Why does all dispensary smell and taste the same

Ahh, nice to hear from the great DougDawson, ty. Yeah, I’m not that far from Canada, but again, there’s that legal problem. What is an LP? I need to reiterate, while i find a pile of average to below average on shelves, you’d think after 7 years, and 150 forms of cannabis that i’d remember one phenotype and go back for more of same. I’ll tell you there are two that we think is kind of okay but not really satisfactory, one is acapulco gold, which has not been on the shelf here in about a year; and the other is pineapple gold which has been on the shelves here for years, and has about 168 each four point five star ratings from consumers at my main dispo. Again it’s okay, it costs anywhere from $30 to $35/eighth, but i have not bought any in awhile because I keep trying to find better stuff. I spend about $300 a visit to the store for my requisite ounce of smoke. I buy about 10 or so phenotypes or varieties of cannabis. Very highly disappointing over the last 7 years, I’m telling ya.

It’s really difficult for me to communicate. The topic title here is about smelling and tasting the same, and i just added dispo has very little euphoric effect to the topic. I would not care about the taste, the smell, or the look, if it got us high. I do care about the taste, or should i say, the harshness. Why is it all harsh??? It’s all throat burningly harsh, i remember that back in the old days, but damn we used to smoke some of the smoothest stuff, tasted great, not harsh and would knock your lights out. Where the hell is that stuff?

1 Like

Like what? Can you give an example.

As many have said already it’s just profit driven. I think most of the damage is done by early harvests and poor drying/handling. We are not the target market…. Supposedly most sales are pre-rolls… :joy:

I bought dispensary bud within a week of it hitting shelves. I even corroborated on the growers IG that it was recently harvested and processed.

It had some just ok effects but it tasted horrible and had a strange consistency like it had been rehydrated. You know what it is when you feel it. This was recently in California.

1 Like

Here’s the entire 136 page vid book on the Athena protocol: The Athena Handbook (Imperial) by Athena Ag - Issuu
And what do you mean we are not the target market? And most sales are pre rolls? How do you know all this? Do you grow for a dispo? Did u d/l that Athena Handbook?

2 Likes

I’ve read through that. Just wondering what he considers a “terp enhancer” from their lineup.

Just saying I don’t think home growers are the target market for stuff that makes it to the shelves at dispensaries.

Prerolls…. Just what I’ve heard from someone I know who used to work at one. Definitely not stated as a fact.

1 Like

here’s what i read:

Finishing with Fade zero - Nitrogen Flush removes chlorophyll from the plant leaves and flower

If that’s the terp enhancer, I’m not sure. No, i doubt dispos are looking to make much profit off of home growers. That’s my big problem is we gotta buy from dispos, and can’t buy from somebody who grows stuff well. And finally, i am not sure you’d be right about cones or pre rolls, but i only know that about 80% of the 150 buys i’ve made over the years have been flower. I have bought cones occasionally, and i break the gram ones up into half grams and roll 'em myself. I have to look more into this terp enhancer thing, unless Fade zero is the stuff you mean?

1 Like

…land of the free…

2 Likes

i was j/k about shooting on sight, altho they will lock you up in one of their corporate prisons for a jay, or maybe it’s more than an ounce worth of jays, i dunno.

1 Like

I’ll add my .02 cents since I’ve been working in the ny market.
The moisture requirements to pass testing are lower than anything you personally would do.

Everything is remediated for mold/ bacteria. This is mostly ozone treatment for a period of hours.

Most important is that ny only had a handful of dispensaries open until recently. This lead to all farms trying to put their products through 30ish stores. This makes the time it takes for product to get in the stores and to the consumer longer

3 Likes

I’ll give you a hint in your dispensary searches…
Go for the lower priced stuff… Focus on outdoor bud
Indoor bud is ruined, commercial ops grow it in sub par conditions (mainly poor light systems)
As they can get away with using the bare minimum to grow big size buds that has no medicinal effect to them…
Now throw these buds into tumblers, then large jugs for “curing” that sometimes end up as mold or just harsh pickled lettuce smoke
Sorry I digress, outdoor bro
Look for outdoor hash or extract… thank me later :wink:

2 Likes

It’s in their proprietary blend of Bloom A+B.

Pz :v:t2:

This is inspiring to home growers who want to make it into commercial. Quality over profits!

I take that back, all Ohio dispensary weed that I have tried leaves alot to be desired. Michigan has better weed, Lume’s top shelf is called Blackout. The Marshmello Og was so good good I grew it myself. You put a cold dry and cure on that bad girl and even the roach tastes good, right down to the cardboard.

2 Likes

If you want to try these “enhancers” as a home grower fearless gardener have very strong blends of these chemicals in both Flavinator and Carbolicious.

1 Like

Commercial alert :warning: :loudspeaker:

1 Like

No thanks, I will stick with worm castings and unsulphered blackstrap molasses

4 Likes

Haha, yeah I’m all for making all your weed sweet and bland, especially since I’m heavy gas guy who don’t like sweet buds :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

@Ohiograssman I think you should switch :wink: Organics are for losers… :rofl:

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, fantastic quality pot and hash from vacationland. They seem to do their own thing genetics wise as well.

2 Likes

Funny you say go for outdoor. All the ny dispensaries are waiting for indoor to be available. They believe that will solve the anemic sales!

1 Like

My dad says dispo weed is full of chemicals and gives him a hangover.

So I give him my homegrown instead and he loves it. He says it has no chemical feeling.

8 Likes