Afghaniganza! NOW Black Afghani, Cherry Queen, Black Leb and Blue Hemp Leb

BlackDak Chop Day @ 65 days flower

50% Black Domina
25% Afghani Kush
25% Pre98 Bubba Kush

Here are some selected photos of my favorites from the run:

BlackDak #1

BlackDak #5

These were all incredibly dense plants. But rot is a major concern, so I cut everything off of the stems and separated most of the larger buds before drying. Even though it’s a PITA to work with buds of this density sometimes, they’re also kind of fun. When I finish building my dream team Afghani, I want to use it with some of the more wispy, unusual sativas from the Himalayas and SE Asia. I think the extreme density and potency of these will lend pretty well to that purpose.

One interesting thing about these is that they mostly smell like their aunt (not the mother). Especially #1 had a berry smell to it, and the main cola has a very similar shape. Resin was definitely increased from the original domina plants, tending toward the Dakini side. Bud structure was more similar to black domina. Very little lateral branching – #1 had an extremely columnar shape, and was rather tall.

BlackDak #2,3,4 aren’t as compelling to me as 1 & 5. I think 1 is likely to be the one I take seeds from. Structurally, I think this line will be improved when I bring it back together with the LowDak line.

Next step is to bring the lines together, using the best selections of each 2nd outcross. That’ll probably look like:

LowDak x A
x
BlackDak x B

with the lowland side as the mother plant. For A,B the seeds I’ve made (and am currently drying) can be from PTK, Black Afghani or Cherry Queen. I’ll need some help from whoever wants to run testers to get a good indication of where this goes next. Those will be offered up in 1-2 weeks.

Finally, once the choices are made, I’ll make the cross and probably spend a few generations stabilizing it.

20 Likes

No problem, I’ll figure it out. So far they’re only drinking every 2-3 days so I might be ok this round.

Beautiful colors on that #5!

3 Likes

Absolutely fantastic looking plants! Wish I was operational already… would love to see these things in person. I’ll have to see where you’re at next year :+1:

4 Likes

So, is the Bubba from the Dak, or are you using it, too? I’m sorry, I haven’t been able to read catch up on the thread yet… I’ll have to get in here and get up to speed.

They make really nice looking plants!

1 Like

Thanks man! Yea the bubba comes from one of the strains I started with called Dakini Kush. It’s a nice, stable strain that is just very kush-y smelling. Comes from Centennial Seeds in Louisville, CO.

Initially I reversed it and crossed it to a Lowland Afghani (LowDak) and a pheno I really like of Black Domina (BlackDak). Now I’ve just finished growing those out and crossing them to some more Afghanis that I also grew earlier (Black Afghani and Cherry Queen), and also Pine Tar Kush. So that’s where we’re at right now.

I’ve trimmed and pulled the seeds out of the LowDak side, and today I just chopped the BlackDak. So after I finish pulling seeds from the Blacks, I’ll get testers out to people and use that data to make some decisions on which hybrids from the Lowland side get crossed to which hybrids on the Black side.

10 Likes

I thought I’d seen Dakini Kush somewhere and that’s where I get the idea. I wonder what the BlackDak and Pine Tar would be like? I haven’t had the Pine Tar but I’m realizing I miss the piney terps. I’m guessing it has some pine?

Hey I have a few beans called Lemon Bubba which is that Lemon Thai IX I told you about and the pre98Bubba. I had another cross with it as a parent and the LT and Bubba still came to the front to me and I got that old school Thai and some pine coming through that really got me excited. I knew then it’s a flavor I’ve really missed and never get anymore. This is my first time for the Lemon Bubba but I’m excited for it.

It might be a good candidate for some of the Afghan or Paki or even that PTK…

I have a couple starting up now and may get to produce some seeds. I think I have both male and female… I might make some because I can, but then try and do a selection run later on the LB to select better for a better f2. I may have a few beans of the f1 I could donate… gotta look. I may be able to get another pack. I got you some of those Afghan CBD/BA coming if you have time for them. Cris threw in extras he said.

Man, I have to read this thread. this is a cool project you’re documenting… I could learn a thing or two, heh. Best vibes bro. peace

3 Likes

Reminds me… You can also use blumats with coco. Those are probably the easiest setup. I’ve thought about trying them, but just don’t really have a need.

