tighter environments where the minimum temperature is 77 degrees Fahrenheit.

My point in mentioning MarsHydro and your ability to use it to finish your grow was linked to lense angling.

The F-40 is simple. It was the last car designed by Enzo Ferrari before he passed away:

Edit: More variables to consider

3 Likes

Anything higher than 78 degrees with hlg rspecs gives me a ton of foxtails. Idk where this bioscience of needing to run leds hotter than hids is coming from. Same exact cuts run with temps max of 75 F, solid pine cones.

6 Likes

Enzo approved the design, I believe, but wasn’t it “designed” by Nicola Materazzi (engine/power train) and Pietro Camardella (body)?

The simple but extraordinary performance car sold at a premium as anticipation of Ferrari’s death drove speculation.

1 Like

Correct. He approved it. Thank you for looking deeper. My mistake was intentional.

1 Like

For correction HGL is not HLG there two separate companies, the former “HGL” Hydro grow aka LEDGirl on other forums used lenses at one poitn at that what those patents pertain too but lets not go down that rabbit hole.

HLG = horticulture lighting group and as far as i remember they dont run lenses, and the distance relation is more to due with light intensity on say a dense panel vs going distributed with light bars

4 Likes

I’ve been using a vivosun vs4300-

VIVOSUN Patented Design VS4300 LED Grow Light Foldable Dimmable Plant Grow Light with Samsung & OSRAM Diodes and 5 Dimming Option - Full Spectrum Light for Indoor Plants https://a.co/d/2jOlAJ8

It comes with a cable, so you can remotely mount the driver.

It’s a nice light, and I see the price has come down…

1 Like

Correct. Look at the previous edits. I don’t want to be the sole driver here. I truly do want to sit back and eat my lunch. Thank you everyone.

Edit: I’m out of likes. For the post below.

Its not the second patent sited is in relation to HGL which isn’t HLG , and multi angles lenses on the diode substrates were initially used in order to get past certain tech hurtles and adjust beam angles, though i could be wrong typically they are only used on higher wattage leds today.

Your base lm561, lm301, lm281 or whatevers i don’t believe run them, the LH351 series used them which i guess came out back in 2017 ish but those were more highpower leds 3w,5w,10w and only in the 160lm/w range and 180ish today when the lower wattage 0.3w or so chips are pushing the 200-230 range and are cheaper to make, thus the prevalence of them.

Semantics and rabbit holes .

4 Likes

and to OP plenty of good options out ther whether marshydro,hlg, spyderfarmer, growerschoice ect ect, check out some of shanes “migro” reviews on youtube an then take a look around you’ll find something available and that will work for you

4 Likes

I thinks that’s what’s important, finding what works for you. When I purchased my HLG I did tons of research on all the differences in LED’s, spread and efficiency. Then you see folks growing in a cupboard with LED bulbs from a hardware store that have the covers removed, lol. Now they are not near as efficient as my HLG was but they were still growing fire with very minimal gear or money spent. I reccomend Mars and HLG as they have performed well for me but in the end I am an advocate of anything that works well. With so much data on different aspects of lighting folks can and do get lost in a sea of data seemingly losing sight of the initial goal of finding something in their budget that will get the job done well. In the end it’s good to remember that there are many trails leading to the same watering hole.

4 Likes

I really like my grow light science. Best way to describe them is they are workhorses. Not a sexy light but gets the job done. I jave 2x gls 200s and 4x gls 300s. I will probably be ordering the the 640 here before the summer sale ends. what i love is the 120 day satisfaction guarantee. Dont like the light you can send it back.

Take this with a grain of salt. I am a rep for them and have been paid with free lights. If you have any questions i can get you the CEOs email. Kevin is a great dude. Always happy to help.

4 Likes

I don’t need new lights, but I’ve been liking what I see in the Photontek X600W as a potential replacement in my 5x5. Not the cheapest light around, but is consistently getting good reviews for power & efficiency in its class.

3 Likes

I purchased scynce raging kush 2 will flower 5x5 has spectrum tuning that you set up on phone ,I pad ….I was debating between Chilled and the Scynce. I’ve used in one run only con I have so far is that it is huge 4x4 shipped on a pallet. Love it so far but was spendy

3 Likes

I went GLS 640’s

Could not be happier

3 Likes

I personally run 2 growers choice roi e 720s for flower (tent is 4x8) and I really love them paired with the master controller. Only had 1 hiccup and growers choice was quick to send a replacement even on the week of Christmas they answered and helped me out! Took a week to get the replacement but I only had 1 bar of 8 out on my light. Now in veg I run my 2 old marshydro ts3000 that used to be in the flower tent. I really don’t like these lights as the edge to edge is horrible ot falls off so quick. I have 2 ts3000 in my veg tent 5x5 and still light falls off 1x1 almost all the way around except the back of the tent. Ive tried moving them around to get better coverage but im limited with how I can put them as I have the house style vivosun tents and can only really mount them in the center. Im thinking im going to upgrade my marshydros in favor for another growers choice 720 since I already have the controller. I also have a hlg 65 for my clone tent and it’s amazing for a 2x2 doing propagation