2023 Massachusetts Outdoor Growing

Thank you @ JohnnyPotseed for
the clarification.
Guess I’ve been lucky 'cause the MTA did it all for me. lol :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

A week later still looking okay.

2023-11-08_05a

2023-11-08_07a

I might take the tops down before the freeze Saturday morning.

9 Likes

It was 17F this morning.
Spent the last 6+ days trimming. cutting, drying and bagging,
Still have two plants drying. Hope to get 'em in bags by Friday.

Left a few branches outside and the buds look okay considering
the below freezing temps of late.

DSC_0001bb

DSC_0002bb

Borage is still going strong. Parsley too.
DSC_0003bb

DSC_0004bb
Sage lasts all winter. These plant are six years old now and still delicious.

I won’t worry too much about the frost if I am still here for next season.
Plants appear to have no problem in the cold. Got some hardy ladies here. lol

10 Likes

:cold_face:

I don’t know why I was so worried about even 30F, for about 3 days in a row end-of-October.

You’re inspiring me to put some balls on and buckle up for next season. Maybe I try an original haze or something just to see what happens.

Nice!

3 Likes

Hello @FieldEffect, I have to admit I chickened out this year and
harvested most plants by November 16th. They could have gone another week or more.
Check out the recommendation/comments from @Dirt_Wizard in this thread.
There are a bunch of cold weather sativa cultivars available.
Malana is one and you can see the results above in this thread.
I’ll be interested to see your grow next year.

2 Likes

Thanks for the mention, @sunra108 ! I’m a first timer this year at OD but careful genetic choices helped me a lot along with this dryer warmer fall. Malana was definitely a winner for around here and I think in general the high altitude Zomia strains that can handle cold and wet are great options for New England. Next year I will grow Malana again and also try some others still to be chosen, but definitely more landraces and heirloom OD strains, the ease of growing was well worth it.

I learned most of what I’ve gleaned about northern outdoor growing and strain selection for above 42N (I’m at 42.5 but the USDA hardiness zone band is right here a few miles away between 6a and 5b) from the following threads besides my own research on other forums and breeder websites:

Also of note, they updated the USDA zone map for 2023, first update since 2012 and it takes into consideration our wacky weather so it should be a bit more accurate than the older ones:

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/pages/map-downloads

4 Likes

Excellent threads @Dirt_Wizard! A veritable cornucopia of pertinent information.
Thanks for the links and for sharing your experience. Experience is invaluable!

I’m not sure about next year myself. I’d like to move to a rural area with some elevation,
preferably in western Massachusetts and explore more cold weather sativa cultivars as well as
continue to keep the Haze I’ve been growing for a few years.

I’ll be keeping an eye on your decisions for next year’s grow and think about
running a comparative grow although, my current location is in zone 6b a bit warmer
and longer season.

2 Likes

What sativa cultivars do you have in mind?

1 Like

Hello Rayman, I’d like to run a few cold weather landrace sativas.
Not concerned about where they are from just hope they are 100% local.
No hybrids.
I just soaked a few Kalamata Red beans hoping to do a seed run this year.
I’d be interested in other Greek sativa cultivars too.

I am not too fussy. Please let me know what interests you.
I have a few things to trade.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Some supply preorder deals to be aware of:

Sunra108
I grew Durban Poison, Power Plant and had great success. I live above the 45 and I think part of success involved a summer filled with rain and a warmer fall. I got so much good product that I was throwing branches in my compost pile with small flowers all over them. My pants were over 8-10 feet tall. I made a bunch of bubble hash and oil for easier storage.

Sativas are my favorite and of that, landraces. I prefer the racie feeling to the lathargic feeling Indicas tend to give.

2 Likes

Hey @Rayman good to hear you had a bountiful grow.
Durban Poison is enjoyed here,
Do you know the lineage?

Mostly I agree. I would replace “racie” with “trippy”, lol

What are you looking to get?

2 Likes

I’ve been doing a lot of work on making hardier, more resistant strains for our crappy tropical-mild climate, especially during mid and late flower ( I’m about 50 miles west of the Berkshires) the last couple years. If anyone in Mass would like to try some stuff out,.let me know and I’ll send you some!

8 Likes

Greetings @Rippleseeds,
Sounds interesting.
I’ve been doing something similar the past few years with
a predominately Train Wreck Haze project.
There are a few photos up at earlier parts of this thread.

I’m on the South Shore in MA. and not sure I will be here next year but,
I hope to stay in MA. when I move. (Looking for a place above 2,000ft.).

What genetics have you been working with?

3 Likes

Anyone need or want a 12x 5 gallon GroLid bucket hydro setup ready to hook up and run? This isn’t me and I don’t have the cash though I’d probably try the system if I did, someone should scoop this sweet deal in Western MA for some 2024 Massachusetts Indoor Growing:

4 Likes

That sounds on point! And coincidentally, Arcata Cut, some hazes, Malawi, BD Santa Cruz Cut, and a hunted pheno of Bodhi Old Soul have given me some good combos with some solid resistance, both in the Berkshires and here in the Catskills.

I love that you’re doing that, I would totally be down to compare notes. It’s amazing how much the weather has become more erratic than usual, and even in many ways different than 15, 20 years ago. Seems like this type of breeding is the right track to overcome it!

5 Likes

Nice line up you got there.

I agree totally. Definitely warmer for longer. Not necessarily hotter as we have had some very short Springs and a couple of not too many hot day Summers. I guestimate about a month longer growing season from 20+ years ago.

1 Like

That BD Santa Cruz x Orange Malawi sounds killer! I just had an offer of a pack of related seeds for next years outdoor from an OG, I’d love to run that next to your African Orange hybrid, I just grew Ortega Mix from FDM indoors which was Ortega x African Sherbet and it’s awesome bud! Rock hard indica but with some interesting Sherb and African terps in there. The pack I’m getting in for next summer OD is Equilibrium’s Birthday in Burma, Wedding Cake x Orange Burmese (Burmese x African Orange).

@sunra108,
I tried to reply to your comment about lineage but I was unable so I will make a disconnected reply and hope you see it.
The Durban Poison I grew originated with Dutch Passion. It had white flowers and grew tall.

2 Likes

Thanks for the lineage reply @Rayman
Cool, white flowers. I do not remember seeing white flowers.
And,

you enjoyed the smoke as well as the grow.

Got a pack of 80s Durban Poison from @LoveofLandrace along
with his other three offerings; KwaZulu, Lesotho and Pondoland Transkei.
Hope to start a few beans sometime in February.

1 Like