Zephyr grows and creates

another batch of hash from the ethiopian paintbrush x omg strawberry pheno.

The live plants have a very strong fresh strawberry smell, like perfectly ripe strawberries and a note of tart green strawberry.

The dried bud smells like strawberry PEZ candy, unripe strawberry, and a hint of basil and thyme. The flower hits nice and smooth.

Mainly I have been making concentrate. This one doesn’t extract as cleanly for live resin but it makes excellent hash (as pictured) from the dried bud.

The concentrate tastes like a slightly unripe strawberry (tart not sour) with a stronger herbal note of thyme and basil, and a little gasoline dank in the nose on the exhale.

The highs are very interesting.

It doesn’t always reveal its secrets but when it does, it’s absolutely amazing. The experience can be very different each time you use it, making it a bit hard to pin down.

It’s complex and subtle. It’s got potency- the medicinal effect is almost instantaneous.

but the cerebral high creeps up on you. at first you get a very gentle relaxed meditative afghani type effect. Floaty pillowy vibes. But after a while the heady effects start to creep in, especially if you continue to indulge. Then after a while, it picks up and you begin to feel the sativa effects whooshing in.

At that point, the high can kind of take off in any direction. Sometimes it remains laid back. Sometimes it gets the heart racing. Sometimes there’s a pleasant exhilerated sense of paranoia. Sometimes that’s as far as it goes, sometimes it goes all the way into mild psychedelic territory and gets real out there. Sometimes instead of the psychedelics, it takes a left turn and leaves you hypnotized and useless like some kind of floating couchlock.

This one is special. The wildcard aspect that I get from the high really encourages you to smoke more and go further into the experience because you don’t know where the next bowl will take you.

It doesn’t always give you that peak psychedelic experience of its high, but it’s excellent every time. The fact that it gives you different experiences is pretty special. My situation and setting is the same every time, but somehow this one pheno can give me a variety of highs.

I need to get some more opinions on this one. The ethiopian seems to target my medical needs very precisely, so I seem to get some particularly special effects from these.

But so far, the feedback from a friend who only smokes the cheapest dispensary bud was: “It’s really good. I feel great. I haven’t been this high in like a year.”

And the feedback from a friend who has only taken edibles for the past few years was: “woah… WOAH! goddamnit this is why I miss smoking!”

And my smoke report is that I hit it at the beginning of writing this, and I feel like I had better finish writing this now before it really ramps up. haha

20 Likes

I know what you’re talking about with that “I’m not sure what to expect every time I smoke this, but I like it no matter how it makes me feel”-type of high haha. I’ve actually been experiencing that myself with that Bandaid Haze “Church” lately, kind of felt a little paranoid but also relaxed (if that makes any sense) the last couple times I blazed it, not too sure what to make of that.

Anyway… Strawberry sounds good! Haha. You don’t find something like that too often. Or I never have, anyway. I think there’s probably a lot of good and interesting stuff to be found in those OMG crosses, if only people would grow them… haha.

10 Likes

I also got really strong strawberry smells from the Goji OG f2 Razz x OMG testers. All 3 females smelled like different blends of vanilla ice cream, chopped up strawberries, and lime juice. The taste was pure vanilla ice cream on the inhale with strawberry and lime on the exhale.

That’s one of the things I noticed with the OMG hybrids in general, very strong complex smell and flavor, and noticeably different flavors coming out on the exhale.

I’ve really loved both of these OMG strains. Wish I had gotten more of them while they were available. I think the only other ones I have are the cherry queen (fat cherry afghani x omg) and dread bread (mango biche x omg).

I’m pretty excited about the cherry queen because of the stone fruit smells I got in a lot of the ethiopian omg phenos.

I hope bodhi will revisit his OMG selections at some point and find a new male or female. It sounded like he did a lot of line work with that afghani to select that original, there must be more good stuff to find in that work.

12 Likes

Interesting. Have you done a Beams test to determine if there’s significant CBD present?

LOL to both. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It’s so funny you mention that! I’ve been hitting the Church flower rosin from the same anonymous benefactor and it gives me almost that exact same feeling. Physically extremely relaxed but emotionally uneasy. I don’t know if I like it, overall!

:sun_with_face:

8 Likes

I wonder how much your soil mix has to do with that.

I think it’s just the way the planets are aligned right now… haha! I’m joking, but maybe??? Haha…

Honestly, for the Church nugs that I’ve been smoking, I think that’s just where they’re at now in the “cure.” It happens all the time (and you know this), but shit just changes the longer it’s in jars. Or plastic pill bottles haha. Whatever they’ve been stored in… Right now, it seems like they’re in the “edgy” portion of the cure.

In any event, I’m back on that #2 Chocolate Blitz now haha. I was blazing the BAH (and other stuff) for the last week or so, then smoked some of the Choco Blitz last night. Swear to gawd, I’m not even joking, that shit’s gonna save my life.

