Women of Overgrow

Sativaindica set up a role call for all the ladies the other day though it quickly escalated turning into a raunchy mess all in good fun and showed women can be just as bad (sometimes worse) then men lol I thought it was a great idea to have a place for women to support other women.

We are Grandmothers, Mothers, Aunts, Sisters, Daughters, Granddaughters, Cousins, Friends and so much more

There are many amazing women that have paved the way for the opportunities we have with many women of today to build upon that foundation for our future daughters, nieces, granddaughters etc. We are powerful and strong and brilliant….”Behind every great man is a great woman” is no longer a catch phrase to give women credit when society has not recognized their achievements as we have taken the reigns to make society change – it is no longer a male dominated world and hasn’t been for quite some time though like anything else there are different views, customs, traditions and ways of life that many are unable to see women as the warriors we are in ALL industries…here is some advice from up and coming women in the Cannabis industry:

Emily Paxhia

Dr Lakisha Jenkins

Jane West

Mary Jane Gibson

Lynne Lyman

IME, we are our own worst enemies by not allowing ourselves a moment to be vulnerable, to obtain the support we crave. Often denying ourselves by taking care of others first, discount thoughts/feelings as being unimportant, repressed and/or just not wanting to deal with it. Once we reach our boiling point, some bitch and complain how we are not respected, some join in on the stereotype to release that building pressure and some withdraw……men are no different with many breaking the stereotype that they must be dominant, immune to emotions, aggressive etc. – We all have our own battles in this thing called life. So let’s get to know each other in a more productive way, break free of the typical stereotypes, allow a moment to be vulnerable, obtain support unique to the female gender and enjoy the very thing that brought us altogether….the love of Cannabis!

Men, you are more than welcome to participate but please lets keep this a civil and supportive raunchy free zone

To get the ball rolling let’s use this format:
When did you start growing and why?
What is your favorite strain?
What is your preferred method of consumption?
If you could pick up a new skill in an instant, what would it be?
What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard?
What is your biggest obstacle?
What is your personal pet peeve?

Feel free to add anything else you would like to discuss

@G-paS @MBSeeds @Sativaindica @Meesh

11 Likes

I’ll go 1st

When did you start growing and why?
In May of 1988 I set my 1st cannabis seed into soil with the guidance of a few of my uncles viewing it as a special right of passage into adulthood. It was a lot of fun traveling with them to Washington state to learn new techniques, being challenged not only as a female grower but as a person and not use my gender to fuck over men or cry wolf when I am just as capable……lessons I will never forget.
In December of 1998 my daughter was born and I believed that I could keep growing though soon paranoia struck that she would be taken from me if anyone ever found out….I hung up my gardening gloves in April of 1999 though continued to purchase from others which continually decreased as I opted for motherhood having 2 more children in 2001 and 2008
In September of 2011 I caught my daughter self-medicating with cannabis and thought she was simply experimenting though soon it became apparent she was using it to help her control her emotions. I didn’t understand her type of mental illness and made matters worse by treating her like a criminal so she didn’t use it as a crutch thinking I was doing the “right” thing. She quickly spiraled out of control and had to find a way to keep her safe from herself…….In 5 yrs, she had 4 short term hospitalizations, 2 temporary therapeutic foster homes, 3 long term hospitalizations, continuous therapy appts and a whole slew of medications later I lost my vibrant, outgoing, imaginative little girl unable to recognize the zombie she had become doing things the “morally right” way
In July of 2016 I put my gardening gloves back on to reteach myself how to grow so I can actually help my daughter when she came home instead of hurting her…just after my 1st harvest, she turned 18 and discharged herself against medical advice. While she was completing the paperwork they called me to let me know what was happening and told me they had no choice but to bring her to the closest homeless shelter….I freaked out then sold that crappy harvest with a bunch of iou’s, had her back home in a little less than 24 hrs and promised to never ever take away the only thing that helped her in all that time. Unfortunately, she followed the same taboo thinking and couldn’t get over smoking around mom so we made a deal that whatever I harvest, she will get half of but she has to help me harvest , only use enough to medicate when she has things to do leaving recreation use for fun and only share with friends that share in return. She is off of all prescription medication, no longer a zombie and is the happiest that I have seen her since she was 10 taking hold of the reigns she was given being a woman being born into a very strong family of women……it was also that year that I discovered that I didn’t have to be in physical pain all the time without prescription narcotics due to the amazing pain relieving affects

What is your favorite strain?
I don’t have one as they all have a time and place to be enjoyed after all, variety is the spice of life!
What is your preferred method of consumption?
Smoking though have been getting into medibles more and more.

If you could pick up a new skill in an instant, what would it be?
I don’t really know as I continue to challenge myself

What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard?
Remember your past, plan for the future but live in the moment and always, always give respect as we are all in different moments in the different stages of life

What is your biggest obstacle?
Accepting compliments

What is your personal pet peeve?
It’s a tie between: Leaving empty containers in fridge/cabinets and talking with mouth full

27 Likes

Great story, lots of life lessons.

Wishing the OG ladies all the best!

12 Likes

Best of luck keeping this thread on track, and I say this with zero sarcasm and the best intentions.

