Afghaniganza! NOW Black Afghani, Cherry Queen, Black Leb and Blue Hemp Leb

Great score on some excellent sounding genetics ,good luck with finding a few keepers!

5 Likes

@lefthandseeds if you have any of the black afghani or cherry queen to spare I would love to add it to the collection.

2 Likes

@Heritagefarms do have some I could give you. The females I had from the black afghani Iā€™m a little shaky on. Itā€™s a very nice strain and a great smoke, but all of my females hermed late flower. I think it may just be present in the line that USC offers. Right now, Iā€™m thinking if I do an expanded run of the F2s I made and canā€™t find any that donā€™t herm, I might take an outcross, stabilize it, incross and stabilize again.

Itā€™s not a huge deal, since the balls develop like 1-2 weeks before chop. Pretty much impossible to grow mature seeds from herm pollen in that timeframe. Just annoyingā€¦

5 Likes

I did see that you had some issues with it, if all the plants went hermie I would have to pass , i thought there was one that dident ,but do agree itā€™s a line worth working if you have time.

2 Likes

There was a female that I thought didnā€™t herm. It was the one that ran late. As I was trimming it, I found 1 cluster of a few balls. So it didnā€™t herm a lot, but the trait was still there. None of them opened or produced pollen at the time of cutting. I have 3 original seeds left that Iā€™ll probably try sometime when I figure out what I want to do with this line ā€“ if I decide to stabilize it out.

For the Cherry Queen, I had 2 phenos for the females. #1 was structurally better, more piney, didnā€™t herm but threw a few stamen (probably in response to light leaks or some other stress). #3 was totally stable, cherry pheno, more leafy and slightly lower yield. Both were pollinated with 2 males.

7 Likes

On average what are you pulling off for dried flower in these 6ā€ pots and how long is your preferred veg period?

3 Likes

It depends a lot on the strain. The Afghani Lowland I grew earlier in the thread yielded a nearly full gallon mason jar. Some of these other Afghanis, just a regular quart mason jar. So Iā€™d say the range is about 2-8oz.

I usually grow pretty compact plants, and only give them about 14-16" square of space. I veg for 3-4 weeks, and start flower pretty small. But Iā€™ve grown big plants, small plantsā€¦ doesnā€™t really matter too much. You can fit a lot of roots in 1 gallon of coco. The main difference is how quickly the roots dry up the pots. If you scale down to the size Iā€™m using, you compensate by feeding 3x per day usually. If you run 5 gallon pots, you probably feed 1x per day.

Thereā€™s a lot of variables that can affect the per plant yield. I havenā€™t done any kind of analysis on the oz/watt metric, which would be a better gauge. But I also donā€™t really care about yield, since I already struggle to give away the amount that I grow. I run high numbers so that I can do more selections when I make seeds. Iā€™m usually throwing whole packs at a time, and if I want to grow it again, I go off whatever I make.

I guess if I werenā€™t making seeds, Iā€™d be more concerned with trying to get the most out of each one. But I usually make at least 10x what I started with, so at some point seeds just pile up and you develop a disregard for the numbers youā€™re using. :joy:

10 Likes

Just for reference, my current Lebanese outdoor plants:

ACE Leb #1:

ACE Leb #2.

Blue Hemp Leb x RSC Leb #1.

Blue Hemp Leb x RSC Leb #2.

12 Likes

:heart_eyes: Thanks for sharing. Thereā€™s so much variation in the Lebanese! Those Blue Hemp x RSC look totally different than the regular Blue Hemps I grew. Itā€™s fascinating.

I donā€™t have a great picture from before flower, but hereā€™s Blue Hemps (2 farthest left, and 1 in back, 2nd row). All had pretty narrow leaves. But the Black Lebs (the other ones that were flopped in this pic) had wider leaves.

15 Likes

2-8 oz from 1 gallon coco pots? Damnā€¦thatā€™s great! I just put 9 in 1 galls into my room, will veg them another week or so and flip. Iā€™d be happy to get 2 from each but Iā€™d definitely prefer 8 lol

How often do you have to water on average? I have a feeling Iā€™m going to be doing ALOT of watering in the near futureā€¦

Edit: Iā€™ll also have about 12-14" of room for each, it looks like you donā€™t top them?

4 Likes

Yea, 14" would be about the same as me. I donā€™t top them. Iā€™ve been flopping/supercropping them, like what @Mr.Sparkle does in his microgrows.

I actually think the plants like the smaller pots more, down to a certain size. It promotes more wet/dry cycles, which gives them more air.

My watering schedule goes something like ā€“
Transplant to 1 gal pots after 2ish weeks in small pots, feed once every 2-3 days at first.
After about a week of that, feed about every day.
Change lights to 12/12 flower.
After about a week of 1x per day, increase to 2x per day.
Another week after that, increase to 3x per day.

You still gotta start them off slow and work up to 3x per day, but it goes pretty quickly. I just pick up the pots every couple days just before lights off, and check if theyā€™re getting really light yet. If theyā€™re feeling pretty dry, you can increase the number of feeds.

All that ā€œcanā€™t overwater cocoā€ talk is total bullshit. Donā€™t believe anyone who says that. Maybe it wonā€™t kill your plants, but they wonā€™t be happy.

11 Likes

I gotcha. Sounds like you have dialled in the perfect set up for your needs and more :v:

5 Likes

3x per day?? Oh boyā€¦what have I signed up for lol

I was watering my 2 gallon hempys every 3 days, so I was assuming these would be every 2 days or maybe 1 in the same space. I guess weā€™ll see. Thanks for the info!

4 Likes

And ya Iā€™m sure itā€™s not hard to overwater coco, but itā€™s also much easier to underwater too. Iā€™ve been used to soil where I would wait for the dirt to pull away from the sides of the pot but thats too far with coco. Its a fine line.

4 Likes

:laughing: well if youā€™re up for an auto water build, itā€™s not too hard, and costs about $50 or so. I use a big 27 gallon tote, aquarium pump, a few PVC parts and a distributor that has 8 lines. Then you just put it on a cycle timer and set a schedule.

Only problem is that Iā€™m bored all week with nothing to do! Something something watching grass growā€¦

8 Likes

Believe me Iā€™m already researching just that lol. Donā€™t want to be chained to my plants all summer!

3 Likes

lmao!!! Iā€™d like to experience some of that before deciding against itā€¦ I might just like that.

1 Like

Dude the cherry Queen sounds right up my alley if you have any of those seeds left I would love to trade a few for a few just to try to get a female looking for a keeper indica could help with my pain just keep me in mind if you can I would definitely appreciate it dude thanks for taking your time out with show us and post about it beautiful pictures

3 Likes

One more question, do you use the chunky coco ā€˜croutonsā€™, straight coco, or a mix? Iā€™ve been loving a mix with the chunks but made a point not to add them to this batch of 1 galls in the hope that they wonā€™t be so overly thirsty in these smaller pots.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using the CocoBliss blocks that are available on Amazon. Itā€™s not the chunky variety, or even very coarse. It holds more water than coarser stuff, but I mix about 20-30% perlite into it. I was using it 100%, but mid-flower, the roots would get too dense and cause drainage/aeration issues. Iā€™d imagine that your mix with the chunks do a similar thing. In such small pots though, itā€™s probably easier to get the perlite mixed well due to it being smaller pieces.

6 Likes