4th run: Hindu Kush & Orange Grove x GG4 RIL

I am currently giving her barely under a gal per day. Mine is deep in flower and it seems like there’s a hole in the bottom of the bag. lol

2 Likes

Now at week 5 of veg! Technically the end of week 5, as I start the week count after one full week from the drop, so 5 full weeks. Personally I think the plants are very small for how far they are but I’m not complaining since they’re sharing a room with the autos. But they need their space so the autos received their eviction notice this morning and must now live in the woods like a normal plant.
Hindu Kush

still they are growing straight up and no major internode shoots. One does at the bottom, the rest not so much. They are starting to show sex! Looks like one female and 3 males, so the one that looks female I tied down for exposure. Looks like a girl? Still hard to tell but looks like it to me! see the leaves aren’t very big, I’ve seen others here with MONSTER leaves this far along
OGXGG4 RIL

These are doing better with the internode shoots. They look much more green and healthier too with more slender leaves. Love the way these plants look! Also showing their sex, it looks like 2 of the three are female, but still hard to tell. Haven’t decided on tieing them down yet, but most likely will when sure on sex.
Catnip
wanted to see how something different performed in there, and the cats deserve to enjoy a harvest as well.
For fun here’s the two Blue Cheese autos. The big one I moved outside and still waiting for it to finish, it’s pretty darn close one I topped and it didn’t skip a beat. Autos are so much fun, definitely keeping them in the rotation.
Family photo

Yes I’ll get a smaller fan lol
Well that’s it for now, so far so good, perfectly fine with one female with the HK, the main goal is making seeds so next is to figure out which of the 3 males to use and I’ll definitely be asking for opinions on that coming soon!

7 Likes

Nice buds : )

They just look big the autos are just over a foot tall :smiley:. Sure love seeing how fat they get in the last half of flower though. It’s fantastic!

1 Like

I noticed one of the Hindu Kush males are producing 3 sets of leaves alternating instead of 2! It’s triple stacked, never seen this before! Anyone else have this? It’s the plant that started alternating nodes really soon, I’m guessing it couldn’t keep up with its alternations with the leaf production? If this is a genetic trait I’m thinking of using this one for making seeds. It’s pretty cool!

6 Likes

Ok we made it! Today is a double marker, 6 weeks from seed soak, and first day of 12/12! I figured it would be easier to track, plus I need to time it with the males cuz I has to move them outside and the wifey is NOT happy about it lol. They’re hidden in a big compost bin but they’re almost to the top, but they only get a few hours direct sunlight so hopefully they don’t stretch or grow as fast. Here they are at night sleeping. OGXGG4 on right, other 3 the HK

HK female

OGXGG4 RIL

The runt and the biggest. Definitely my favorite

Family photo

Still don’t know how I’m going to be able to make seeds with both of these strains without cross pollinating! I didn’t think this through very well. Guess we’ll find out in a few weeks. Any suggestions are totally welcome. Thanks for stopping by for the updates, I’m super happy with everything so far and I’m loving the OGXGG4 very much, such a beautiful cross! Smells good too, can’t wait for buddage time😊

5 Likes

You have two males in the bin?
Find another hidyhole for one and separate them as much as possible. When the pollen starts flowing, take the girls out to your hidyhole for a little fun in the dark. Put them next to the boys and give the boys a shake. Two hours later give the girls a good rinsing and take them back in.

That’s about how I would approach this.
Good luck. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or
Separate male. Collect pollen and carefully paint pollen on to girls flowers. You can put a bag over the branch you pollinated for a day or two… Uncover and spray them good with water.
I use a Q-tip to paint it on.

2 Likes

You gotta remember though that the pollen will be all over in the air out there. Floyd may have the better idea with manual pollination. I’d still separate those males before they both cover each other with pollen. Then you can’t collect only one strain from the individual plants.

2 Likes

For sure. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

@MoBilly theres THREE HK males in there! I can’t make up my mind which one to use, the one I don’t like I am playing around with topping and guna strip the fan leaves. You know, the stuff you’re tempted to do but won’t dare do to your plant cuz you can’t bring yourself to disturb their beauty lol
I like all of your ideas, I’m afraid I’ll have to harvest the pollen and store it, but the one time I tried that it turned into a sticky hash ball and wasn’t any good! I’m going to read about it here and keep researching

2 Likes

You need to dry the pollen before storing it. Do a search, there are threads on how to do it.

