Anybody else like to fish?

now thats a small one

4 Likes

That’s what she said to G.I. Joe last night.
:wink:

2 Likes

My first salmon on a fly, a fall wild native landlocked Atlantic salmon. Still the biggest on a fly rod, but that first I posted above is my current PB. Same watershed but that bigger one was stocked as a young fish with a clipped fin.

A month or so later, my second LL salmon, this one was from the outlet of the lake, very different colors, and likely a stocked fish (stocked fish are from outlet spawners, the natives usually go to inlets)

Before anyone says anything, yes I’m positive this is a fall colored salmon, not a brown trout. That comes up every fall/winter when someone catches a brown trout or salmon :rofl:.

11 Likes

Nice fish and on a fly well done…I have a creek 5 minutes from home.The owner of Parkview Golf Course which the Rouge River flows through has rearing ponds on the course for raising trout and salmon.He was also president of the Toronto Anglers Federation.Every year for the past 20 years the Scarborough Boys n Girls club along with Scout Canada and local Anglers in the spring would do a clean up of Highland Creek which runs through Morningside Park.He in turn would bring a huge tank truck and we would release thousands of fingerling salmon that would make their way to lake Ontario.We are now blessed in a city of a million people to have yearly Chinooks up to 40lbs coming up the creek to spawn.Heading to investigate through the week if they are running yet as we have had little rain the past month.

7 Likes

Chinooks and cohos have been running for a month in eastern lake ontario.

5 Likes

Thanks Craig good to know.will be taking a trek to the creek this week

3 Likes

First salmon of the year.

17 Likes

Nice fish! How in the world did you gain the nickname Shaggy? Lol

6 Likes

Preparing cured shrimp for freshwater and saltwater fishing. Salt cured shrimp will last for years in the freezer. Its a great backup bait when you don’t have time to stop at the bair shop.

One pound headless colossal shrimp purchased from seafood market. The shells are removed and shrimp are covered with a layer of coarse salt in a ziplock or container. The last photo is current yogurt container of salted shrimp that lives in the freezer between fishing trips.

8 Likes

pretty sure that’s the same shrimp my local chinese joint uses. the years old part anyway… lol

7 Likes

Still hooked mangrove snapper and bluegills. I saw one local Chinese buffet at one spot on the river. Easy fishing for crabs and variety of fish for the buffet :yum:

2 Likes

do you ever use soft shell crayfish for bait?

1 Like

No, I have not. I use worms crickets bread and shrimp in fresh water. People who castnet have more options

2 Likes

no minnows either? we occasionally use soft shell crayfish for perch (more expensive) when they aren’t hitting minnows or lures, usually use minnows though.

i think castnets here are only legal for catching baitfish (for example alewife, which are awesome bait for salmon during the right time in the season when you’re not casting.)

it’s been so long since i’ve fished, this thread is giving me the itch. rusty memory but when I did fish I went for perch/trout/salmon.

2 Likes

There are mud minnows. I fish in Florida. There are few freshwater pond, millions of storm water retention ponds, brackish water rivers and the Atlantic Ocean off piers or boats

1 Like

I have seen fresh and caught saltwater perch there’s many saltwater trout species. I like mangrove snapper, red fish, sheepshead, black drum, spotted sea trout, bluefish and pompano. Sharks, catfish, ladyfishl, and tons of other bait, game and nuisance fish keep it interesting

2 Likes

If I use bait, open water it’s usually nightcrawlers, or mealworms/superworms from the pet store. When it comes to ice fishing, it’s nightcrawlers on traps for trout, and waxworms for my jigging rods. If I’m not in trout water, I don’t even set traps, I love to move and jig with sonar. I just hate having to deal with live baitfish, I’ll buy them that day if we need them. On the special trips for salmon, lake trout or pike I’ll get smelt or suckers.

3 Likes

I have seen movies with ice fishing. It looks interesting but too damn cold.

I love live bait… it’s like ringing the dinner bell. Lures are tiring if you have neuromuscular issues

3 Likes

I absolutely love ice fishing, I use to hate the heat and got cold easily, but I acclimated to the outdoors quickly once I got hooked on hunting/fishing again. I can definitely appreciate the need/usefulness of live bait, I do love seeing a bobber go under still (who can ever get tired of that). As for the comment of ringing the dinner bell, you would love that part of ice fishing! Here in Maine, we are only allowed two lines being used while fishing open water, but when ice fishing we’re allowed 5 lines. Those lines are used on set line traps, and when a fish bites, A flag literally Goes up and everyone yells FLAG! Most people spend most of the time in a shelter of some sort, drinking/smoking for the day. It’s like a day of camping, but out on the ice with a chance to catch a fish. The real hard core people have full blown living room setups in their permanent shelters. They can actually catch a fish from a couch while watching fishing videos!

8 Likes

My uncle owned a heating/aircondition business.We built a shelter for 6 guys on skis to pull it around.2 for over nights with fold down beds.he hooked up propane lamps,a heater and a coleman stove for cooking and making coffee.Ice fishing was always about the boys getting together for a day of drinking and smoking,get away from the women ,catching fish was just an added bonus.We did alot of walleye,pike and perch fishing.

7 Likes