Might check in on this dude’s post:

2 Likes

Oh ya I’ve seen those a few times in my reading, they definitely seem well liked by people who use them. Something to look into for the ‘technically lacking’ folks like me lol…thanks

3 Likes

Enjoying the thread @lefthandseeds especially what you’ve gathered from using coco, for someone who’s always looking for more sustainable ways of using different medias coco will be the media of choice in the future IMO , unfortunately I have like 5 bails of peat in my garage I got in the cheap for like 12$/ bail guess I could sell them off for like 18$ or so, but my question is on organic setup how does coco hold up as far as media breakdown with microbes in living soils similar to peat you think? I’m really digging what you’ve thrown out in your findings in the air ratios coco has to offer .

7 Likes

ummmhmmm…so in that worm bin I started I put two expanded bricks of coco in the middle to see if the worms would use if as a ‘neutral’ bedding if the media got too hot/wet. So far I have not seen them using it. I have no idea how it would do long term but I do know sphagnum peat has a tendency to turn into muck/compact long term.

3 Likes

One of the issues from what iv heard from using coco is that some coco may have salt accumulation in it and may need rinsed /soaked several times before use hope this is not the issue with it in the worm bins how long has it been in the bins?

3 Likes

from the start. It was about 4 gallons once expanded in a 5 gallon bucket. It was soaked and rinsed. Not several times though.

3 Likes

I would love a tester so I can do a complete grow log, and test some of the new toys I got side by side. Plus the pictures you take of your flower are amazing and it seem like you have really stable genetics, plus where I live, northwest Montana, we don’t have any strains like yours. I hope I hear from you soon and thank you for your time and help.

7 Likes

I very much appreciate your Grow philosophy @lefthandseeds. What you are doing with the Afghans is fascinating. I would be proud to test for you some day. Much respect
:cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

Thanks for the support @oleskool830. Tester time is coming up pretty soon. I’ll be pulling seeds from the blackdak starting tonight probably through this weekend. After that they just need to dry a few days in my dessicator.

I’ll offer the new black/low crosses when they are dry enough to package. Should be less than a week from now!

6 Likes

Some brands are already washed well enough, some aren’t. Usually you can just hydrate the bricks and test with an ec pen. The one I buy is usually under 0.5ec without any extra rinsing. But I have bought some that were closer to ~1, and I did rinse those before I transplanted.

5 Likes

I know that you can use coco with organics, and I think they hold microbes quite well. I am not certain about how the lower CEC of coco will impact things… But, you can also mix coco/peat/perlite as a substrate, which might be your best option. The benefit of adding some coco will be greatly reduced compaction and more air to the roots.

3 Likes

Holy fuck boys, this bud is STRONG. This is a bud from BlackDak #5. These are ultra dense resin rocks. Difficult to manage in terms of bud rot, but WOW. Worth it.

Smoked a half bowl of the #1 after de-seeding last night and it put me on my ass. Smoked a full bowl a few hours after that and was to the moon. Stronger than the Black Domina alone, and way stronger than the Dakini. The taste of #1 was split right down the middle of both – a little spicy from the domina mom and a little kushy from the Dakini.

High is a straight headrush, just full head. Not sleepy, yet super couchlocky… very weird. After the initial rush on half a bowl, I thought I might have overdone it. After that, my head felt heavy. Devastating, paralyzing stone. Woke up groggy this morning.

The LowDak is completely different. It has some limonene terps for sure. Whereas the BlackDak is the darkside of indicas, the LowDak is completely different. It’s a more intelligent high, inspires very creative thinking. While the BlackDak will probably scare the shit out of some people, the LowDak is very reassuring, confident and relaxing – an anti-anxiety strain. I generally prefer the LowDak for an every day smoke, but the black is fun too if I really want to go for a ride!

Looking forward to getting these Low/BlackDak outcrosses out to people. Since these are fem-only, I’ll be trying to evaluate whether to go forward with the outcrosses, or cross back on the lines to make regs. BlackDak outcrosses are a good candidate for crossing back to the line. For the BD outcrosses, plant structure will be important to me, as I’m not a huge fan of the very tall, columnar shape these had.

22 Likes

Wow that sounds amazing man! Looks delicious too, I don’t think you sent me this one dude . Got the jungle spice x black Domina, which I’m sure is just as amazing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Brother you’ve got me salivating on my boots! That BlakDak #5 is a must have for oleskool. I love that style of high. If you have any spares…

Oleskool will dance for seeds!

8 Likes