2 Likes

I’ll be interested to see how you decide to go forward. If you are talking about defoliating the males in that bin, I wouldn’t.
If they are only getting a little sun per day I would leave every sun catching leaf on there. That might be the difference in keeping them shorter. They reach out to get sunlight. I would think every leaf that catches light will help keep the plant happy enough that it doesn’t stretch as much.

I’m just spitballing there though. I really don’t know if that would make a difference or not.
What do you think @Floyd ?

1 Like

I don’t have any experience with " bin growing ". Lol. But I think @MoBilly is probably right.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, wife’s been starting up a freeze dried candy business and I’ve been Mr. Mom with the toddlers, they are exhausting! She’s doing AMAZING though and that makes me so proud of Mrs. D!
Males are starting to make flower pretty good now so it’s getting closer! Females still in the transition, thinking of just Qtipping some of the preflowers. Though I read there’s controversy on doing that, as it could hinder the full on bud production since the plant knows it’s making babies. Idk if I believe that though, it doesn’t make sense for a plant to just say “fuck it, I’m pregnant, guna just sit here loligag until harvest”
Hindu Kush

she’s getting big! Seems to has slowed growth past couple days, but starting the transition. Some new shoots are doing a wierd curl thing. Love the stem rub smell. Yummy.
OGXGG4 RIL

This one I pulled most of the fan leaves off to see if the lower branches grow better. Pinched off couple bottom branches that didn’t grow good. No larfy larf today.
the runt. Still my favorite and the biggest but not by much. Leaving this one alone minus the couple small branches at the bottom. They still seem to be stretching

Family photo. Happy plants except for the catnip. The cats got to it lol. I’m loving the buds on this second Blue Cheese auto, it’s WAY frostier then the first! I’m guessing that’s a trait in the different phenos? Some are frostier and more potent? Boy I hope I get a stray seed in this one! Thanks for stopping by!!

7 Likes

Looking good.
As far as pollinating a few early buds. I’ve done it many times and still had good harvests.

2 Likes

@Floyd well I’ll be pollinating as soon as pollen drops cuz well, the schedule won’t permit waiting. Got family coming into town tomorrow, and they’re all Mormons and think weed is satans lettuce so I gots to be as sneaky and quick as I can🤣 got the males in the back yard for now, still trying to figure out how to pull this off! Part of me is thinking just throw the Hindu Kush male in the cab and hit all of em and save trying to pull off both without cross contamination. The OG is a cross of Hindu Kush and purple Kush (I think), so there’s already a bunch of Kush in there, but I’d hate to dirty up your cross too. Ugh the struggle is real

1 Like

OGxGG4 RIL male

Hindu Kush
Screw it. I’m going to keep these two strains separate and preserved just the way I got them. The gifted seeds are too special to me. And Hindu Kush is a classic. Ya I could always buy more, but why when I got the opportunity to preserve it now right??

6 Likes

Good call. IMO

2 Likes

Week 2 update. These OGxGG4 are getting HUGE!!! If I would have known this I would have flipped way earlier! But they looked so small at week 6 I was even thinking that was too early to flip. Easily doubled in Height these past two weeks! Had a scare, I thought I put the OG male in the shed to hide temporarily, came in the next morning and all that was left was the stalk, a damn rat found it! But it was the other HK male, the OG I left outside. So got lucky there. Got the best HK in the cab with the girls and it’s close to dropping, turned all the fans off and got to be quick about control and removal when it’s time. Risky yes, but I’m fine with lots of seeds and it’s ok if the OG gets hit with HK too, OG already has lots of Kush in the line.

After I know the HK pollen did it’s thing I’ll do a more controlled pollination with OG on the OG plant with a tied baggie so I know which those will be, and any other seeds on them will most likely be from stray HK pollen. Messy indeed, but it’s good practice, and I don’t expect to be good at this anytime soon in the near future so I’ll maintain low expectations, you can’t fall far from the floor :rofl:

8 Likes