13 Likes

We all give/receive support in different ways and don’t mind some deviation especially if/when things get intense as they sometimes do as long as the main thing stays intact = support… Nothing ventured, nothing gained :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

We’ll help moderate, when/as requested, to keep this on track this time around.

10 Likes

If any ladies on this site ever feel uncomfortable with a mans messages on this site… Just let me know. I’d be happy to help solve any problems very quickly…

12 Likes

You guys are amazing! Not just you guys but i’d venture to say the majority of the men on OG…very helpful, courteous, friendly and kind yet lay it all out there when the opportunity arises in a playful sort of way and reel it in as necessary. Mutual respect for the love of the plant :kissing_heart:

13 Likes

Great post, and amazing read!! Thanks for sharing this with us. Best of luck!!

Happy Growing,
OB

6 Likes

just FYI, I’ve always liked this research about women’s traditional role as herbalists from Wendy Chapkis, professor at Univ. Maine:

http://www.alternet.org/story/85205/how_pot_became_demonized%3A_the_fine_line_between_good_medicine_and_'dangerous_drugs'/

In Colonial America and the early republic, health and healing practices also rested largely in the hands of lay women practicing herbal medicine. Historian Carol Smith-Rosenberg observes that “women as midwives and as family nurses, women wise in the ancient herbal pharmacopoeia, had always cared for their own and neighboring families. A survey of cookbooks and women’s diaries for the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries shows that women collected and exchanged recipes for medicines as routinely as they did for pies and cookies.”

5 Likes

This book covers how the professions & their guilds help herd us.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51bJYGuha3L.SX348_BO1,204,203,200.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41xYWmRib9L.SY373_BO1,204,203,200.jpg

:evergreen_tree: oops. wrong bathroom, sorry!

4 Likes

Great finds guys! Sometimes I like to look back on literature and compare to society today… a lot has changed

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roll call: ladies

‘Sisters doing it for themselves’.:tropical_drink::clinking_glasses::woman_in_lotus_position:

Great read and rammed full of info. How many terrabytes is your brain? Like 50tb. :wink:

3 Likes

Mine? Oh I dunno just lots of life experiences :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Quite the interesting life then it seems.

Your a credit to this site.:seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::fire::fire::fire::fire:

3 Likes

Here are a couple great instructional books written way before their time

On Habits and Manners written in 1903

Brownlee System of Child training written in 1905

How it feels to be the husband of a suffragette written in 1915

…the more things change. the more they stay the same

5 Likes

Well, I’ve thrown a few illegal bag seeds in the ground in the back yard a few times in my years, but never did anything but water them. No concept of nutrients, soil, proper curing, harvest times etc… I started growing for real in the spring this year when California legalized recreational marijuana and started to implement it. The tax they have thrown on cannabis is so high now (even for medical users) that I would come home from the dispensary just livid at the price. I had hoped the legalization would help rid us of the Mexican Cartel, instead of making it so expensive that it is cheaper off the black market. So, my Dad and I decided that I should just grow our weed as a literal “Fuck You” to the Man! lol It helps Dad manage aches and pains and helps with my anxiety and depression, so we bought 12 clones. Which I screwed up all but 5, so we decided to buy some Auto seeds to make up for the yield we lost. Interestingly enough, the second I saw that first seedling emerge from the soil, I was in love. I’ve always loved MJ that’s a given, but suddenly I was in love with growing everything and anything and have since dug up almost my entire backyard which I am chronicling in a thread here called Backyard Soil Rejuvenation Project.

Currently, my favorite strain is Blue Dream. I have found sativa dominant hybrids to work best on my anxiety and depression. Oddly enough, all the gardening, that the medical weed started is mostly managing my anxiety and depression and I am smoking less and less every day lol

Smoking, most definitely. Never have felt comfortable with edibles as it’s too hard to control the dose. My brain has become very finicky when it comes to strains in the past 5 years or so as well and can kick my anxiety/depression into high gear if I’m not careful

Not sure, but certainly something artistic and creative. I’m more logical and math brained, so it would really round me out.

Best advice besides LITFA? lol Is what I call a Dadism (One of many wise words from my Dad) and that is “Patience takes Practice”. Best freaking advice I’ve ever gotten and I remember it every time I’m feeling antsy and impatient.

Myself of course! Isn’t it always? Sometimes, being a single Woman, from a financial standpoint. It’s hard maintaining my house alone.

OMG, I could roll out a list. Number one is haters! Bigots, racists, sexists, homophobes etc… and another biggie is people who speed in parking lots. I really want to throat punch them. lol

7 Likes

Thank you for participating Meesh :hugging: It isn’t easy putting it out there though we all start somewhere and helps to understand where each of us is coming from. I think its awesome you are so close to your dad…my mom is my best friend :heart_eyes:

Gardening is very therapeutic… nothing in this world like it! Something about grounding oneself playing in soil then nurturing a life form that is somewhat fragile yet cannot speak so we learn a whole new language - can you tell spring is my favorite time of year? lol

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I’m 46, but Daddy’s girl for life! We are very close. My mom and I, not so much unfortunately. I envy your friendship with your mom.

I can not wait for spring!!! Although, being in Southern Cali has it’s perks as far as growing seasons, I have hundreds of newly planted flower bulbs that I can’t wait to see “Spring” into action! :seedling::tulip::smile:

5 Likes