What strains do you miss/had the biggest impression on you?

Back 20yrs ago some of these strains you folks are listing (white russian, WW, chrystal, etcc) were pushing the limits of thc. These were often advertised as 17-20% thc. So of course at the time they were ‘super potent’ killer strains. However, since 25-30% thc strains are a dime a dozen now, if you went back to smoke one of those oldies you Would probably be very disappointed.
One can claim and Speculate that these strains were ‘lost’ but IMO and based on science and thc content, they just were never that potent in comparison.

Kinda similar to why nobody can find that ‘old school triple bag RKS’- because any killer stanky skunky weed back then seemed so special compared to m39 hydro commercial garbage or whatever else was around. 99% of potent weed ‘reeks like a skunk’ to a casual toker.

Anywho, just my opinion, but its yet to be proven wrong lol
Cheers

9 Likes

While I agree with those statements to an extent, theres something to be said about terpenes/flavonoids, and also individual cultivars as well as advancements in both horticultural knowledge and technology, and how they have skewed that perception.

For example, I’ve had White Russian since then, as well as its parental lineage, and have even grown out some WW not that long ago and they were still plenty potent.

9 Likes

Just my opinion, but I don’t think THC percentages alone dictate the high you get from weed. Therefore, I don’t think comparing thc percentages to ‘the old strains’ is a clear indicator that we would be disappointed from those strains today. In fact, imo I get a much better high, that is more enjoyable and lasts longer from some of the old school strains vs some of today’s high thc strains. Again, just my opinion.

14 Likes

I second that I’m mostly looking for flavors and smells I can roll a joint fatter

10 Likes

I’d much rather smoke something that’s delicious at medium potency than something lethally potent and not tasty.

14 Likes

it is hard to compare old and new

today’s weed is high in THC and we are use to it

some of these strain back then had lower THC so to us

today they are indeed weak

but back then that is what we had and in their day they were

rocket fuel

all the best and enjoy the day

Dequilo

2 Likes

Hell I still enjoy a mild high from time to time

9 Likes

cook with it :slight_smile: #@$% 20 characters

3 Likes

I agree it is hard to compare old strains to new. I think it’s the whole THC/potent/weak talk where I start to question. What makes a strain strong? THC only? Or are there other cannabinoids that contribute to the overall high? I also agree with the theory we have become better growers and are able to push plants’ genetic potential.

Disclaimer: I’ve been in trim jail all night screen is still a little blurry lol. :v:

6 Likes

The Hawaiian sativa holds a top spot for me too. I actually started an overgrow account because a search for it brought up a grow journal on it from someone who’s keeping the seeds going. You might also like to know that lucky 13 seeds out of BC has pure romulan seeds listed as available.

5 Likes

So I got in touch with the breeder who had the Hawaiian Sativa. He ended up sending me a free pack with the agreement that I’d spread them around. He said they came from a grower in BC who specifically has been maintaining the pure line to spread it around so I’m confident it’s the real deal. It’ll be a while but I’ll submit them to the breeding/seed sharing program here on overgrow once I’ve done a seed production run.

11 Likes

:clap: :smile: :thumbsup:

:herb: THAT’s the spirit! :herb:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

So I got in touch with the breeder who had the Hawaiian Sativa. He ended up sending me a free pack with the agreement that I’d spread them around. He said they came from a grower in BC who specifically who has been maintaining the pure line specifically to spread it around so I’m confident it’s the real deal. It’ll be a while but I’ll submit them to the breeding/seed sharing program here on overgrow once I’ve done a seed production run.

A seed preservation would be sweet @SchmoeJoeRising!
I grew Federation Seeds Hawaiian Sativa back in the day. Menthol/Hazy smelling buds on large plants. Can smell like Vick vaporub somewhat, some phenos lean heavier this way I found… My faves were 2 cutts from the more Hazy/floral side.
10-12 weeks was the instructions back in the day, Big fan leaves. I know it can go 11 if needed.
Very unique terps to her.
Among my fave plants I ever grew. I miss Federations seeds’ Hawaiian and the Cotton Candy gear.
Grew a wicked Romulan x Mikado pheno also. Very tart, like licking a 9 volt battery. The flowers grew completely diff then the others also.A very dense, kushy style nugg to her,

7 Likes

I’ve always liked northern lights and blueberry but honestly most times if i smoke cannabis and its a nice buzz I’m always saying this is my favorite weed so i basically say that about any strain i enjoy .

5 Likes

I was just reading about raynald desjardins when he was trading arms with the Lebanese for there hashish.

1 Like

I had Schrom I think it was Columbian Gold lineage strain only…I did make my own cross with it with my Vietnamese Black male and I have seeds that I call Vietnam Gold… These are seeds that I gave out back in the day.

9 Likes

My NL#5 it just works good for me. Great hi and taste.

Piney/earthy and smooth.

I usually harvest some faster and then let some go longer before the chop for different effect.

3 Likes

Original Skunk like i grew back in the 90s, where are you bitch! never thought i’d say this but i miss you badly. That numb body couch lock and comatose sleep would be so good right now :disappointed:

7 Likes

Most memorable strains for me are 91 Christmas bud, Afghan 1 and Roadkill Skunk.
All will get the job done nicely . :smiley:

4 Likes

I miss Jamaican sensi, middle eastern hash, charas and African sativa.

5 Likes