Zephyr grows and creates

One thing that I noticed with the Lebanese is that they flower so quickly that it’s hard to mature seeds on them. The Blue Hemp Lebanese I’ve also grown had stated flower time of 46 days, and it wasn’t an exaggeration either. Maybe 50 days at best. None of my seeds were especially matured either, and I pollinated as early as I could.

4 Likes

that is definitely true about the lebanese. The flowers are usually so ripe that I need to harvest the plants with %30 or more of the seeds still unripe. And of the seeds that are ripe, usually about %10 are so ripe that they have dropped out of the plant by the time you harvest.

In some ways this is a cool landrace self propagation trait, but it makes it tough to harvest a full haul of ripe healthy seeds.

11 Likes

Guava update-

chopped the male last monday, there was hardly anything left, completely used up. Very quick flower cycle and finish for the male, which is cool because I like that this strain finishes quickly and I want to retain that trait in the offspring. This stuff makes a good harvest very fast.

Here are some photos of the females and quick description of the smell of the resin from each one.

These are the two female f2’s from the guava B cut. From this small sample size, it looks like the purple trait seen in the B mother is dominant in the offspring. Very similar structure to the mother. Very good resin production on the buds.

This one has a sweet fruity smell, pretty much straight up strawberry.

This one has a mild overripe fruit smell.

These are the two female f2’s from the guava F cut. These are a real surprise. The mother was a little bit sparse with small but extremely dense buds. These have larger colas and a denser branching structure. The real surprise was the smell. These are both really pungent and loud.

This one smells strongly of onions, I’ve never grown anything that smelled like this before. Really pungent, somewhere between a pickled cocktail onion and a fresh white onion. I’m very excited to try this one.

This one also has a funky allium smell. It’s different though. This one smells more like garlic and lemon or lemongrass, and some additional funky spices I can’t pin down.

These are a real surprise because the guava F cut smells like toast with a bitter chemical note. It’s a complex smell, but I would describe its intensity as only mildly dank. Its real strength was excellent resin production, potency, and dense keefy flowers.
I guess the bitter smell kind of hinted at that potential for funky dank smells. When it was grown from seed its structure was more similar to the f2’s than this one grown from clone.
Here is a picture of the F cut currently in flowering.

Same mild toasty smell with a hint of bitter chemicals, as always.

Not sure how much longer I will keep this one. Clearly it makes good offspring, but with it’s mild bitter flavor it’s not the most exciting thing to smoke. On the other hand, the buds are coated in resin and get keef everywhere when you handle them. Maybe a few more cycles…

24 Likes

@zephyr it’s looking AMAZING in here! Got me reading and thinking! Blessings!!!

8 Likes

Thanks Zion! I usually don’t document my grows from start to finish, or take this many photos,
so it’s really cool to get some positive feedback and to hear that it’s been informative.

I’ll try to keep up this level of documentation.

9 Likes

quick guava update-

Looks like both of the Guava “F” f2 females are ready for harvest. I’ll try to get some good photos of the harvest. I’m chopping these first thing tomorrow morning.

In terms of harvest timing, these seeded females are ready on 11/17, and started flowering on 10/1. that’s 48 days. Pretty quick for seeded bud.

If I had been growing these sinsemilla, they would have been ready to harvest around november 9th. So for sinsemilla, I’d estimate I could harvest these guava “F” f2 females in just over 40 days.

By my standards, that’s blazingly fast.

When I checked on the plants today I actually found that one branch on each of them had a small bud which had died off. Specifically, it looks like the only 2 branches that I missed when I was cleaning the pollen off of the female plants. These were the 2 dirtiest buds.

I pulled those sections, and found that the die-off was caused by dropped male flowers trapped inside the buds. The buds are crazy dense. They had been quite healthy as recently as a day and a half ago, but as soon as they were fully ripe and ready to die off, they immediately decayed because of being in contact with the dead plant matter of the old male pods. No indication of mold or anything, just overripe plant matter that died off.

This strain is particularly efficient in dying as soon as it is fully ripe, especially when seeded. This is a lot like what Lefthand was talking about earlier, another case of buds that ripen faster than the seeds.

It makes harvest timing kind of difficult.

Looks like the f2s from the guava “B” aren’t quite ready yet.

10 Likes

That’s quite the short time frame looking forward to having a few in the garden nice switch from the long flowering Sativa’s .

4 Likes

Outdoor-
I finished harvesting my outdoor at the end of the first week in november. I still have about 7 trays and platters full of dry outdoor buds waiting to be trimmed. It may be dry enough to go straight into jars. I don’t usually do a dry trim with outdoor plants, unless they are very very healthy.

