Washing Your Harvest?

If your flowers have PM or mold, I don’t think washing it is gonna do you any good. Honestly, it seems like washing it might actually exacerbate the problem, especially if it’s mold. I’d just trash that weed.

I washed one harvest when I got a serious aphid infestation and didn’t know what I was looking at until my plants were just COVERED in them haha. It was the first time it’d ever happened to me, so…

Anyway, I did the three-bucket thing, the first five-gallon bucket with the lemon juice and baking soda mixture and the next two filled with plain water (I think I used distilled water for all three buckets, actually). I broke the plants down into pieces and used a dinner plate to hold them under the water for ten minutes in the first bucket and then rinsed in the second and third (yeah, that took me like fifteen hours haha). There were a TON of aphids floating in the water.

About a month later, I took a closeup picture of one of the Mexican Melon nugs I grew that round, after drying and curing, and there were still a shitload of dead aphids on the flower. You could see them everywhere (that picture’s actually posted here on OG, if you wanna find it).

So while I guess it did get rid of a lot of aphids, it didn’t get rid of them all. For something like hair or dust, washing probably works well, but it didn’t seem to do a whole helluva lot for bugs. I mean, what’s the difference between smoking thirty aphids or sixty, really? Haha…

4 Likes

You bet! If everything runs perfect you will still have 4-5 months of dust on the plants. Inside is a fairly fast one dunk , one rinse process. Outdoor, that’s a two dunk and one rinse process. Neither process has any effect on the buds, trichs, or potency.
One of the nice things about growing for yourself is you have control over what you smoke. I don’t eat my organic produce without washing it first either. :slight_smile: It’s your call as it’s your grow. Try it and see for yourself. I didn’t always wash my bud but once I tried it, it became the new method. Not goin back either, lol :slight_smile:

In a 18 gallon rubbermaid tote…which will hold about 16 gallons water, I use 1 qt Hydrogen peroxide.

4 Likes

I had a bit of a spider mite problem this past round so i did a bud wash at harvest with Dr Zymes. Swished the buds around in a flat dish at 2ozs/per gallon of warmish neutral ph filtered water. Then let them hang dry for about an hour, and followed up with a plain filtered water rinse. Hope it helps.

1 Like

I always wash outdoor just to try to mitigate any dirt/dust/hair etc. I think @minitiger is right, if you’ve got a bug infestation the wash will likely help, but it’s not gonna clean things 100% I actually just cut down my outdoor over the weekend and gave things a wash in Dr. zymes for the first time because I had some botrytis issues. Otherwise I’m in the lemon juice/baking soda/h2O2 train. Definitely helps, but not a cure all by any means.

4 Likes

Thank you for the sharing your experiences. Much appreciated.

So I decided to roll the dice this year and go for the bud wash. The bud wash is now complete and the buds have been drying for about 40 hrs. I have some doubts for sure, but I’m going to wait til after the cure is complete and evaluate the final product before i say if im a bud washer going forward.

This year I grew four plants in coco inside a 4x4x8 tent with GeneralHydropics nutes. Everything went well, not bugs, no mold or mildew, yet Im willing to give the bud wash process a go to remove unwanted debris like dust and hairs, etc…

The strains this year are Tangie1, purpZkittles, Tangie2, and ballnout. Tangie one and two, are the same strain and not some sort of variation. I just labeled that way for discussion. All four plants were switched to the 12on/12off light schedule at the same time in the same tent, and under the same conditions, but Tangie1 and purpZkittles matured faster, displaying about 15 percent amber tricombs where the other two Tangie2 and ballnout had none. No big deal, I still harvested and washed all four plants at the same time, and look forward to the pepsi between the two Tangies down the road.

Prior to the bud wash, I stopped providing water to two of the four plants (tangie1 and purpzkittles), and also wet trimmed those same two plants more aggressively. The other two plants (tangie2 and ballnout) each got a gallon of water a piece and a light wet trim prior to harvest and wash. Meaning i left all the sugar leaves and just knocked off any big leaves with easy to access for cutting stems. One other thing to note, i found using an exacto-knife to be quick and accurate for doing the wet trim. FYI.

Then I cut down the plants into manageable v shaped stem configurations prior to the wash. The wash consisted of two buckets of filtered and ph 6.5 water. The bud wash was really more of just a rinse wash where each bud sat for about 1 min in each bucket.

