Afghaniganza Part 4: Gahn baby gahn

Looking good!

I usually go with three hour timing, as soon as the plants can handle it. I’ve used two hour cycles before as well, with good results.

Interesting lights. I’ll be watching to see how your experience with them goes.

3 Likes

The new digs

Movin’ on up! The old tent has been completely dismantled and pulled apart. I’m going for fixed ebb and flow buckets in two tents. The 4x4 that I typically use for males is getting converted into an ebb and flow system for males, and I have a new 4x8 setup.

The pride and joy of my DIY adventures is that 4-gang outlet unit, which has 3 separate control channels connected to relays and 1 fixed output that I use to power the raspberry pi zero-w inside the box. Then I run all of my timings through node red, which provides a convenient web interface.

The little trash can ebb and flow buckets are 2 gallon hydrofarm active aqua with an active aqua controller. I’m going to start with hydroton and see how it goes from there. Fan is a cloudline t8. I moved up to an 8" fan, but don’t yet have an 8" carbon filter. We’ll see how the 6inch does and go from there. Lights are a mish-mash, but row of plants has 2 atreum lm301 or 561 quantum boards and a 70W solstrip in between. I didn’t have enough room for 1 set of lights, but the last row will be filled in by 2x QB96 from HLG. I had 2 odd size 2.8A 150W meanwell drivers, and I’m going to put one on each plant. I also have a 30W DIY deep red photoinitiator that I’ll plug into the 3rd channel. It might not be enough spread for the whole tent.

Now I’m just waiting on some barbed fittings to arrive from amazon so I can hook up the buckets. This is what happens when you wait until the last minute to set everything up lol. Hopefully they can stay squeezed in there until Thursday. I might have to cull a few now.

30 Likes

Sweet set up there.

5 Likes

Really nice set up.

1 Like

I’m getting eager to get these into flower… still a few more days before I even have enough fittings to make it work. I culled 3 plants to make a little more room. One plant had a defect with no growth nodes out the top (self topped), one had a split main (also self-topped) and one had 2 plants growing from one seed.

I still have a few more to cull, but the root systems are looking good and the plants are healthy. I like that the tree pots help guide the roots and keep them from swirling around. if you zoom on the picture, you can see that most of the roots are fairly downward directed. Some nice starts… I like it! Roots look a little overwatered. I’m going to step back the feeds just a bit.

21 Likes

That’s pretty cool, I like that.

1 Like

I dunno man… What was wrong with ‘Girls Gahn Wild?’

But yeah gahnna have to pull up a chair.

13 Likes

:joy::+1: nice

7 Likes

Looking forward to seeing these finish.

6 Likes

It looking great @lefthandseeds the new digs are smoking hot!!! Great diy work!! Enjoying the ride!! Blessings

5 Likes

Black Lebanon x Black Afghani

Things are starting to get real tight in here. Plants have to get moved this weekend. I’ll be working hard to get everything setup to make it happen.

31 Likes

Looking forward to see them flowering!! Some damn beautiful girls and boys your growing there @lefthandseeds :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::v::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

The plant in the lower right is a darker green than the others. Excited to see how these progress.

2 Likes

Everything is looking good bro nice setup

2 Likes

These lights are going to be the odd ball in the setup. But I had 2x 150W, 2.8A drivers… and these work out well for those. Found 2 3ft lengths of angle aluminum in the garage, now to mount the drivers and put them up in the tent tomorrow.

23 Likes

Those black crosses look great @lefthandseeds

4 Likes

Hydrofarm just about sent me to the funny farm with this one… long story, but I needed a bunch of T and elbow connectors to get everything hooked up. So of course I thought “hmm I’ll just order the hydrofarm connectors”. After reading a bunch of reviews and how they all leaked, I decided to go to Lowes and assess my options. Of course, of all the irrigation connectors they had, none of them fit hydrofarm tubing.

So next thing I do is order a bunch of Hydrofarm connectors, because what choice do I have, and 1/2" PEX crimp clamps. Of course, none of the clamps fit hydrofarm tubing when they are pushed over a barbed connector. Fuck. Left with few other choices, I decide to wing it and just push fit everything and hope for the best.

Of course, every goddamn connector leaks at every goddamn joint… I quickly look for 5/8" PEX clamps at Lowes. No dice. Home depot? No dice. Amazon – of course they stock everything China has, and :raised_hands::raised_hands: praise bezos :raised_hands::raised_hands: they ship in 1 day, on a Sunday at that. Nothing short of a modern slavery miracle.

Thankfully they even worked, and now I’m drip free. I loathe worm drive clamps after all the time I’ve fussed with them, still had leaks with them and cut myself on their unfinished edges I did not want to go back to them.

Irrigation is a go, lights are a go, now to setup plants, mix nutes and set a schedule. Whew… workin hard.

Lesson: If you’re putting together a hydrofarm system, clamp EVERY connection. Pulling tubing off of barbed connectors sucks. Get 5/8" PEX clamps and a ratchet tool for 1/2" hydrofarm tubing and go to town.

26 Likes

I had similar problems at one point with those stupid plumbing pieces :rage:

Looks slick now, bro. Bet it’s gonna work out great :grinning:

3 Likes

Whew this took some doing to get it all done this weekend. But here we are. Plants are in the new system, reservoir is mixed and the first flood/drain cycle has been completed. There’s 2 more sites (not shown). I was standing at the back of the tent. I’ll get more pictures later, but tonight, these guys and gals start their first 12 hour nap.

Now I have 1 more time crunch. In the next day or two, I need to setup my male 4x4 tent. I will be make-shifting a top feed and drain system using a cat litter box. Stay tuned…

25 Likes

Thanks man. I’m pretty excited to get it going. I’ve wanted more space for my plants for a long time. Now they have 4 square feet each, and as much vertical space as they want. It’s like double the area and probably nearly double the height I was using before. And I think hydro is going to work pretty great for my extremely soft water… We’ll see how it goes, but I’m pretty excited.

11 Likes