Welcome to the Jungle

I haven’t seen anything like this. The closest would be a 5 gal grow bucket with CFLs. and that’s not close at all.

I’m pretty sure you are breaking new ground here Brother. :+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Effin’ cool!!! From drawing to finished project!! Now load it up with plants and pull the trigger!!!

3 Likes

Trying to make the end product of all my jacking around :
-Simple plug and play system for growing Meds.

• soil, hydro, DWC comparable
  • avoid running out of meds before another plant cycle ends.
  • 4-3.5’plants topped and SCROG’d to the mesh insert with Orchid clips
  • 2/3 way up at flower (top 1/3 should fil with stretch.
  • will have funnels for top watering, or auto system
  • Hepa filter for cool air intake over slab floor.
  • clone to stoned in 14 weeks?

Need to figure out funnel and drain system, will use flex duct for easy T into my main blown roof vent.

Anyone build low profile center heat sink 3’ LED for 12” distance and 360 degree even coverage for cheap?

4 Likes

Heatsinks. Last year I could have cut, machined and shipped you whatever you needed. Now that I’m retired - I miss my proto shop… :cry:

Do you have a ‘Metal Supermarket’ locally?
(Mind you the last time I checked, their prices made me choke). You can usually find something that will work with min. machining.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

I’m thinking an alum. Tubular trans cooler. With ends cut off.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/60363/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwrvv3BRAJEiwAhwOdM4m_WdiE4KrXTrEtI3WeHr9oOX6slpwL0EPaOQd5AIeztuRLKiWD5RoCpzwQAvD_BwE# With 3-4 cheap LED strips in a chiller tub.

1 Like

I was thinking aluminum too. But more along the lines of a flat bottom extrusion profile.

If you are venting the air out of the tube at the top you won’t need much in the way of passive radiators. So you can get by with the cheaper architectural profiles maybe a “L” or “U” channel. More for mechanical support really.
(thermal management design of power electronics is what I did)

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Your the man was also thinking that and I can get extruded aluminum at Home Depot to make the frame. I’m fly by the seat of my pants. I’m glad to have any technical input you could offer, I think that link will answer question I had for light distance and cooling tubes which I have plenty of. May finish second unit and run HPS at 25-50% on digital ballast against it. Need 8 clones that like to SCROG!!

Just an idea, I would go with active cooling and EB gen2 (or similar) strips. Get a piece of ducting, mount the LEDs to that and have a fan pull the heat out through the ducting.

4 Likes

Those are the same lines as I was thinking along too.
EB gen 2 or 3 mounted to a RA Aluminum extrusion mounted vertically inside a vented cool tube enclosure. Enough air going through to keep the top below 50C. The right angle extrusion gives you your mounting points top and bottom. Yeah, this will work.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Thanks @ReikoX for jumping in, this is open architecture project, fab, carpentry, plumbing are my gig, can wire a house but beyond that I’m schematic illiterate. Simple drawings work better, I think I’m getting it. Gonna take a stroll through the shop in a few for a pump and heat sink. Have good push and pull air flow but if needed we could but a Computer or personal fan on light for active cooling.

1 Like

Here is an excellent thread on vertical growing with LED. He is using a different approach than you in setting up his array, but the training and pruning examples are worth their weight in gold. Check it out.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368036

4 Likes

what a great grow :slight_smile: thanks for the link

peace and be well

Dequilo

2 Likes

More binge reading for this weekend thanks @ReikoX
Found some round and square stock in aluminum, I know I have some .125 1x1 angle alum around here somewhere. Anyone have any specs on some cheap strips? What type ballast/controller?

Finished one up and put 4 clones in it with my weather station receiver on top of one of the pots to monitor from the lazy-boy.

