Who rides and what do you ride šŸ¤˜

Ohlins at least for racecars is some of the best suspension shocks available to buy. Only thing I can think of fancier are the moton style that they use in pro racing with the individual remote reservoirs and computer to change ride height and damping etc from inside the car as youā€™re moving. Looks amazing but if you have that then you are getting into corner balancing and a lot more work, they are for competition.

Some of the german cars coilover brands are rebadged ohlins or like bbs wheels they liscensed their patent to other companies haha.

2 Likes

I hear you there that is why I have not pulled the trigger and keep looking at some Jap single

easier to work on cheaper on parts and lost money used

but for me the BMW is the boxer and that is why I like the Rs

I have Ohlins on my my RT and it rides super, I have hammered it thru the twists one up with no complaints

it is a great commuter but working on it can break the bank, the single plate dry clutch will burn up right now

and breaking the bike in half is work

not like a clutch pack on a Harley, but do a R at a dealer and you will drop 2800 buck without much effort

be safe and ride free

Dequilo

2 Likes

It is a f650gs. I grew up a Honda guy but I love how smooth, torquey, and comfortable this thing is!

@dequilo
The seat height is pretty low on these and easy to change a link and get it even lower. The 1200gs are awesome but Iā€™m afraid itā€™s too much bike for me. Coming from 250cc sized dual sports the 650 feels like a beast.

2 Likes

Not mine haha wife wonā€™t allow such toys

2 Likes

Dammit! I wanted to ride that suckaā€™ā€¦ :disappointed:

1 Like

If I was gonna get one it be something like that though :laughing:

1 Like

You still managing on the DR stock tank? Isnā€™t it 2.3 gal?

That was one of my first farkles.

2 Likes

Always wanted me a Fatboy, never got one though. Wife would kill me if I got a bike now and didnā€™t get one when I was younger due to the clubs where Iā€™m from. Had 2 different clubs trying to recruit me by 15. Uncle was president of the renegades and was enough of a d-bag that the local phantoms put a protection order out for my mom n me. (Uncle got banned from my moms bar, blamed mom who had nothing to do with it, and started beating up her boyfriends, etc., for payback) Had enough troubles from that shit to just not want to deal with it anymore.

3 Likes

3.4 US gal.

I still manage, but a 5 gallon Acerbis is on the short list.

Until then, Iā€™ve tuned the carb for maximum fuel efficiency and if I really need to I can throw an extra gallon jug in my top box.

My first farkle was the seat.

2 Likes

I saw a 40s frame for panhead bike at a shop that had been stripped of everything and whatever they do for taking rust off dip it in acid or sandblast idk but was in the stage of checking for rush and adding stronger tube metal where it was needed or had to be cut for rust, and the shop said the customer was planning on putting a modern v-twin in it and modern suspension brakes computer etc. Seemed cool but I didnā€™t go there enough to see if they finished.

I think it was for the motorcycle equivalent of car shows, not really for driving on a road that could fuck up the finish you know a fancy bike haha but seemed cool, even though the frame was made in 40s bike factory it looked like made from custom metal tubes welded by hand, was very cool shape and they didnā€™t enlongate the front fork or any frankennstein shit they left orginial Harley or whoever made it design alone and just upgraded the metal to make it a 50 state legal road usable frame.

Super old guy moment but Iā€™m so old when I first watched a Dakar rally it was in dakar still haha.

KTM is cool they broke the least each time I saw it. Man if I was doing the dakar the old one across sahara I would never go in the bike I would race those giant methanol powered dune buggies! Lol the only thing more impressive is after the stage or if someone needs ambulance or mobile pitstop, the fucking support truck this giant tractor trailer comes fucking sailing over the dunes 18 wheels off the ground like fucking Burt Reynolds. It looks ballsy and cool as shit but I learned later they have to go fast like that for the race obvs but also to clear the dunes the require that much forward momentum or the sand will weigh them down and they stop. Ya gots ta push it to the limit! That shit is truckin, legit!