I think it must have something to do with that A5Thai male that Doc uses, because the few crosses I’ve grown/smoked of those… Drinking? Done. Smoking cigarettes? Done. Eating healthy and being happy? Yes. I’m looking forward to seeing how those Temple x A5Thai plants smoke, really hoping they turn out the same way.

13 Likes

I don’t think I’m up to that kind of home chemistry.
it would be cool to know what the exact cannabinoid contents are though. I’m still looking for a local lab that offers testing services to consumers.

From this info in @dirtwizard’s post it looks like the ethiopian banana may have had a 1:1 thc to cbd ratio with a much higher total cannabinoid content implying a lot of trace cannabinoids.

I’m not certain if this is really the same cut selected by bodhi along with the ethiopian paintbrush and ethiopian spider.
(I don’t think he released any testers from the spider, but I did get a spider structure plant which put out crazy branching that twisted into other plants like a creeper vine. that was #5 of the ethiopian banana omg. I’m hoping to find another like it in these f2s)

12 Likes

Another batch of hash made from
Ken Estes berry larry pheno #4
(goji og x [larry og x granddaddy purple])

this batch really retained the dank smell. it’s pretty strong just opening the jar, and you can really taste it.

The bl4 doesn’t seem to be working as well right now for my current symptoms, but I still love it. It’s worth it for the dankness, the quality of the extracts, and the now-antiquated berry bush OG structure with lots of small dense buds.

For a minute there thought I was going to lose the cut, but at the last second it pulled through and rooted for me. I’m keeping it at least until I finish the ethiopian afghani breeding project. It’s nice having something herbal and dank to pair with the fruity resin of the ethiopian afghani.

16 Likes

Herbal you say… I highly suspect terpenes are linked with cannabinoids.

They’re likely scent indicators of what cannabinoids the plant produces.
So far every plant I’ve grown that smells herbal and bitter was high or moderately high in CBD.

So perhaps Myrcene might indicate the presence of CBD?

4 Likes

A couple grams of ethiopian paintbrush afghani Cherry pheno concentrate.

The ethiopian afghani concentrates often separate into two different textures- crystals and sticky oily resin. The color isn’t really that dark, it’s like a big blob of translucent amber. And this is another batch where the shatter came out with a pink hue.

I’ve been consistently using one or more of my 3 clone phenos for my meds for quite a while now. I just went a couple days betwen hash batches without the ethiopian afghani for the first time in about a year. It’s just crazy how much this line has improved my quality of life. My coordination and muscle cramps and spasms were much worse, and I ended up with a very bad migraine after just 2 days. Now that I’ve been using it again for 2 days I’m back to normal.

Very medicinal. When used in small doses, it gives me transparent pain relief and stops cramps and spasms. Also helps a lot with my coordination and balance.

For strictly medicinal use the dose is about a quarter of the size of a grain of rice. I can use that every 2 hours and be medicated for my muscle function and baseline pain levels without getting high.

That’s very useful for me to have that option. although that’s basically my minimum need to remain phsycially functional to move around outside the house. (and often isn’t enough depending on my symptoms or if I have any specific injuries.)

Higher doses bring it into psychedelic territory, and you can go pretty far with it. Very happy, very thoughtful, plenty of energy but doesn’t prevent me from sleeping.

20 Likes

Sounds lovely glad you found something that helps with your needs that pink hue hash looks neat can’t wait till I find a line that works great medically for me and deep dive into it to find some special gals

6 Likes

I’m experimenting with an early harvest for my meds this grow cycle to see if I can pull some different medicinal qualities out of these same mothers.

Usually I let the ethiopians get very very ripe until they stop foxtailing and the foxtails ripen. By then the colas turn gold, and only the foxtails stay green.

This time I’m just waiting until the frost levels are at their peak, and chopping then not waiting for amber, orange pistils, or for the buds to bulk out completely.

Chopping this early, I’m getting a lot of nice green fan leaves for juice making.

The whole plants are being used for live resin fresh frozen concentrates.

I’m just stripping all the non-resinous leaf, and chopping the buds into huge mason jars for freezing.

So far the best result is the ethiopian paintbrush x omg “Cherry” pheno. Very sweet flavor, large yield. It has the same pain relief with a much more pronounced body high, I feel it gently easing the muscle tension around my joints after taking a hit. More energetic. Not as psychedelic with an early chop, but good meds.

17 Likes

This early chop was also necessary to get the timing right for the next cycle of the ethiopian breeding project, so I can flower the next male when it is at peak health. With the females flowering so much slower than the males, it has been difficult to get the timing right with the growth rates of my female mothers and the male cuts that I have been keeping.

13 Likes

That’s interesting. I mean, as far as everything I’ve read, the longer you wait to harvest, the higher the likelihood of the high being “heavier” or whatever. Anyway, yeah… interesting… haha.

10 Likes

This body high is much different than a heavy sinking into the couch indica body effect.