This was my female lineup-
Guava B clone
strayfox care package
lebanese sinatra f1 (dank sinatra f1 x lebanese)
lebanese sinatra f2 “donut shop”
2017 lebanese “pink”
2017 lebanese “green”
original RSC Lebanese stock

These are all open pollinated by my 2017 preservation lebanese “pink” and lebanese “green” males.

And to clarify my notation, the “pink” and “green” are the names of the 2 selected 2017 mothers that had the most desirable growth characteristics for outdoor growing in the U.S.

The “green” had green buds with some albino coloration and orange pistils. The smell was hoppy and citrusy, almost exactly like an ipa beer. in the background there are hints of plain yogurt and wood glue.

The “pink” had green buds with iridescent pink pistils. The smell was like figs, cedar, and a hint of tart red berries, possibly cranberry.

I lost one of the care package plants to mildew, total loss. I didn’t try to save it because I had enough healthy flawless plants it just wasn’t worth it.

The other care packages were completely untouched by the mildew and totally healthy.

I had minor spots of environmental bud rot on the lebanese sinatra f2 donut shop plants because the buds were too dense. It was easy to remove unhealthy buds as problems showed up, so the plants stayed pretty healthy over all.

Everything finished pretty well.

I’ll post some brief smoke reports soon. Most of it still needs to cure for while, but the stuff that I harvested in mid october was ready to sample.

16 Likes

guava F f2 chop

some quick harvest photos for the “F” mother f2’s. As an aside, I’m never using letters for plant labels again. “F” f2 is too many f’s, but it’s too late to change it now.

Both females were vining all over the place, woven through the other plants trying to find the best light. The buds are uncommonly dense, and the vining didn’t cause any problems. I’m really ok with this trait if it helps me get better yields in an overcrowded tent with too much light competition.

I turn the lights off the night before harvest, the basic goal is to keep the powerful CMH from cooking off the volatile oils.

This is the onion smelling F female on the left. Currently trimming this one. The onion smell is still there but it’s a little less intense. Now it’s more like an equal blend of garlic and rose.

This is the spicy smelling F female on the right.

I left a couple lower branches on each plant. More details to follow.

20 Likes

surprise lebanese guava seedlings in my windowsill cactus

I dropped a few guava x lebanese seeds on the ground and then accidentally stepped on them. Thought they were damaged, so I just tossed them into this potted plant as compost.
Suddenly 2 healthy seedlings popped out of the moss this morning.

I transplanted these into solo cups, they will be grown indoors and flowered sinsemilla.

I’ll be running a few cycles sinsemilla this winter for some much needed indoor meds.

16 Likes

You had me at Lemon cake and crispy creams lol
Nice thread and very intriguing strain.

3 Likes

Those plants are gorgeous. That is such a strange leaf and bud structure! How do they smoke?

Incredible job on growing those!

5 Likes

Thanks eudamon!
They hit a little bit harsh compared to modern worked strains, but they have interesting complex smells, and a truly unique perspective altering psychedelic high.

It’s low in thc (around 12%), so it’s not conventionally potent, but the psychedelic perspective shift is excellent. almost shroomy.

The lebanese can also create very unique experiences when paired with other kinds of hash or flower. A bowl of lebanese can really alter the high in unique ways, it really seems to interact with other strains as I smoke.

The lebanese also makes very nice smooth and flavorful concentrates.

9 Likes

I’m super interested in trying that smoke sometime. I had a shroomy sativa once, same kind of visuals and headspace, so I know the possibility is there! It just blew me away when I experienced it.

3 Likes

I harvested the guava f2 B’s on thanksgiving. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos, usually when I see ripe buds I just start hacking away. Sometimes I can’t help myself.

Here’s a photo of guava f2 B #2, from the back of the tent. Very purple, very dense.

That cola branch is the size of my forearm (from my elbow to my wrist)

So that was 58 days, but the buds were super over ripe. This was necessary to get ripe seeds from these. As I have said before, these are not easy to make seeds with because the buds ripen way faster than the seeds.

If these had been sinsemilla, they would have been ready by around 48 days at most. With this late harvest, the fruity smell is gone completely. They now smell like gasoline, with hints of cream, and the same sweet agave like smell of the hash from the B mother plant.

In this round I had 2 from mother F and 2 from mother B. The f2 b’s were both similar, and resembled their mother very closely. The f2 f’s were both similar, but they didn’t resemble the mother very closely.

I think I will grow a couple more f2s sinsemilla for my medical grows this winter, should be a quick and medicinal harvest and it will tell me a bit more about the uniformity of the phenotypes produced by my two mother plants.

I may also grow a few of the gifts received from overgrow members in this round of sinsemilla. Not sure what yet, but I’m planning for quick indica dominant strains. Should be a good way to test a few things before jumping into breeding and hybrids.

