Who has an electric pre built dry cabinet

I bring the flower to where it holds 70% RH in a sealed jar (0.70 water activity) and then burp a few times. Now that I’ve been able to control VPD in the chamber I notice the flower will be way more aromatic and lively when broken up or ground. This is compared to previous dry downs where it took maybe 5 days. Now that I know that 10 days is roughly equivalent to ~0.85 kPa VPD, I can surmise that my previous dry downs had far exceeded the VPD limit we’re looking for.

And following this logic, I could also sort of postulate that the longer the dry takes, the better (with caveats being mold risk, and potentially some chemistry I’m unaware of).

5 Likes

All credit to you and to @FieldEffect for his contributions here on OG. FE told me about the VPD targets but the literal connection to mechanical pressure wasn’t in place yet. The more vapor pressure we have, the more squeeze is in place, the more loss of oils, resins, etc. We just want water to evaporate out and want it to do so as calmly as possible.

6 Likes

Cool. I just need a smaller one

Does it come with a carbon filter??? I’d be more interested if it had a carbon filter to stop smells unless the door is opened and the ability to use it in a wider range of temperatures as in my garage throughout the year. 40’s winter time and the summer heat of the Midwest with garage door down.

I have one and get no smell except when the door is open.

2 Likes

Cannatrol users, have you found that the top and bottom shelves come out less dry? I’m finding that the middle shelves are ready for a jar, but the top/bottom are a little bit too wet for the jar. Not a big deal, but wondering if there is anything I can do about it.

I’m doing a 7 day dry at a dew point of 52 and a 7 day cure at a dew point of 50.

1 Like

I haven’t found any difference between any of the shelves. My last run I ran at 63 degrees, 48 dewpoint, 5 day dry, 5 day cure, and has been sitting on hold for about 60 days. This strain only got better the longer it sat. I did a couple runs at factory defaults, did a couple adjusting the parameters, and everything that went thru and is sitting in Grove bags, is tasty as hell, and holding very well in them.
My question would be, are you using the sponge after the 1st 24 hrs??

1 Like

@LD50 Thanks for sharing the secret sauce! I’m chopping this weekend and trying to figger out Temp/RH settings. This is my first winter dry, so managing the environment is unknown territory for me dealing with low RH form the central heating… Using VPD to set parameters is a serious revaluation, and totally new after banging around the community for a minute or two.
I’ll be keeping the lung room around 68-70F and 64-65 RH to see how it goes.
As soon as I turn off the light the Temp and RH are gonna drop like a stone, as there won’t be 700W of light/heat in the space any more, and I won’t be pouring gallons of water into pots.
I usually would keep the saturated, empty pots in there to increase RH, but I guess this time I’ll pick up a humidifier from Target in the next couple of days…

4 Likes

I’ve been completely ignoring the whole 60/60 “rule” for curing for over a year now and just doing it in a partition of my flower room. I put up a portable closet from Walmart that cost $20, loosely covered it with black and white poly to reflect the light while allowing plenty of air flow, and called it a day. My flower cures just fine at 78F/58-62% RH, i.e. around .75 VPD - the same conditions it grows in. Takes about 10 days, as @LD50 mentioned. I’d kinda like to stretch it out to 2 weeks, but not sure I can do that without actually allowing mold to grow as well…

4 Likes

Yes, I have. Are you wet trimming?

1 Like

Yes, I wet trim everything down into nuggets, no need for me to keep a giant bud, open the jar 15 times to snip enough off for a joint, just seems counterintuitive to me. Everything gets wet trimmed down into nuggets, run thru my Centurion trimmer, then into into the Cannatrol, or my freezer for fresh frozen washing.

1 Like

That’s like taking all her clothes off the second she comes through the door. I totally get it, it was going to happen anyways, but talk about cutting to the chase!!!

1 Like

Has anyone tried the “Needone” humidor? I’m curious if it’s possible to add some kind of humidity control to it instead of just being passive. The fact it’s a space that’s easier to control outside temperatures sealed to stabilize makes me wonder if a humidity control is viable. It’s more in my price range. I just want to have more control of drying and after couple weeks into jars.

1 Like

OK so if I have this placed indoors and not in my grow area I can load it and after the initial odor dissipates in a hour or so I won’t have any additional scents of weed in the air until I open the door?? My grow area is just a closet more or less with tent carbon filter exhausting up through ceiling into attic area which is well ventilated and never a whiff makes it outside the house. I dry in my tent as do lots of us. And having this sitting in my closet along with tent and moms and cuts on separate shelves, space is a premium and don’t think it will be something I can have sitting in that area long term. Hell if I had to I could just sit it in the tent for a couple weeks but would rather get new grow going in the tent instead.
Therefore buying this is contingent on while it’s closed and doing its thing it does not exhaust odors unless I open the door of it.
This is kind of a big security thing for me. The smell, not actually seeing it sitting in a room.
If that’s the case at some point next few months I will probably figure out a way to get one without making the wife’s head explode by not telling her how much.

My wife cried and cried during the 2021 dry/cure and you couldn’t smell it unless you stood next to the door to my drying room.
My Cannatrol sits in the living room, and haven’t heard a peep out of her. There was a “faint” smell once, but had to be standing right next to it, and it was the condensate tray that was smelling, not coming from the Cannatrol. If you open the door, then it will smell. My parents stopped bye on the 2nd day of a run, sat 4ft from it, and didn’t smell anything.

4 Likes

I can only tell you that I personally do not smell any odor from my unit. However, I have only needed to fill the unit to about half capacity so far (3 drying runs) and the plants I dried were not strains that have a super power smell.

Perhaps there are some other users here who can help your purchase decision with their experience.

2 Likes

Mine is in my living room too. :slight_smile: I put it on wheels so I can roll it into the closet when not in use.

2 Likes

packed to the gills, and wife not complaining, and you could smell this strain 300 yds away.
Zero smell outside the unit, if you opened the door, it would stink up the entire living room in 10 seconds (bad mojo from wife). LOL

8 Likes

For some reason my wife also hates the smell of growing weed and fresh cut. Yet once it’s jarred and cured she smokes the overwhelming majority of it :rofl::face_with_hand_over_mouth::smirk:
Sound’s more appealing and watching YouTube vids on it make it pretty much done deal. Did UPS deliver this or by actual freight truck ? I’d have to use discreet packaging because I have a couple Gladys Kravits neighbors.
I got a few months before I’m gonna need it. Just starting a 100 day Cuban Haze and cuts are not even rooted yet. :spiral_calendar::spiral_calendar::spiral_calendar:

1 Like

My wife surprised me with mine, I got home one day, and a box was sitting in the living room.
So it wouldn’t have come common carrier, either UPS or FedEx, and If I remember correctly, the box was wrapped in black plastic.

1 Like