It’s more like… a refreshing liquidy zen feeling.

I’m so zen I’m like a human haiku right now.
I don’t really know what that means, but it’s accurate. hahaha

here’s a picture of the concentrate

16 Likes

Hahaha… Fucking hell, zephyr, I love you so much. If I ever decide to bounce from this site, let’s be sure to keep in touch. I don’t wanna lose contact with you.

This is my favorite haiku (I have, admittedly, not read too many haikus):

“Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave”

Kind of the opposite of what you’re talking about haha, but I still love that one.

Yeah, that sounds super-cool. I hope a few of the Banana Soap seedlings work out, very curious to see how those smoke.

9 Likes

For the past 3-4 years I didn’t have enough function in my hands to keep up with shucking. Finally my dexterity is a little better recently and I’ve been able to make some progress. I have a massive backlog of seeded bud to get through.

anyway, someone needs to admire my trim job on this whispy lebanese from 2021.

(the photos are less blurry if you open them in a new tab.)

This is very leafy landrace bud and I gave it the full ‘san francisco’ trim- no leaf at all. Seeing these now, I can’t believe I put that much work into this. But it was worth it, the bud is incredible and it looks like nothing else.

This is a black pheno of my lebanese pink selection. while it was alive it had bright pink pistils, and was solid purple with a little bit of bright green at the center of the buds. This also had my favorite structure for the lebanese- a short round bush with about 8 big tops made of loose whispy bud.

Here’s what the tops look like in their natural form. Chunky, leafy, but loose enough to tolerate the heavy fall rains without rot.

This pheno was seeded with the original china cangshan males. It was very tough to make this cross because the lebanese is my earliest finisher, and it was actually ready to harvest by the time the cangshan males started to preflower.

Fortunately the lebanese foxtails after it’s ripe, so I was able to get some nice seeds from thos foxtail tips. I had to keep this plant alive and healthy until around thanksgiving to get any ripe seeds. By the time I harvested, the whole plant was solid black. I’ve only had one other plant that purpled all the way to black. Really impressive looking.

After 3 years in the jar, these buds look crazy. Deep black and gold with a hint of white at the base of the tiny calyxes. The smell is great. Dry wood, chocolate, rich malty beer, oregano, thyme, dried cranberry.

The high is excellent. Very relaxing easy feeling meditative happiness. And it hits very smooth and mild. Dank smelling smoke, old school hashy herbal mildly sweet flavor.

Between the color and the structure, this lebanese/chinese hybrid should be crazy. These strains are polar opposite, and yet they have some surprising similarities. The short thick colas and low multi-topped bush structure is opposite from the chinese long sparse spear shaped sativa buds. But they both have notes of cocoa, dried cranberry, and black tea. And they are both amazing producers of trace cannabinoids with a surprising level of potency considering their relatively low thc content. So it should be some crazy hybrid vigor, good potential for trace cannabinoid production, with a lot of similarity in the aromas to reinforce those aspects of the terpene profile.

Not an easy plant to shuck- teeny tiny seeds in teeny tiny calyxes.
As I shucked it, all the unseeded calyxes just kind of popped off of the stems. So now I have a nice jar full of lebanese calyxes to smoke. For scale, these calyxes are much smaller than a grain of rice.

normally I don’t post this many bud pictures, just the best one or two shots. but I’m definitely going to be posting more of these photos because it’s just so cool looking. The rest need to be resized.

20 Likes

A seed shucking nightmare.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this great news, I’m excited about seeing this new hybrid unfold!

3 Likes

continuing with the 2021 outdoor shucking.

@tejas here’s that selah 1970s washington heirloom outdoor line you were asking about. @Pawsfodocaws thanks again for letting me grow these.

It was a very very quick finisher. I crossed it to the cangshan as well. it was difficult to get ripe seeds from it because the selah’s early and short flowering cycle didn’t line up at all with the late and long flowering chinese sativa.

Of course, that was the whole point of making this hybrid. I think the hybrid has a lot of potential to shorten the cangshan flowering time and provide some very unique medicinal and reacreational effects from this old black market heirloom. And it should be incredibly hardy for outdoor growing in tough climates.

Nice chunky dark green old school bud. I think the bud will look much better than this when grown sinsemilla.

The resin cured to red/brown which is unusual. With a 3 year cure, most modern hybrid genetics look about the same, and sativa heirlooms usually cure to gold.

Old school herbal funky dank smell. really weird. Smells like goats, forest soil, strong head shop incense, celery, plastic, and parsley.

The resin has a dry sandy feel to it. It will be interesting to see if it makes good concentrates from the dried bud. The live resin had a great high but the fresh plant material didn’t extract cleanly. I’ll have to see what the high is like after I make the hash, it’s been a while since I was smoking the live resin I made when I harvested these.

13 Likes

Thanks for the update. Do you recall how quickly they finished?

4 Likes