2 Likes

I was looking at Bridgelux BXEB-L1190U-50E3000-C-C3 at Digikey,
700mA, 38.2V, 26.8W, 200 lm/W. running $14.81USD ea.
https://www.bridgelux.com/sites/default/files/resource_media/DS171%20Bridgelux%20EB%20Series%20Slim%20Gen3%20Data%20Sheet%2020190620%20Rev%20A.PDF

So that’s 0.5" x 47"
the ‘almost 2 footers’ might be better. and I was going for 5,000K for veg.

Drivers are easy to pick. and @Mr.Sparkle is the best technical guy I know of.
I’ll bet he will have good input on this project! :+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

Well I do have spacebucket experience, but also not one to say much when people are having fun building…

I’ll share in my experience with bucket growing and things that worked for me.

Side lighting for me was a waste for the most part and really only the top 1/3rd is where having light was best for me as once plants grew into the light they blocked anything behind them, even though your thinking center column light for growing you would probably only want top 2/3rds, and strips would be good for that.

Fan wise exhaust was only needed for me, I did side intakes that swirled the air coming in, and that work really well.

Pot size I over estimated, and likewise say your 4
1 gal pots, with automated watering I bet only one would be needed, but 2 or three will speed things up for sure.

So big issue I had with bucket growing was when pruning was needed it has hard to access what was needed so consider how your gonna get to the back or front side of your cylinder, your probably gonna have to lift it out periodically.

Also the 26sqft in 4sqft footprint is partially flawed not that vertical growing doesn’t add surface area it’s just cause as the plants grow inward that sqft is reduced especially when leaves and buds block those behind them.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info @Mr.Sparkle , @Gpaw and @ReikoX. All advise I will heed to avoid duplicating missteps. I’m thinking 24” light will be perfect as I was assuming the bottom third will still be fluffy stuff for the press.

2 Likes

Its what id be looking into if going down a similar route, that being 2 foot strips, my obvious current fave the Eb2’s are currently waiting for a restock at digikey but that was suppose to happen on the 1st so overdue, but that light you have will work as a top light for now which btw what wattage is it ?, Also line the garbage can with some mylar, aluminum foil shiny side out, or a survival blanket just to maximize the light you’ll have, spray glue will be your friend but expect crinkles especially in a reducing cylinder.

As for what you would need light wise just cause of closeness and such maybe 3-4 of the eb2 strips just for 360degree coverage and I’d just probably mount them with say 3 pieces of say 2" square tubing only a couple inches long as it’s enough to attach them all together into a square but keep the separated were air can flow around and through them and just hang them from the top piece, as if anything having solid square tubing the whole length as a heatsink will actually be worse for cooling cause your eliminating one side completely to air contact, and they run cool anyways… But ideas

4 Likes

Overnight static test with just 6” exhaust booster to the end of my rooftop power vent pulling air through gave me average 6 degree below ambient temp in veg room 86 degree with 90 outside.
Think I will do just the two tall plants as the MP does not stretch and is very compact.
I Have some GG4 rooting that will check all the boxes to SCROG and yield for the MARK II.
Now to get a light built!!:metal::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Don’t really know what week and what month little lone what day. Getting all cleaned up for triple genetics Chocolate Thai run so you all don’t see what a mess I make!

Got my cheap little HD LED back up and running with a new converter for 15 bucks. Never knew how much I used it in light training until I started the mini DWC. Can pull it tight and close nodes without burning tips.

Jungle is on Cruise with the chop of the 3 big plants Friday, love perpetual, new strains in the cupboards every month and learning a ton about plants and strains. Have completely switched to one part veg one part Bloom compatible for live soil coco mix and Hydro. Makes life so much simpler and with the twice a week dry watering I mix exactly what I need every time no amendment nutes every other watering and it is concentrated at 256:1 for 40.00 US each. KISS is the final goal…

I’ll be laying porcelain counters in the kitchen so forgive me if I get pics mixed in.,.off to set up wet saw…peek of what’s to come

7 Likes

You should run some during vintage Mexican grow this winter. Keep those Gene’s in the family so to speak. Starting( roughly) around Christmas.

2 Likes