What did you accomplish today?

Im gonna guess 3/4 lbs!

Awesome haul regardless of how much it weighs exactly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Went hunting. Did not get any deer, but got a couple grouse. Ate them. Pretty good weekend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Haha! That’s fantastic! Thank you. Thank you very much.

1 lb., 3oz., dried. :scales: :lifter:

But you’re gonna smoke it before then, so we’ll never know the Truth… :joy:

This is my kinda competition! Winner get’s nothing! :smile:

:evergreen_tree: :trophy:

2 Likes

The warm, sunny days and full moon has the deer bedded down all day, feeding all night. I didn’t see much moving out there other than a squirrel and some gray jays. I did discover a new, nice little spot with a shitload of deer sign, well away from the “traffic”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I figured it would be the case, unseasonably nice out. But October is “any buck”, plus whitetail doe, so had to try for an easy one.

Eery almost, very few birds even, few of anything…

1 Like

At this rate I’ll end up searching for a 4-pointer in Nov. I’d rather not get a rutty buck, though. One of my daughters got a little forky during youth season, and both my daughters won mulie doe LEH so that should work out for us… “should”. :wink:

I don’t mind being out there when it is like that. Like Steven Rinella always says, “it’s better to suffer for a while first”.

Taking the wife up the hill after work today for a quick evening hunt…

Best of luck if you get out there again!

3 Likes

Chopped my plants 2 days early because budrot just doesn’t go away. :calendar: :unamused:

However, purple aphids on a Dark Devil are kind of amusing (they’re purple b/c of the plant). :grapes: :imp:

:evergreen_tree: :persevere:

3 Likes

14 oz 9 quart masons!

2 Likes

Depends on density. Pictures cannot tell us that. But if there’s a firm handshake to it. About 1.5lbs be my guess.

3 Likes

Did some dry wall today, some sheet rock, and sub floor.

9 Likes

Pulled off the apple cider i fermented from the secondary

Apple juice from the backyard tree + EC1118 + an airlock + a month and a bit of patience = nice dry cider. Or, as Germans would call it apfelwein. Reminds me of getting royally sloshed in Frankfurt.

There was another litre in there but it did not fit into the two clean jugs I had so I drank it.

11 Likes

Nice! I should probably get around to bottling the gallon of dandelion wine and 2 gallons of apricot wine that have been on the shelf for 3 years.

2 Likes

Holy cow 3 years???
Anything that aged goes right into The Distillator 2.0 at our house, unless it’s on oak :wink:

1 Like

Ya the apricot is probably screwed at this point, but the dandelion can take a lot of aging from what I have read. I’ll certainly be sampling both before I make much effort.

2 Likes

I’ve never made dandelion wine before, but tasted some and it was pretty decent. I’m impressed that it can age for years - gonna recruit my 5 year-old to pick me a crop next spring :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@cogitech and @HappyHemper have you tried your hand at mead? That’s one that’s super easy and turns out great! I like the D47 lavlin yeast with any mead style!

2 Likes

A friend of mine in uni made mead once. Sadly, that turned me off mead. Some day I’ll likely try it again.

2 Likes

It’s funny, but I have not yet. The funny part is that my parents keep bees in the south Chilkotin, awesome honey.

I have tried it before and similar to the experience that @cogitech had, was not impressed. When I cask-condition a brown ale though, I do use honey as primer.

2 Likes