After dunking all the buds in the second bucket, I removed the buds and gave a light shake to remove excess water, then headed over to my fan to dry more. I rotated the buds in front of the fan til i was satisfied there was no visible drops of water. Kind of like when you dry your hands in a public restroom.

Then I did what you might consider a truly unforgiveable sin. With a single chopstick, I carefully levered each of the buds ever so gently away from the connected stems to help improve the airflow in those inbetween crevices. Even going so far as to gently lever the bigger colas apart, just enough to allow air to flow in. Once i finished violating my buds, i hung them on fishing line back in the tent. Please say a prayer for me.

Take aways so far, after the bud wash the buds are clean and hydrated. Im hoping for a slow even dry as a result. That being said, this means that taking the time to dry out two of my four plants prior to harvest by denying them water was probably an unnecessary step. And the second note is that there was little debris left in the water after the bud wash to convince me that it was necessary. To be honest, there wasn’t a lot of visible debris or hairs on the buds prior to the wash, but its worth mentioning.

Now the buds have been hanging via fishing line in my grow tent. For the first 12 hours i left my lights on at 50% then lights off for following 36 hrs. Lights will be out for the remaining time it takes to dry.

People have mentioned one of the risks to bud washing is that the plant matter can turn a little bit brown in color. I knew that before doing the wash and a little brown is not ideal, but its not the end of the world to me either. Infact, two plants buds and foliage (tangie1 and purpzkittles) turned a little more brown in color then the other two plants (tangie2 and ballnout). But after closer inspection, the tricombs had the biggest color changes. Tangie1 and purpzkittles tricombs turned from milky and 15 to 20 percent amber color to a dark brown with a few amber tricombs. Tangie2 and ballnout tricombs were mostly milky and some clear, turned to a light brown or dark amber color. I’m unsure if it’s just an ascetic thing or what, but I was not expecting to see that. I some pics to post in the near future.
Please excuse my grammar and spelling. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cheers on the harvest and the wash! A couple things relative to my budwashing experience as they differ from your methods: I pretty much save the budwashing for outdoor grown herb. Like you mentioned, I almost never see a large volume of debris from my indoor efforts as long as I’ve been diligent about cleaning. Second point, I never wet trim anymore. The extra fan leaves and whatnot help contribute to a slower dry, which becomes even more important after the buds are wet VIA the wash. I know that the immediate concern is the get all the moisture off of them after they’ve been washed, but as long as the environment they’re in is right they’ll dry just the same. Last point being that I try never to expose the buds to direct airflow from a fan, I try to keep the ambient air around them moving without having the air blowing on them directly, I.e. a fan below them or blowing just off to the side to avoid stagnant air around the drying buds. It sounds like you just had yours in front of the fan for a minute there so I’m sure there’s no harm done or anything, but I bring it up just to assure you that the buds can dry without I’ll effects after the wash without the blow dryer treatment. None of this is to say that anything you did was wrong necessarily, just sharing my experiences. Hope you’re happy with the end result overall :heart::v:t2:

3 Likes

Thanks for the response, Mahoney. Is the name Mahoney from those police academy movies? :slight_smile:

I agree with you on your point about skipping the wet-trim to maintain a slower bud dry. My buds without the wet-trim maintained color, and scent better after drying and into the curing process. I know there are so many other factors that go into how the buds are going to look and smell and if I were too wet-trim and choose the optimal approach to drying the buds the quality of outcome could be the same. But I think it makes sense for me to dry buds, dry-trim, then cure.

As for fan usage, we are on the same page. No fan was blowing air directly on any of the buds during the dry or cure process. I used a fan to blow air directly at the buds just after the final rinse in the last step of the wash process. My thinking was to essentially towel off all the excess liquid from the buds prior to hanging up back in the grow tent to dry. The grow tent has an intake and exhaust fan setup, but it’s kept on low to gently move some air about.

For the cure process my plan was to test out half the crop in grove bags and the other half in mason jars. I was going to put the grove bags in different RH environments and see how the grove bags react. I’m curious to see if a higher RH impacts the grove bags and if they can maintain an RH lower than the room they are in. Unfortunately, I don’t think I achieved the proper dry levels for the buds. The hydrometers are above 70RH so im currently letting all the mason jars and grove bags breath for a bit. One advantage to using mason jars vs grove bags is that it’s easier to let the buds breath. The grove bags are like zip lock bags and don’t stay open as easy or as wide as the mouth of a mason jar. Not a big deal, but it’s worth noting.

