Who are the best or most consistent breeders?

I havenā€™t actually got Genes from anywhere but fellow growers since around 2009 but back then I was all about Mr Nice. He has all the old school genes that are the parents of most of the poly hybrids we enjoy today. I canā€™t say how good his stock is nowadays though but knowing Shanti baba, Iā€™m sure itā€™s on point!

2 Likes

Just saying, I have had very good success with my seed orders from fleur de mal seeds from @Baudelaire on here. Enough success to keep me a repeat customer even though iā€™m on the other side of the pond. @bozrdang

3 Likes

Mr. Nice was another well respected breeder from back in the day. Forgot about them. Thanks!

2 Likes

Baudelaire was big on the old Overgrow, right? That name sounds familiar though Iā€™ve never heard of the seed company you mention before.

2 Likes

Back in I think 07 I got some Shit and Ash from him. (skunk#1ibl) and (afganskunkXafganhaze)

There was lots of variation in the ash but I had this nice beauty I grew outdoors in a corn field. Beautiful plant. Good production, gorgeous flowers, great uplifting buzz with this likeā€¦ Fermented mango vomit bouquet that was incredibly tasty. Wish I still had cutsā€¦

1 Like

You are correct he was big on the old OG and a few other places :wink: Fleur de mal is his seed company. there are links on here.

2 Likes

Well, unlike thirty years ago, it is truly impossible to grow all of the strains offered by all of the rapidly multiplying ā€œbreedersā€ peddling their wares nowadays.

I have been disappointed frequently over the past ten or so years, in trying some highly touted genetic concoctions.
So, recently I have been intrigued by the consistently unique and robust offerings of Mandala Seedsā€¦I have been binge growing their strains for a couple of years now!
I canā€™t say whether Mandala is anywhere near the ā€œbestā€, but I have yet to be disappointed by any of their flowers.
Consistent, IMO.

And of course, keep in mind, that I can only speak of my entirely subjective preferences.

I am going to give FDM and @LED_Seedz a whirl once I return to my main garden.

8 Likes

You know as a small grower itā€™s a bit depressing how much you read about all the different strains and their characteristics and then you read about so many phenos and many being totally different than how they were described. As a small, personal, seed grower I donā€™t really want to have to go through a 10 pack of seeds (growing 1 or 2 at a time max) to find the pheno that has that nice fruity aroma or purple hues. If you even get one that does.

1 Like

Stick to IBLā€™s from well known breeders, stick away from the pollen chuckerā€™s and youā€™ll be fine.

Line breeding has become a lost art, but there are those that care more about their lines than they do about the cash being made for their years of work that goes in to making plants consistent.

There are still exceptions to what seems the norm now a days with the kids.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s why I started this thread. Trying to find out who the reputable breeders are. I know youā€™re in the game and maybe youā€™d rather not say, but who do you recommend.?

1 Like

The ones that everyone has recommended are all legit. When you see breeders that are publicly testing their seeds, Cough LED_Seedz , Sin City Seeds Cough that is always a good sign, and a good way of seeing what phenos people are getting before hand.

Bodhi Seeds- One of my favorite breeders, based on his ethics. Just know he has a lot of creations, and some are amazing synergistic strains, and others not so much. But at the price point and how amazing they tend to be, always a good purchase.

OG Raskal Genetics- FIRE FIRE FIRE

Top Dawg- Works their lines, creators and innovators of some phenomenal strains

@BogSeeds- They are constantly improving their lines, and have been a huge part of the community for many years!

5 Likes

How can I tell which strains are IBLs? I searched a few seed stores and searching for IBL yielded next to nothing.

2 Likes

That just depends on what kind of a thing you are looking for. So many choices now a days. I think I saw you were only doing a couple of plants at a time so you may want to run some fems.

One of the best in the game IMO at that route is my long time friend @inkognyto Not sure what heā€™s got going on but a PM to him could be helpful. He may have even made something with the pre 98 Bubba as I sent him the original years ago.

If you want unique Bodhiā€™s got it going on, as well as Mikey from Exotic seeds. All of these guys have been in my circle for years. Iā€™ve always been the quite type [in public settings]

I certainly donā€™t want to make anyone mad for not mentioning their name.

Next to nothing is about right. Pretty lucky finding F2ā€™s and 3ā€™s on most of the seed vendor sites last I looked.

Anything at F5 and beyond is technically an IBL although I have seen very recently people claiming to have certain things at F6 and F7 that I have grown and honestly I have to say they are full of it. I have some F2ā€™s that breed more true.

7 Likes

Thanks so much for all your help! Itā€™s truly appreciated. I understand you being cautious about mentioning other breeders, Iā€™m certainly not looking to cause a rift between anyone. I think Iā€™ll get a pack of your Strawberry Creme and check them out.

P.S. Would strains like DJ Shortsā€™ Blueberry and Bros. Grimm Cinderella 99 be stable, or not necessarily?

1 Like

Led_Seedz wonā€™t brag, but his stuff always looks very uniform, and you can trust his genetic pedigrees. Itā€™s pretty obvious he has a lot of integrity when it comes to breeding cannabis. Search some of his test-crops here on OG if you havenā€™t been following his work.

4 Likes

Welcome back to the wonderful world of the cannabis seed market, 2018. Itā€™s a wild west style green rush, and snake-oil salesmen abound.

1 Like

I would consider C99 and Blueberry stable but Iā€™m no breeder.

You seem interested in Bros. Grimm. From my experience you can find a keeper from a pack of C99. Personally if it was me Iā€™d go for the cheaper Apollo 11 or Apollo 11 haze. Again you find a keeper with little effort.

If you really want C99 get it from FDM and grab a pack of his new Sweet tooth #4 for less than youā€™ll pay for Bros. Grimm C99. The Sweet tooth provides 2 desirable phenos to choose from.
Fleur du Mal Seeds

3 Likes

I hold a cut of Blueberry that is 20 this year. I also hold a cut of C99 that I think is either 16 or 17 this year. I havenā€™t run either of their lines in years and years so canā€™t really speak on either.

I can tell you that the Blueberry I hold wears a chastity belt. I have bred her to 5 different stable males and in Every case the offspring show inter sexing traits. All trashed and never released.

4 Likes

I have been interested to try C99 since I used to grow back in the early 00s. I am wiling to pay for a quality strain if itā€™s consistent and true to itā€™s description.

2 Likes

Just browsing through some posts again and happened to notice the above comment and it made me laugh. Fermented mango vomit? And you say it was incredibly tasty? :joy:

Just reminds of a night many years ago when my wife (who rarely drinks) overindulged in some fruity wine cooler drink and vomited all over inside the car. It was definitely a fruity vomit bouquet but the word ā€œtastyā€ never came to mind. :laughing:

2 Likes