Worst hyped strains you have grown

Of the “keeper” Tangies I’ve smoked I’d said none of them were any good. Very weak smoke with a slight taste is what they all had in common the bag appeal is fine. The last guy rolled a joint of Tangie and Skywalker OG so “we could get high after the Tangie”

11 Likes

It’s been said by I think shanti?
Was looking for a good representation few years back and at thought old stock.
The remake may be very good but had tried this strain in mid nineties from a guy that got them from sensi but wanted to try more shantibaba, so I decided to go with sensi but when i went to buy I noticed the percentage of sativa had recently shot up by i think 15%.
Sensi had just bought out Flying Dutchmen, I remember at the time or just before the time, they have done that because of there haze and secondly there skunk.
Both where very unworked and inbreeding haze apparently led to catpiss.
I think that’s one of the reasons Neville crossed it to nl5 and the hybrid vigour plus resin production and shortened flowering time.

5 Likes

I have only had the retail DNA Sour Tangie grown in eastern Canada and love the flavor and definitely worked. I have tried many other sour tangies but didn’t like any of them.

5 Likes

Yeah if you have a high tolerance and tend to smoke kush then there is no doubt tangie is pretty weak in comparison.
It’s just the smell of it that gets me. It’s one of those strains that I wouldn’t grow for my own stash, and probably not for others either, but somehow it has to be possible to fix that aroma into something more potent, it kinda feels like a strain that is only half finished…

11 Likes

Total agreement re Tangie.

7 Likes

At first glance, Cali Connection seemed to be pretty sought after. Now, after growing out their purple diesel, I decided to dig deeper and have found tons of people having loads of issues with all their gear. I have 3 hard hermied plants out of 6…picking balls daily (sounds painful) and veg/hay smell. 2 plants out of 6 are pretty airy and no real smell (veg smell or hay’ish). The 1 plant out of 6 that didnt throw 1 ball sac, has good crystal production and smells slightly diesely will be my keeper for now. Good for stealth growing as I haven’t had to use my carbon filter yet. But was expecting something better. Lesson learned.

12 Likes

Comacus and I both have got good x’s of calicons ogk but it was an off the grid one also.
I had all kinds of them all I have left now is
Ww x ogk
And
Thunderbud x ogk

So far every cali connection seed I’ve grown has either died out right after sprouting or turned into a crap plant. Waiting on jupitor og that seems to be a fail also. In contrast I started 8 of my own strain and a skywalker at the same time, all germed fine except the cali con seed. I was warned about swerves breeding but thought I’d check for my self.

6 Likes

FWIW, I heard the crew responsible for Jupiter OG only ever released sub-par versions of the cut so they would not dilute their own brand. If so, any seeds from an S1 of the released cuts might be equally inferior. Hopefully I’m wrong, though.

2 Likes

Don’t forget S1’s is a crapshoot

3 Likes

Right, so it’s a double crap shoot.

Not good odds, IMHO

2 Likes

I agree and dont believe near as many people who claim to have og actualy do, it was a free fem seed with a past order so thought I’d give her a shot but it grew half way and died .

4 Likes

IMO, when working with clones/fems:
S1 < BX < IX

I’d generally rather see a strain outcrossed and back/incrossed than selfed… especially if you have good similar candidates for doing the outcrossing. Not only do you get regular plants, but you also get to make a selection.

12 Likes

I have had a couple of cracks at offerings from Cali Connection and found their prices to be nearly offensive for the standard of weed I ended up with, and to make matters even more annoying I ended up only getting about 50% germination rates. Two packs I grew out of whatever it was were all over the shop and among the very few strains I have grown out where I didn’t even bother to make any more seeds even for the sake of banking them in the freezer. Could have just been shitty luck or old seeds… but I won’t be getting any more Cali Connection seeds.

5 Likes

It is a crapshoot if the mother plant was not stabilized, which hardly ANY of the commercial breeders seem to do anymore… otherwise it will often get you closer to the original faster than via other methods. Though obviously it’s fems all the way with this approach.

2 Likes

…didn’t know that…who’s got the real nl5/hazeA?..or haze for that matter.

6 Likes

That seems sketchy to me. All the same cut? How does that even make sense?

7 Likes

Very possible…like I think chem might be closely

1 Like

That is odd to read as I have grown all three and they are distinctively different in many ways, esp the diesal. Maybe different phenos of the same breeding but idk about that either. Diesal has a pretty well documented origin history. Comes from the east coast guy named joe I do beleive.

4 Likes

I get what your saying…but I’m thinking maybe just genetic drift…hell OG did it…right…

1 Like