Anybody else like to fish?

Ya man I always release musky!

3 Likes

Finally got a chance to go fishing after work. Nice little hole under the bridge to nowhere. Since the spot is only a few kms downstream from 2 major oilsands plants nobody keeps fish. But they looked healthy and between the 3 of us we got 7 in 2 hours. 4 walleye a northern pike and two greasy goldeyes. One walleye had to be close to 5lbs the rest were pretty small. Cool thing happened while we were fishing. A smallish norther pike beached himself right in front of us. You could tell it was just in another fishes mouth. Fresh wounds almost in a ring all around it. Little guy was desperate

8 Likes

we call goldeneye, mooneyes.

3 Likes

image000000 carp fishing on Lake Ontario yesterday 10 minutes from home

13 Likes

thats a biggun there, do you smoke them as in a smoker. Lol

4 Likes

@OleReynard catch and release most times…unless the china folk watching get in a bidding war,made some good coin of them​:rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

2 diff species

4 Likes

Yeah i like to fish. Haven’t fished in a long time though. I prefer river fishing over lakes but I prefer hunting over all of it

5 Likes

I’ve snagged them by accident before and they sure put up a hell of a fight.

2 Likes

I see that now mooneyes are large skipjack goldeyes are herring

3 Likes

Tell me more about these goldeye/mooneyes, not something im familiar with.

Edit: Never mind, didnt read far enough down!

2 Likes

@MBVapester this one was 22lbs a baby to some of the big girls we can hook here…They take some awesome runs had spools stripped clean before.

3 Likes

Thats aweful to hear :disappointed_relieved: its bad enough they are dying from lack of oxygen, even worse that people are stressing them to death on top of it. The stream in my town is 75 degrees and barely moving this last month or so, brook trout are becoming harder to find every spring and if they didnt stock browns there likely wouldnt be any at all.

4 Likes

If they didn’t stock brook trout and salmon Nova Scotia wouldn’t have either. The invasives have taken over. Rainbow and brown trout . Chain pickerel and SMB . Our water quality has downgraded so much that the invasive species are the only ones who can survive and reproduce.
The most popular fishing in Cape Breton for the past few years has been for escapee rainbows from a fish farm.
It is disgusting and heart breaking.

4 Likes

Im sorry to hear that. Its sad to see greed ruining the natural beauty of the world around us. I only hope that we can collectively make a change before it is too late but It wont be easy in the oligarchy we all live in.

6 Likes

Went out about 80k to the outer reef last weekend and drift fished between reefs at about 80m…
Water visibility was awesome and we had a serious arm stretching session

This is at 30 m depth!

Some of the catch.

12 Likes

I’m looking at those Acropora in the water. Where approximately is this? I would love to see some more pictures of the reef! I’m way better at growing Acropora than Cannabis for sure.

7 Likes

This is on the Great Barrier Reef and is a shoal called Arab Reef off Ingham in Queensland, Australia.

I didn’t take too many photos of the reef itself but these are what I have… This part of the world is spectacular and well worth a visit when it becomes possible to fly again…

Onshore its like this

Hard place to live mate :smile:

17 Likes

Not only is the low and warm water killing them , but now they get diseases we never had and shouldn’t have here. This salmon has what is known as ick . It is a disease fish in a dirty aquarium get.

12 Likes

Yeah man, the fish are really feeling the warmer waters hey?.. the range of the reef fish here has gone totally whack and we are catching tropical reef fish hundreds of miles south of their normal range, but also oddly I an catching more lost cold water fish… like the Rosy Jobfish in the pics I posted earlier, this is a fish that should not be in the tropics. Also ciguatera is migrating south and ending up in a bigger range of smaller fish.

5 Likes