Now may be a good time to test my guava x paonia purple paralyzer hybrid, made with pollen from lefthandseeds and genetics from hashtree.

16 Likes

guava f2 b #1 smoke report

Smells like gas, cream, and mango. Almost like dim sum mango pudding. There are other hints of funky intense dankness, kind of like lakeside or wetland vegetation.

When you start breaking it up you smell passionfruit. The flavor of the smoke on the inhale is strong passionfruit. There are additional hints of gas, cream, and caramel. The exhale has a very strong flavor and pleasant lingering aftertaste of passionfruit and mango.

Reminds me of my all time favorite beverage, passionfruit and mango juice squeeze.

RIP, Juice Squeeze 1996 - 2015
rest in peace. Or, Recycle In Perpetuity.

This was the purple plant at the front right hand side of the tent, which smelled like strawberries through most of flowering, and smelled like gas at harvest.

This bud is very sticky (to the point that it is difficult to handle), and very dense but almost soft. Moisture content is a little high compared to my usual cured indoor bud, but we have had over %80 humidity for weeks, and it hits perfectly.

The high on this one is really fun. Hits with a ‘whoosh’ sensation, resulting in immediate pain relief. Sedative, but mentally alert. There is a vague feeling of excitement. Very psychoactive, psychedelic even. Relaxing, and happy. Prevents cramps and spasms, and improves coordination. This is just a great medical strain, all of these phenos are working for my needs.

The only medicinal shortcoming is that it does not help with migraines.

This one yielded pretty low, but the buds are dense and look great. I’m quite certain this plant could pull in excellent yields with careful training or topping to manage stretch and increase the number of tops.

20 Likes

Guava F1 cutting “F” harvest

Here’s a few quick photos of the guava F f1 clone harvest, seeded with a new batch of guava f2.

Not quite as many of the seeds are ripe on this one, but the buds aren’t as overripe and raggedy so I think this harvest timing was a good compromise. This is the first time that the guava F has shown any purple, so this expression is clearly a response to cool 64 degree temperatures at night. Same toast and black pepper smell with a strong bitter note of dankness.

Hey look, conjoined twins.

This cut always makes a ton of conjoined twins, triplets, and even quintuplets. The triplets and quintuplets look like a star anise pod. It’s hard to get a photo of the quintuplets because usually you only see twins poking out, the other three are deep inside the bud, and they often separate when you try to shuck them.

It’s a fun unique trait. This also makes 3 sided seeds, asymmetrical seeds, and some with a hull that wraps around the seed multiple times with an opening at the end, almost like a conch shell. It’s like instead of forming a seam, one half of the seed outgrew the other, and overlapped the smaller half.

Because my first round of f2 breeding was an open pollination, this outcome shows that the conjoined twin trait comes from the mother, and not one of the males from the first round of f2 breeding.

Do we have any where’s waldo fans?
Can any of you eagle eyed viewers spot the 6 sets of conjoined twins visible at the surface of this primary cola?

15 Likes

I just started a batch of seeds for some sinsemilla meds, and to test a few little seed starting experiments.

4x guava F open pollination f2s. Just put the first one in dirt. Here are a few closeups, this is one of the asymmetrical, many sided, conch shell type seeds. This was actually probably a conjoined quintuplet which was separated when I shucked it.

3x guava B open pollination f2s

1x 2017 pink lebanese - I accidentally burnt this seed while smoking a bowl of my lebanese recently. Must have missed it when I was shucking. It has just opened opened up, no taproot yet. Looks like the embers didn’t destroy the viability of the seed.

2x 2020 purple lebanese - this was a test germing fresh seeds. usually I have waited up to 2 months for the seeds to cure before germinating. One has popped so enthusiastically that it actually swam right out of the shell. The sprout is very pale at the moment, but sometimes they just need a little bit of light before they green up. the other hasn’t popped yet. I planted both, we’ll see what happens.

2x guava f2 B #1 ix - a test with very fresh seeds, only about 2 weeks since harvest. Nothing so far.

11 Likes

Lebanese guava seedlings, right before transplant to a ten gallon pot. Look at those chubby little leaves! Really nice fuzzy white root systems.

(guava f1 B clone x 2017 lebanese preservation open pollination)

13 Likes

The seeds bursting out of those buds are really gorgeous. I’m still dying to grow out my SSDD x Stardawg Guava. I won’t have time to run those anytime soon, and I was so excited, too, based on your grow and smoke reports of the Guava HP.

I wonder if anyone else would be interested in growing them out. I’m really curious what comes out. I’d like buttered muffin phenotype and a strong guava phenotype. That’d probably take two generations of selection, at least. Either way, you really inspired me to grow those out, eventually.

Edited to ask: Have you tried smoking seeded vs sinsemillia yet on that strain?

4 Likes