One thing that everyone should know that this bonehead finally figured out, the bottom of the grove bags open up wider. The grove bags were shipped so compressed this wasn’t immediately apparent to me, so i would open the top and the bottom of the bag would look more like one side of an envelope. Once you the bottom of the grove bag it expands allowing you to put more buds in the bag comfortably.
Once you seal the top of the grove bag it will resemble a capri-sun if you know what i mean. I know it’s a bonehead move, but maybe there is one more bonehead out there that will enjoy this hot tip.

5 Likes

It sounds like you’ve got a good scientific method going on for dialing in your process my friend, I’m interested to see where you’ll net out with everything. Thanks for spurring the conversation on this topic :v:t2::heart:

Edit: the Mahoney surname just came to me when trying to think of a name for the forums. I was going with what Duke Diamond said about his moniker “something that’s, like, the exact opposite of who I am” I thought it sounded like some Irish gangster, but I’m more than happy with any police academy association :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious about your screen name. You have to read it in the voice of those old 40’s gangster movie voices, all fast and with an added “h” in the word “see.”

“Thisiswhatit’sgonnabe, sheee? I’m Legs Mahoney, sheee? Thisistheplan, sheee?”

4 Likes

I always wash my outdoor and selectively wash my indoor as needed. One bucket room temp h202 mixture dip 20-30 secs, second bucket h2o quick dip x2 or x3. Hang and drip dry.

The h202 definitely seems to help neutralize any pm or bud molds that may be present. Obviously any severely effected buds get tossed. But if a few leaves have pm, I’m not tossing the whole plant. Likewise if a few buds of my outdoor, get mold growth, I cut out the effected one’s but keep the rest. When I rinse it, the pm or bud mold never shows up again afterwards, so for me it seems effective and worthwhile.

4 Likes

https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/cjb-2022-0139

Understanding bud rot development, caused by Botrytis cinerea, on cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.) plants grown
under greenhouse conditions
Mohannad Mahmouda, Ines BenRejeba, Zamir K. Punja b, Liam Buirsb, and Suha Jabajia
aPlant Science Department, MacDonald Campus of McGill University, QC, Canada; bDepartment of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Corresponding author: Z.K. Punja (email: punja@sfu.ca)
Abstract
Botrytis cinerea is a widespread necrotrophic plant pathogen that causes diseases on >1000 plant species, including vegeta- bles and ornamental greenhouse crops. On cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.), the pathogen is responsible for causing “bud rot”, a major disease affecting the inflorescences (compound flowers), as well as seedling damping-off and leaf blight under certain conditions. During greenhouse cultivation, Botrytis cinerea can destroy cannabis inflorescences rapidly under optimal relative humidity conditions (>70%) and moderate temperatures (17–24 ◦C). Little is currently known about the host–pathogen in- teractions of Botrytis cinerea on cannabis. Information gleaned from other hosts can provide valuable insights for comparative purposes to understand disease development, epidemiology, and pathogenicity of Botrytis cinerea on cannabis crops. This review describes the pathogenesis and host responses to Botrytis infection and assesses potential mechanisms involved in disease re- sistance. The effects of microclimatic and other environmental conditions on disease development, strategies for early disease detection using prediction models, and the application of biological control agents that can prevent Botrytis cinerea develop- ment on cannabis are discussed. Other potential disease management approaches to reduce the impact of Botrytis bud rot are also reviewed. Numerous opportunities for conducting additional research to better understand the cannabis–Botrytis cinerea interaction are identified.
Key words: cannabis, epidemiology, molecular detection, disease prediction, biological control, integrated disease manage- ment

5 Likes

You just get me dude :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Dirt_Wizard, thank you for that link to the bud rot article. Super informative. I read thru it and was unsure about some of the wordage, so i ran it thru bing for a summary. Its no preplacement for that super informative article, but a nice appetizer prior to digesting the cdnsciencepub article.

