Who's running northern lights?

so the Northern Lights arrived in 27 days :grin: AND got 12 Blue Lights for freebies on a 12 seed order ! wow so cool!

7 Likes

Well people, I’ve been dealing with a lot of work lately and I’m sorry to say I lost the male (which really sucks).

4 Likes

Damn, sorry bro. It’s hard enough for me to end up keeping the ones I should but to lose it after I had finally saved a good one, sheesh.

2 Likes

I think biotechnology/plant tissue culture techniques could make this a far more infrequent occurrence. There are studies being done on long term cold storage of cannabis explants. The last results I saw indicated a 90% growth rate in explants stored a 15 degrees C for 6 months.

It’s not a simple procedure, so it wouldn’t be feasible for the average grower, but in my mind I see a “clone freezer” where breeders/growers can pay to store their elite cuts.

Just imagine. The next time this happens, you send an email, and a couple of weeks later you get a brand new rooted plantlet overnighted to you, ready to transplant.

::grabs bottle of lotion and heads for bathroom::

9 Likes

They’ll stay good for a couple weeks in the fridge
Good to know for planning purposes

3 Likes

It’s a multi-stage process, involving creating explants, encapsulating them with alginate, and freezing them. I don’t want to keep hijacking the Northern Lights thread.

There are others here with more knowledge of these things who have started threads on tissue culture, and genetic preservation. If you’re interested, give them a look.

4 Likes

Hello im new here so excuse me if im outta place, im trying to finger everystuff out. I saw your Northern Lights wanted post and thought I’d say hi.
I have some Auto Northern Lights going right now i got them to strictly make feminized seeds with to have for later cross breeding. If everything goes well, and i can figure out how to save your contact info, i could give or trade you a few. I am moving soon, in the middle of the grow but it shouldn’t really effect them much.
Okay.

5 Likes

Hey man just so you know as long as people aren’t arguing I have no problems with my threads taking detours along the way others might not like it but I don’t mind I read it all :grin:

8 Likes

@SageEminetJunky51 first and foremost welcome to Overgrow
I sincerely appreciate the offer especially being it was your first post that’s the spirit of OG I love to see

But I found some NL and the community is making some more :grin: keep up the good intentions we see you :smirk:

11 Likes

Looks skunky to me, i have island sweet skunk looks pretty damn close

1 Like

If your going to do tissue culture you might as well do mycology also or use myco tech for tissue culture. I did a run for awhile but the clean room environment and plants didnt mix well, it takes a special kinda personality to maintain the sterilization required, at least for me…

3 Likes

I got some ISS x MTF/NL i bet there’s some fire in that pack

Hells yeah! i have nl and mtf seperate and my nl pollinated (had a light leak) the atf so im curious about the mix since i have iss also!

2 Likes

I’m not normally one to say grow out the hermies but NL from a light leak wouldn’t worry me to much NL/MTF used to be a common cross in the Marc Emery days

1 Like

Im gonna run em and see what happens but the nl is beautiful purple and maroon colors great terp profile and the mtf is a little too creeper sativa high for me so hoping it balances it out a bit. The iss i been running for over 10 years and colder temps really bring out the colors but summer here its staying pretty green, cant wait for winter lol only 84 days to fall :grin:

1 Like

NL #1 from Sensi…not looking promising but still time

11 Likes

Hi there.
Nirvana NL f2 from open pollination using 3 males and 2 females.

One of the involved mothers .

15 Likes

Nirvana’s stock has a crazy sativa growing nl…gotta hunt for it but it’s in there.

5 Likes

I dabble with mycology and find it very rewarding for many reasons. :grinning: But other than sterile technique, mycology and tissue culture have very different requirements. Think about it, green leafy plants have very different nutritional requirements than fungi. All you need in terms of nutritional media to grow shrooms is light malt extract and agar.

With tissue culture you have a base nutrient/vitamin mix, (Musrishige & Skoog’s 1962 formula is the most common, but there are others). The base is added to distilled water, sugar, and agar, then, depending on the growth stage, that’s augmented with Plant Growth Regulators, (PGRs). Cytokinins are used for callus/shoot development, while auxins are added to initiate rooting.

Having done both, I can tell you it’s far easier to grow mushrooms. I’ve grown tubs of shroomies, but I’ve never been able to generate a rooted plantlet with TC, not one.

12 Likes

Yeah im kinda bummed i missed out on those nl2 x 88g13hp, those nigerian x afghani are a repro of reefermans nigerian nightmare

2 Likes