Really any desert motorcycle rally I would probably die, baja rally doesnā€™t look like gentile terrain or environment either. Some of the old mexican rallies team bribe money was part of the team budget for when federalies were able to pull you over and shake you down.

I saw an old black and white 8x10 print (getting super old guy now) in a magazine from Mexico from a son of one of the crooked fedralies who had a camera in the 50s and took a photo of whatever team was winning for Porsche I guess Rodriguez Brothers or Fangio, and he takes a photo of everyone smiling and the federalies are waving to the camera and pointing AK47ā€™s at Fangio and drivers with one hand and taking bribe in the other and Fangio and drivers have nervous smile and looking at watch haha rally is happening as photo is being taken!

And the car I will never forget long mexican dirt highway, racing version Porsche 550 spyder like James Deanā€™s but with the small plastic windsield and its basically a pretty shapely aluminum tube with a gas tank and tires and one seat!

Wish I could find it I bet it exists on the internetsā€¦

1 Like

Haha, great topic! Iā€™m surprised how many riders are here :smiley: ā€¦

My Honda CBR600RR 2004 can be probably counted as oldschool now :slight_smile: ā€¦ (btw Honda had most powerful 600 ccm engine in the circuit bikes category in 2004)

Great bike to go riding countrysideā€¦

But currently Iā€™m winding down to something smaller and lighter for city commutingā€¦ looking at KTMsā€¦

12 Likes

It pleasantly surprised me too. And many of them I wouldnā€™t have expected to. @George I expected you only had sea legs. Must be the profile pic :joy:

And @lemonadejoe that CBR is in immaculate condition for an 04. Props

6 Likes

Whoā€™s got the scrambler, monsters or dukes

My wife said she does and rides ā€¦ me !

1 Like

Man, is everyone on here way cooler than me or what? Hereā€™s my ride, donā€™t be jealous!

Got it when I was way younger and it sat in a shed for like 10+ years. Finally took it out and cleaned the carb and it was running pretty great. Popped the carb off again to mess with it a bit and misthreaded the bolt that holds it on so now she sits here until I get a tap and die set (and learn how to use it lol). Itā€™s pretty crazy just how fast 35mph feels on something like this :sunglasses:

14 Likes

My first street ride back when I was 14-15 was a Honda 50cc moped. I know exactly what you mean about the feeling of speed on a small bike!

I forgot to mention earlier I also have a couple of Honda CT-70s. One has a 110cc engine in it, and itā€™ll do 50mph. A little bike like that (140 pounds) shouldnā€™t go that fast. Fucken rocket!

5 Likes

I think tap and die set are easier to use with work bench mounted vice too iirc.

But still cool a vintage motorcycle I guess. In cars if it was built at least 25 years ago itā€™s vintage.

3 Likes

and the small vehicle going fast there is a lot to that.

The world sports toyota a was a closed wheel open cockpit racecar that after toyota stopped the series late 90s you could get a car, wheels tires spare engines for $10k but they are single seaters still cool.

The transmission is the same one toyota used for the mr2 and lots of cars a parts bin 5 speed and the engine was a 1.6 dual cam 20 valve that they raised the revs and used race gas. The engine only had about 160hp but the car with driver and fluids gas etc all weight maybe 1100 lbs. Much less most likely and better power to weight ratio than dodge viper and a lot more expensive to maintain and drive cars.

The only place they are weak is on the straightaway or anything you need lots of low end torque like elevation change. But a short curvy place a more technical drive you can pass everyone haha.

If I could have any fast expensive sports car I would get a Porsche cayman and put a 6cyl from 911 in it and stiffer springs and a few things like that better tires etc.

Powerful, light, mid engine, tons of aftermarket support and factory proven r&d from the racetrack, seems like would be really cool.

1 Like

Felt DD10 with BBSHD power. 45 MPH, 50 mile range, goes anywhereā€¦Dogā€™s chase me on it.
Yeah I got a ZX14, Zrx1100, Daytona 1200, and a Trophy 1200ā€¦but I RIDE THIS ONE!!! More fun

13 Likes