Check this out…

• The pdf is a review article about the biology, epidemiology, and management of Botrytis cinerea, a fungal pathogen that causes gray mold on cannabis and other crops.
  • Botrytis cinerea can infect cannabis plants at different stages, causing damping-off, leaf blight, and bud rot. Bud rot is the most destructive disease, affecting the inflorescences that produce cannabinoids and terpenes.
  • The susceptibility of cannabis genotypes to Botrytis cinerea depends on the size, density, and structure of the inflorescences, as well as the number of inflorescence leaves that create a humid microclimate.
  • Botrytis cinerea infection is influenced by environmental factors such as temperature, relative humidity, wetness duration, vapor pressure deficit, and plant canopy and density. Optimal conditions for the pathogen are 17–24 °C (62.6–75.2 °F), >70% RH, and >12 h WD.
  • Botrytis cinerea can be detected and quantified by various methods, such as microscopy, culture, serology, molecular techniques, and biosensors. These methods can help to monitor the pathogen inoculum and disease risk in the greenhouse.
  • Botrytis cinerea can be managed by cultural, biological, and chemical methods. Cultural methods include sanitation, ventilation, pruning, and irrigation management. Biological methods include the use of antagonistic microorganisms, such as bacteria, fungi, and yeasts, that can inhibit or reduce the pathogen growth and infection. Chemical methods include the use of fungicides, such as boscalid, pyraclostrobin, and fludioxonil, that can prevent or control the disease. However, fungicide resistance and residue issues are major challenges for chemical control.
  • Botrytis cinerea can also be controlled by plant resistance, induced by genetic, hormonal, or environmental factors. However, the mechanisms of resistance are not well understood and no resistant cannabis genotypes have been identified yet.
  • Future research directions include developing a prediction model for Botrytis cinerea development on cannabis, identifying resistance genes and markers, exploring the role of cannabinoids and terpenes in plant defense, and evaluating the effect of postharvest treatments on disease development and product quality.
4 Likes

i wash all my harvest, indoors and out.
you’ll be amazed at all the crap that comes off your flowers. eww. you don’t wanna smoke that stuff.
indoors the fans blow dust around just like the wind outside. you’ll see it come out in the wash and rinse. nasty.

people worry that they’re going to remove trichomes in the wash… well as long as you’re not whipping the branches around in the water like you’re whisking morning breakfast eggs, you’re not going to break and remove trichomes. swirl them around gentle with the intent of not breaking any and you won’t. some people dunk and dip. whatever works for you. just be gentle.

i haven’t ever used lemon juice or baking soda though. seems viable but would be curious about baking soda ratio/amount used.
i have used highly diluted hydrogen peroxide mixed into the wash bucket water (was in one of jorge cervantes videos).

i use a 3 bucket system. 1st bucket is wash - they soak in that for a bit.
bucket 2 is rinse - time for a 5 clockwise swirl.
bucket 3 is final rinse - last good swirl. 5 counterclockwise
then i hang to dry with a fan blowing on them for about an hour to get all the excess moisture out of the flowers. then just hang and let them dry in your normal routine/space.

give it a shot. got nothing to lose. you’ll be happy you did when you see all the crap that comes out.
or try washing some and leaving some. compare flavor/potency.

good luck.

3 Likes

Baking soda then Hydrogen peroxide/ lemon juice then two dips in water. Lots of shit I’m happy to see removed came off including some oily greasy shit. Happy to have removed. Fan on for a few hours, then normal two weeks drying out of sunlight. This plant was a runt that I stuck out at two inches in Feb/March. This is how it ended up.

7 Likes

I would have never considered bud washing before but I got a few red spidermites on 2 meph forum stompers that I tried to grow outside. I assumed the wash would knock down the smell and visual appeal but I was pleasantly surprised. Not bad on both counts after a couple months cure.

9 Likes

Think I’ll skip putting the fan on for a few hours next time. I did a side by side comparison and the bud that didn’t have the fan on came out smelling better and less tarnished.

2 Likes

I know this an old post but haven’t found the dilution for lemon juice and baking soda. @Pigeonman what are your measurements for lemon juice/baking soda bucket and the perioxide bucket. Thanks man. I’m half way through the thread but started reading a year ago lol don’t feel like rereading and not funding it.:joy:

3 Likes

This is what I use…

water and peroxide : 1 and a 1/2 cup peroxide per 5 gallon water
baking soda and lemon juice : 1/2 cup each per 5 gallon water

For my outdoors stuff I often wash it twice in separate buckets of baking soda/lemon juice. I rinse way more then most others do. Comes out nice and clean. It is surprising the amount of shit that comes off of outdoor plants.

3 Likes

@420noob

H202 bucket if needed: 1gal 3% H202 + 3 gallon water
Lemon / Soda: 1 cup baking soda + 4 gallons water; when about to wash I then add 1 cup lemon juice stir and go!

:metal:

1 Like