WHAB’s 1924 Brick Schoolhouse RDWC

Coincidentally, I was just getting to Ace Hardware. It is a relatively local store that does carry a lot of gardening items.

I searched Home Depot, Lowe’s, Amazon, Walmart, BGHydro…some other online hydro stores I’m not familiar with - zippo!

And, yes… they do carry Safer Brand Caterpillar/Worm Killer.

I’ll get some in the AM!

Thanks, Reiko! tup

Thank you ALL! tup

WHAB

3 Likes

Happy to help. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

soak them plants down, don’t worry about overdoing it. It can’t hurt them.

2 Likes

So, where do they come from? Is it because I have my windows open and they just make themselves at home?

I don’t have pets. I don’t have houseplants other than Cannabis.

:question:,
WHAB

1 Like

You called that one RIGHT!

winky smokeit2,
WHAB

Sometimes it’s hard to figure out the exposure event, because it could have happened a month ago. Usually it’s materials or plants moved into the grow from outside that bring in the contamination.
Theoretically a bug could be on you and then crawl onto the plants, but if you brush yourself off before entering the grow that shouldn’t be a problem. As far as I know, as long as you have good weather stripping and screens, bugs can’t just fly in. They definitely don’t open doors.

2 Likes

Out of likes, sorry, seems common for me. The source is never going to be figured out bud. One bug comes in from outside on your clothes somewhere could be the cause. Just happy you are still in veg so easy to deal with.

1 Like

I have been spending a good deal of time outdoors in TALL grass (lawn, not that GRASS! winky) - tractor/mower is still down…but I tried to get more mowed today…failed. I’ve been in the outdoor garden a good bit too.

Those things are TINY! I could not see them with just my eyeballs. They could definitely come in through the screens on the windows. They’re that small.

I was a little surprised to find any bugs on them. I literally thought it was just growing damage caused by my ineptitude, not BUGS! winky

Thanks, folks! I owe you all! tup,
WHAB

1 Like

Dang! It is not available at my local Ace.

Somehow I landed on a New Mexico site. It’s available in New Mexico!

It looks like it will cost as much to ship it as it is to buy it - doubles the price.

I should have an easier time locating that product even IF I have drive another 1 hour + both ways to get to a ‘real’ city! ROFLMAO

WHAB

1 Like

You have ALL been so helpful, I’m going to do something for you ALL!

Soft Pretzel Burger Buns

https://www.pretzilla.com/products/burger-buns/

IF you’ve never had them you haven’t lived! I just found them a couple of months ago!

They’re awesome! Besides exceptionally tasty, they hold together very well!

You can all thank me later! winky

party-smiley-048,
WHAB

4 Likes

I found out the ‘hard way’…
I don’t ‘visit the girls’ after I’ve been working outside… The wee buggers hitchhike… and they are always pregnant… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Especially the spider mites… BTK for the win!

Cheers
G

3 Likes

My lawn is loaded with them. When you walk through the grass, do you notice little tiny things “jumping” around? Do you have a lot of wasps (they eat thrips among other insects)? I usually get them every summer. This year I haven’t so far, but I haven’t moved my lawn yet either.

4 Likes

Hello friend!

Attempting to avoid critters around here would require me to avoid walking outside the front door at all. There is no concrete or asphalt anywhere here except the front porch (crumbling concrete). Once I leave the porch it’s grass or gravel with grass and weeds coming through it.

BTK unavailable in the states, it seems.

Regards,
WHAB

1 Like

When I walk through the grass very many things jump and fly around. I think the only ones I could identify are grasshoppers and mosquitoes. Beyond that I’m not sure. There is no way I could characterize something so small as a thrips jumping/flying around.

Yes, there are Wasps here, also a bunch of Dirt Daubers (same family as I understand. limited knowledge).

Btw, I checked my local Ace Hardware store for Monterey B.T. and while it is available at other stores in other states, it is not available at this store in this state.

It seems I’ll have to keep some sort of insecticide regimen in place now and in the future. I’ll get something tomorrow, I have no idea what, yet…

Thank you, @ReikoX tup!

wavy,
WHAB

What an unnecessarily torturous ordeal!

I just bought Safer Brand Caterpillar Killer II Concentrate, Organic, 16 oz., 5163-6 from Tractor Supply BUT, it is “Ship to Store” and the site says “This item will ship within 5 days.”

On a positive note - shipping was free! winky

Thank you, one and all! tup

WHAB

2 Likes

The craziest part is, Gpaw and I are canooocks so we just walk to any hardware store and it’s on the shelf. Even the guy from brazil said oh yah that’s Dep I get it at the hardware store too. Then to see how difficult it was to get in the usa, that was weird!

4 Likes

Weird and crazy is absolutely true!

It’s Progressivism run amok, brother!

They ‘think’ they’re protecting us from ourselves.

I’m surprised I didn’t see “Proposition 65” pop up anywhere in the process.

Maybe it did and I just didn’t see it winky

Thanks for the assist, @JoeCrowe!

It is greatly appreciated! tup,
WHAB

2 Likes

lol but that’s the irony right? You couldn’t prop 65 that stuff because it’s biological insecticide, and doesn’t cause harm to humans. I was thinking it was a branding issue because of the BTK killer Dennis Rader. Nobody wants to look up your product and find his freaky biography. Info time:
It’ll kill aphids, caterpillars, loopers, thrips, ear wigs. Probably some other assorted bugs as well though they don’t say so on the label. Takes 3 days to kill 'em all. Harmless to beneficial organisms, I tested and made sure of that claim personally.

2 Likes

Facts don’t matter, my friend! They attach Prop 65 warnings to nearly everything! ROFLMAO

I was there when it started, and even before that, California killed or forced out businesses with their silliness.

See 1,1,1-Trichloroethane as one example.

Thanks for the heads-up on its use. I do appreciate that!

Is it used on a regular basis or just when they are - in their many forms - present?

I also just bought a Vivosun 51oz Hand held Garden Sprayer to apply it with.

WHAB

4 Likes

sweet, yah I just spray it on when I see a bug. It should be like an atomic strike to their world. They eat the plant and die. In the greenhouse I keep spraying it on every two weeks, but outside in the garden to break the lifecycle of the aphids and caterpillars on the plum+apple trees you hit the colony in the spring when they are starting to replicate and wipe out all the breeders. The colony collapses and they’re history. Lots of people use IPM, mine is to really clean the grow up. I’m always sweeping and vacuuming in there. swiffer the place when the plants are done.

3 Likes